Chiang Mai on High Alert as Ping River Surges Beyond 5.25 Metres

Georgealbert

IMG_6396.jpeg

The city of Chiang Mai is facing a critical situation as the water level of the Ping River has surged past 5.25 meters early morning of October 5, resulting in severe flooding on Chang Klan Road. The water continues to rise rapidly, and the current is dangerously strong, causing growing concerns for residents and businesses in the area.

Local YouTube channel “LIVEREAL” broadcasted a live stream covering the flood situation for over three hours, capturing the swift inundation across the city. Between midnight and 01:00, floodwaters began overflowing into downtown areas at an alarming pace, with Chang Klan Road, the Night Bazaar, and Wat Uppakut quickly submerged.

As authorities monitor the rising water levels, residents in affected areas are urged to stay vigilant and follow safety guidelines as the floodwaters continue to threaten the city.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-05

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Sad 2

We gave up and went to bed at 11:30pm last night with the water only inches from our house. The sois all around us are flooded and the force of water coming down the klongs is like Niagra Falls!

We're in Mae Rim, North of Chiang Mai and this is the first time this area has ever flooded in the memory that anyone here can remember. Our floods have now moved South to the City, our water levels here are receding slightly this morning but are still dangerously high. These latest floods were caused by releases of water from the Mae Tang Dam, we knew about them yesterday morning and were warned in advance, I'm not sure Chiang Mai was! 

If there's no more water releases for a few days, we'll be fine. If not, it's going to be a very difficult time for everyone.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Was in town last night, at 8pm the roads going past wat Fa Ham were all flooded and blocked to traffic down to Au Der Auf, Loi Krow was flooded from the river to the boxing ring. Couldn't see the night bazaar as the water was too deep.

I've never seen it this bad before.

Agreed, it's easily the worst we'v e seen in 20 years. Today, I'm taking a sledge to the wall over the klong in our garden, I never dreamed it could be a threat but last night the water was so high it was blocking flow and causing it to back up and threaten the house. I see lots of DIY in my future!

• Sad 1

1 hr ago.  The Ping has overflowed at the U-Turn under the bridge near NIS school, now impassible.  The ground water and storm drains in our moo ban are starting to back up a good 2km from the Ping.

20241005_102450.jpg

20241005_101104.jpg

Edited by DrPhibes
content

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

We gave up and went to bed at 11:30pm last night with the water only inches from our house. The sois all around us are flooded and the force of water coming down the klongs is like Niagra Falls!

We're in Mae Rim, North of Chiang Mai and this is the first time this area has ever flooded in the memory that anyone here can remember. Our floods have now moved South to the City, our water levels here are receding slightly this morning but are still dangerously high. These latest floods were caused by releases of water from the Mae Tang Dam, we knew about them yesterday morning and were warned in advance, I'm not sure Chiang Mai was! 

If there's no more water releases for a few days, we'll be fine. If not, it's going to be a very difficult time for everyone.

Best of luck up there.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Was in town last night, at 8pm the roads going past wat Fa Ham were all flooded and blocked to traffic down to Au Der Auf, Loi Krow was flooded from the river to the boxing ring. Couldn't see the night bazaar as the water was too deep.

I've never seen it this bad before.

Slightly off topic,

One good result during the flooding ......

Couldn't get my usual Friday night eatery, Rajdarbar Indian restaurant in LK.

So tried La Casita Mexican restaurant in Ratvithi road, it was very good, free chips and dips, 3x soft tacos and a coke for 260bht.  Couldn't eat all the chips.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Slightly off topic,

One good result during the flooding ......

Couldn't get my usual Friday night eatery, Rajdarbar Indian restaurant in LK.

So tried La Casita Mexican restaurant in Ratvithi road, it was very good, free chips and dips, 3x soft tacos and a coke for 260bht.  Couldn't eat all the chips.

Try Salsa Kitchen next to Ruam Chok, excellent quality and value.

9 hours ago, chiang mai said:

We're in Mae Rim.... we knew about them yesterday morning and were warned in advance, I'm not sure Chiang Mai was! 

I got 2 warnings by DDPM on my phone, but anyway everybody in CM knew already by word of mouth what was going on. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, chiang mai said:

well stand corrected 'fake news spreader', of course Chiang Mai and other communities were informed at least one week prior to the release of water. Community Service announcements, TV, Press and local Tessabahns and volunteers delivering truckloads of sand and bags to key locations..do your homework next time.

13 minutes ago, tandor said:

well stand corrected 'fake news spreader', of course Chiang Mai and other communities were informed at least one week prior to the release of water. Community Service announcements, TV, Press and local Tessabahns and volunteers delivering truckloads of sand and bags to key locations..do your homework next time.

Learn to understand English next time! I wrote, "I'm not sure if", that means "I don't know if", Or, "I cannot be certain if"......clear!

10 hours ago, chiang mai said:

These latest floods were caused by releases of water from the Mae Tang Dam, we knew about them yesterday morning and were warned in advance, I'm not sure Chiang Mai was! 

Don't they know how to do controlled releases here?

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Don't they know how to do controlled releases here?

I don't know, really I don't.

I think there may be compounding issues. One is the sheer volume, another is the limited paths available for the release, a third is the location of the main reservoir directly North of Chiang Mai and not that far away (50kms). I do know they have been releasing water into the irrigations klongs for months previously because we see it as it crosses our garden. So they were aware of a building problem, weeks/months ago.