British National Killed in Sattahip Motorcycle Accident

Georgealbert

On 10/6/2024 at 4:01 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe inexperience, i saw one yesterday on Pratumnak on a rental, hard to crash there

From the looks of the photo it appears that he was riding too fast. Speed kills!

39 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

For starters - look at the second picture. That is not a u-turn.

That is the overpass that starts at the Boonthavorn shop (heading south towards Sattahip), about 3 kms before you get to the Highway 332 intersection.

I just came back that way last night in fact, going the other way.
(Just after the rain in Pattaya stopped and the flooding went down.)

It appears that the one of the riders probably took the overpass lane and the other rider didn't realize it in time and tried to cut from the "old road" onto the overpass lane while speeding along and misjudged it, hitting the sign that points to the different lanes.

This is the exact same overpass but heading North. Google's image of the North lanes is dated June 2024 but their image of the South lanes (the Boonthavorn side of the overpass where the accident happened) is dated Oct 2023 when construction was still ongoing.

Both ends of the overpass are virtually identical though.
Untitled.jpg.3d8f238b0f202629ff78888263fd4e22.jpg

u2.jpg.2f2820caf27391f348631214dc0adc51.jpg

Maybe they call it a "u-turn" as there is a u-turn under the middle of the overpass.

If so, then it appears he did like Thai's usually do, an tried to cut over the hash marked area at the last second. Solid lines and hash marks are there for a reason, lesson learned.

11 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

If so, then it appears he did like Thai's usually do, an tried to cut over the hash marked area at the last second. Solid lines and hash marks are there for a reason, lesson learned.

Watched a Thai do that just yesterday, headed sharp right across the hatch marks to get into the underpass in Central Pattaya.. an underpass where motorcycles are not allowed by the way. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Well that obviously cannot be guaranteed, and in this case apparently not. I think I was even younger than that by a few years when I was considering a bigger bike, but thought better of it. This was a crotch rocket, not a big heavy tourer, more suited to older guys. 

I accept that, but if the guy was 66 years old, just returned to Thailand and was riding it a big bike then it wasn't a renter and he was likely a very experienced rider.

I never rode a bike until I arrived in Thailand 18 years ago and I gravitated from a click to a Neuvo to a PCX to a Forza. I feel comfortable and safe on the Forza but rarely exceed 100 kph; I usually ride at 80-100 kph, less when conditions demand it. I am 68 years old and have told myself that the moment there are any signs of my driving skills deteriorating then the bike will go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Talk to Auntie who is driving around Pattaya for a very long time.  Accidents she has had at low speeds only resulted in scrapes, bumps and bruises.

You only have to be wrong one time on a motorbike before game over.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, J Branche said:

Talk to Auntie who is driving around Pattaya for a very long time.  Accidents she has had at low speeds only resulted in scrapes, bumps and bruises.

You only have to be wrong one time on a motorbike before game over.

Just look around, there are plenty of people gimping around with mangled feet and hands, and other debilitating injuries. I am pretty sure most of those are from motorcycle accidents, which is why before I sold the Big Bike, I stuck to ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time)

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

For starters - look at the second picture. That is not a u-turn.

That is the overpass that starts at the Boonthavorn shop (heading south towards Sattahip), about 3 kms before you get to the Highway 332 intersection.

I just came back that way last night in fact, going the other way.
(Just after the rain in Pattaya stopped and the flooding went down.)

It appears that the one of the riders probably took the overpass lane and the other rider didn't realize it in time and tried to cut from the "old road" onto the overpass lane while speeding along and misjudged it, hitting the sign that points to the different lanes.

This is the exact same overpass but heading North. Google's image of the North lanes is dated June 2024 but their image of the South lanes (the Boonthavorn side of the overpass where the accident happened) is dated Oct 2023 when construction was still ongoing.

Both ends of the overpass are virtually identical though.
Untitled.jpg.3d8f238b0f202629ff78888263fd4e22.jpg

u2.jpg.2f2820caf27391f348631214dc0adc51.jpg

Maybe they call it a "u-turn" as there is a u-turn under the middle of the overpass.

I live near the incident and I think your description of what happened is spot on.

That is an easy U-turn manoeuvre under the flyover and going left of the flyover leads to the new-style U-turn lane; This was an accident with the flyover.

I don't believe the first picture relates to the incident - those bikes are facing the wrong way on a carriageway and that is not a 900cc bike.

25 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Watched a Thai do that just yesterday, headed sharp right across the hatch marks to get into the underpass in Central Pattaya.. an underpass where motorcycles are not allowed by the way. 

I see it here daily, in fact constantly, which is why I think Thai people are suicidal. It's the first thing foreign drivers need to learn before driving here in Thailand, Thai's will do things no other reasonable driver would ever think of doing. Formal training and testing would probably fix that, but seeing the current and ridiculous LTD parking lot test, they seem to be more interested in adding more dead bodies to statistics. 

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I live near the incident and I think your description of what happened is spot on.

That is an easy U-turn manoeuvre under the flyover and going left of the flyover leads to the new-style U-turn lane; This was an accident with the flyover.

I don't believe the first picture relates to the incident - those bikes are facing the wrong way on a carriageway and that is not a 900cc bike.

The pictures  are from the incident scene as reported in the post, or do you think I just made it up? 

IMG_6494.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

The pictures  are from the incident scene as reported in the post, or do you think I just made it up? 

IMG_6494.jpeg

My apologies, I hadn't seen that photo showing the bike as a Kawasaki.

That is the southern carriageway towards Sattahip and the bike has obviously been dragged to the side of the road and is facing north.

On 10/6/2024 at 8:41 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've got several good friends in their '70s, ride as good as me. 

I've seen many young people, incompetent, who should not be riding any type of motorcycle. 

Correct! A few years ago I saw a couple of young (Swedes as it turned out) rent a couple of motor bikes and then set off ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. It was only when I and my pal shouted "WRONG SIDE!!" and pointed them in the right direction that they realised their mistake. A minute later a cement truck thundered past, so it could have been much worse than embarrassing for them!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

I'm 77 and still riding...not bikes now..mind you !

Me, my bike as well, but just around town, usually in the same routes. My driving's good as it ever was, but the potential cost of an accident's a lot higher now than it used to be. 

• Haha 1