Fun & games at Bangkok Airport

nglodnig

1 hour ago, proton said:

Departure gates are not on boarding passes, look for the flight number to see the gate. There is only one Airport in Bangkok the other one is in Samut Prakan

Every flight I've ever taken out of bkk has had a gate listed on the boarding pass so not sure what airline you fly on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Every flight I've ever taken out of bkk has had a gate listed on the boarding pass so not sure what airline you fly on. 

If you check in early often the gate is not known in which case you need to look at the (scarce) info boards at a later time. We checked in more than two hours before and there was no gate on the boarding pass. 

It was Bangkok Airways btw code-shared with at least three other (non-Thai) airlines

Edited by nglodnig

3 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

If you check in early often the gate is not known in which case you need to look at the (scarce) info boards at a later time. We checked in more than two hours before and there was no gate on the boarding pass. 

It was Bangkok Airways btw code-shared with at least three other (non-Thai) airlines

yes ....  and that's because if a passenger checks in prior to normal gate allocation time then it won't be shown on the boarding pass.   

2 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

I've checked in 2 to 3 hours early and never had a boarding pass at bkk that didn't have a gate listed. Im in and out 2 or 3 times a year.  Its regular occurrence in Qatar to not have a gate listed though but thats more a result of all the construction going on there. Maybe its just your airline.  I don't think Code Sharing has anything to do with the gate. That's assigned by the airport to the actual carrier aircraft.

2 hours ago, Keeps said:

I can understand the confusion - especially when there are several airlines code sharing a particular flight.

It's similar on the evening flights from London Heathrow to Bangkok. EVA Air departs 21.35, Thai Airways 21.25. Whilst waiting at the EVA gate you always, without fail, see the realisation dawn on some people that they are at the wrong gate and they go scrambling off to get to the Thai Airways gate. 

Those sort shouldn't be allowed to travel.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

Departure gates are not on boarding passes, ...

Some are and some aren't. Long haul tends to have the gate assigned, but short-haul and domestic can be more 'dynamic'. If the gate isn't assigned yet, the check-in staff will circle the blank bit on the boarding pass and tell you to watch the screens.  If one speed-reads the screens and makes a mistake, one can post about the(ir in)experience on internet forums.

I nearly missed a flight in Kl once - KUL-BKK..,

Gate C10 (or something similar)…. Knowing that int’l departures ‘usually’ left from the satellite building, I headed over there & had a couple of beers…

went to C10 & it was empty…

The gate was G10 & I had to hightail it back to the main terminal.

Printing on boarding pass was crappy. 

& for the record… 2 airports in KL..

& yes, I wrote a book about the drama, which is now being made into a 1min docu-series ! 

• Like 1