Thai marriage visa is there a background check

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

This requirement is particularly common for long-term visas, such as retirement or marriage visas.

Only the Non Imm O-A or O-X visas are sometimes referred to as the long stay visa and can only be applied for on the basis of retirement.

Just which site are you getting this nonsense information from.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Indeed. 

OP mentioned "background check" 

Seems OP asking about non O based on Thai spouse.

No "check" is required regardless of applied for in pp country or Thailand.

The visas you mentioned require Police Clearance check as you point out. 

Some misleading posts in this thread. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, edwardflory said:

AMERICANS ..NEED.. a clearance letter from the US Embassy that you are "free to marry". Costs $50USD, it's a sworn document before a embassy officer. Then it must be translated to THAI ( by a certified translator )

And?

I imagine the OP is aware of that as he got married last month.

10 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Only the Non Imm O-A or O-X visas are sometimes referred to as the long stay visa and can only be applied for on the basis of retirement.

His post is straight off either Bard or ChatGPT AI site

22 hours ago, Will B Good said:

The discussion is about a "marriage" visa (which doesn't exist) not retirement.

I pointed out the background check is required for the Non-O....which is a requirement.

There is no 'marriage visa'......you extend your Non-O based on whatever......in this case the guy is discussing extending based on marriage......even an idiot knows we are talking about marriage to a thai.

Apart from that well done.

Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 11.19.22.png

I just applied for my Non "O"  after going out and killing off the O- A visa and no background check - so must assume that as as I had already done the background check for the O-A ,  then it was not applicable to my O application.

Therefore  if one has already had an existing visa and background check done previously ,  then it is NOT required again .

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GmailJen said:

I just applied for my Non "O"  after going out and killing off the O- A visa and no background check - so must assume that as as I had already done the background check for the O-A ,  then it was not applicable to my O application.

Therefore  if one has already had an existing visa and background check done previously ,  then it is NOT required again .

Nothing to do with your previous non-OA.  It is NOT required for a non-O

12 minutes ago, GmailJen said:

No. 

It's simple...for a non O-A application a criminal background check is required. 

In many countries that can be done online.

Application for non O both marriage or retirement does NOT require this regardless of previously having done a non O-A application 

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Nothing to do with your previous non-OA.  It is NOT required for a non-O

I was referring to the post by "Will B Good"  whom stated a background check is required for the Non O .    

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No. 

It's simple...for a non O-A application a criminal background check is required. 

In many countries that can be done online.

Application for non O both marriage or retirement does NOT require this regardless of previously having done a non O-A application 

22 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Yes, for certain types of Non-Immigrant “O” visas for Thailand, a criminal background check may be required, depending on the purpose and the Thai consulate or embassy you are applying through. This requirement is particularly common for long-term visas, such as retirement or marriage visas.

Here’s a breakdown:

1. Non-Immigrant “O” Visa (Retirement)

• A criminal background check is often required for retirees applying for long-term stays. This is usually requested as part of the initial visa application process.

2. Non-Immigrant “O” Visa (Marriage)

• For those applying based on being married to a Thai national, some embassies or consulates may request a criminal background check, though it is not always a mandatory requirement at all locations.

3. Non-Immigrant “O” Visa (Other)

• For other subcategories, such as volunteering or being a guardian of a Thai child, a criminal background check might also be requested.

It is important to check the specific requirements of the Thai consulate or embassy you plan to apply to, as the documentation requirements can vary depending on the location and the particular visa category.

I applied in Belgium (Retirement). No background check. Maybe only for America?