How to use aircon to keep the air dry?

Lorry

This morning,  outside was colder then inside,  so a/c switched itself off (my experience with many brands).

Air in the room got very stuffy and humid. 

Opening the window,  not possible,  too noisy.

Fan, too windy,  cannot sleep. 

I have seen the word "dry" on many remotes,  does it have a meaning?  I have very poor experiences with a/c remotes and their buttons. Never seen understandable instructions, never seen anybody who understood them (including Mitsu staff).

Any ideas?

Daikin, 12y.o.

31 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I have seen the word "dry" on many remotes,  does it have a meaning?  I have very poor experiences with a/c remotes and their buttons.

Works fine on my Samsung you can set the temp. to whatever you want and it will continue 'drying' the air. Go on be a devil and press the button..........:dry:

Thx for the answers,  but just as I thought:

Remote has a button " MODE" 

Pressed it > can scroll 3 icons:

a snowflake, I guess it means cooling mode

a fan blade, I guess it means fan-only mode

an almost invisible icon in an unlit dark corner of the screen,  it could be water drops??? TGF when asked what this is,20241004_142617.thumb.jpg.8bce74f0657e29e701ecc71797744de6.jpg said "mai lu ".

Is this how Daikin says "dry mode"? (Or is it to make the a/c start dripping? Or is it something completely different?)

Yeah I think that is the dry mode

be aware that to remove moisture the compressor has to run keeping the indoor unit (evaporator) cool and causing condensation to form  so the temperature will drop and more electricity will be used depending on how low you normally set the temperature.

13 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Thx for the answers,  but just as I thought:

Remote has a button " MODE" 

Pressed it > can scroll 3 icons:

a snowflake, I guess it means cooling mode

a fan blade, I guess it means fan-only mode

an almost invisible icon in an unlit dark corner of the screen,  it could be water drops??? TGF when asked what this is,20241004_142617.thumb.jpg.8bce74f0657e29e701ecc71797744de6.jpg said "mai lu ".

Is this how Daikin says "dry mode"? (Or is it to make the a/c start dripping? Or is it something completely different?)

Yes, the drip is universal, often

Screenshot_2024-10-04-14-40-56-662_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Lorry said:

This only makes sense if dry mode makes the air even dryer than cooling mode.

Is this really the case?

I don't know but that same advice i see a lot, i guess you could try it and see, if you end up with an ify throat may be due to dry mode

3 minutes ago, Lorry said:

This only makes sense if dry mode makes the air even dryer than cooling mode.

Is this really the case?

To remove moister from the air the aircon has to cool the temperature in the room  this happens at the evaporator coil in the cooled room    imagine  a very cold glass of beer  sat on a table on a warm day water vapour is pulled from the surrounding air and condensates on the cold glass causing a puddle of water on the table ( this is removed moisture) 

to remove more moister the  cool surface has to either be cooler ( up to a point)  or be cooler for longer,  making the cool requires energy  to run the  compression/evaporation cycle thus using more electricity.

After below about 40%  humidity (moister level)  some people start to  experience dry nose,sinus,eyes  and throat  so too "dry" is not so good  and costs more money.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't know but that same advice i see a lot, i guess you could try it and see, if you end up with an ify throat may be due to dry mode

Good idea.

I tried to read up on this,  but stopped when a a/c site from Singapore recommended to use dry mode "in the early hours of the morning, when humidity is highest". So, set my alarm to 5a.m. to switch on dry mode, and go to bed again??? Sorry, maybe this fits a Singapore lifestyle, but not me.

a. The very best way is to seal the room, fairly well, so that there is minimum air exchange between outside and inside air.

Doing this should be obvious.

b. Then, just turn AC to COOL mode.

c. Set AC thermostat to whatever setting you prefer....for me 18 degrees C....but for you....maybe 25 degrees C...or whatever....

Don't worry, it won't get to cold for you...because.....

d. Find the old space heater you have stored away, or go buy a space heater of about 1000 to 1200 watts.

e.  Turn on AC and simultaneously turn on the space heater in the same room.  I suggest setting the space heater to med setting, around 600 Watts, or so.

f.  Now, your room will become quite dry, with the relative humidity in the room....probably about 50%, or most likely lower.

Just leave it like that until the weather outdoors changes.

Simple as pie.

I have used this method to goof effect in the past, but not necessary for me in Thailand, because I like the room so cold, anyway.

Hope this helps.

image.png.147a349ba401ffc890ee1a985f7cb09b.png

Also, buy Amazon, whenever you can, rather than the local garbage with incompetent sales clerks...is my other piece of good advice.

Hope this helps.

No worries....this will work without fail....

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

d. Find the old space heater you have stored away, or go buy a space heater of about 1000 to 1200 watts.

e.  Turn on AC and simultaneously turn on the space heater in the same room.  I suggest setting the space heater to med setting, around 600 Watts, or so.

And consequently use twice as much electricity. Warming up a room with an air con turned on is the most ridiculous thing I have heard from you. But, of course, for you money is no object.

A similar thing to someone putting their air con on 18 so it is as cool as in the home country, and sleeping under a 13 TOG duvet.