Married 20 years, war zone, no visa - denied entry to evacuation aircraft

theblether

I've put this into the general forum as the issues here will also affect expatriates married to Thais. Brits have a tendency to think that by merely marrying a foreign national they can wave a magic wand and that foreign national is automatically entitled to arrive in the UK any time they want.

The truth is, your utter laziness or inability for financial reasons to gain British citizenship for your spouse will have dire results in many cases. While I'm not expecting Thailand to descend into a war zone, there are many stories over the years of Brit nationals being forced to return to the UK through financial or health reasons and being unable to bring their Thai partner with them.

So if you are sitting there with a child who is a British passport holder, and a spouse, who is not, you potentially have a serious problem. This family is "angry" that the wife and mother were denied boarding. I'd be angry if after twenty years my husband ( or wife ) couldn't be bothered going through the process to get me citizenship. Here's the link to the whole story - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx25egegpx6o 

Good grief, I find it difficult to believe that they were unaware of the UK's Visa requirements.  I think 99.9% of UK expatriates are well aware - and 100% of those who use this Forum.  

Seems like the BBC are just trying to make a fuss.

I would rather stay with my wife until death us do part than return to such a dysfunctional country run by a bunch of jobsworths  .

If world war 3 kicks off probably better off here anyway . Can't  see Thailand getting nuked.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, theblether said:

I'd be angry if after twenty years my husband ( or wife ) couldn't be bothered going through the process to get me citizenship

Did your THAI wife get you to get citizenship in Thailand?
Did your Thai wife help you buy a house/land in Thailand?

Cuts both sides ...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Confuscious said:

Did your THAI wife get you to get citizenship in Thailand?
Did your Thai wife help you buy a house/land in Thailand?

Cuts both sides ...

The bizarre thing is, you think that's a clever answer. 

Wake up. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Good grief, I find it difficult to believe that they were unaware of the UK's Visa requirements.  I think 99.9% of UK expatriates are well aware - and 100% of those who use this Forum.  

Seems like the BBC are just trying to make a fuss.

Correct, utterly absurd article which tries to move the blame to the government for the husbands failing. 

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I would rather stay with my wife until death us do part than return to such a dysfunctional country run by a bunch of jobsworths  .

If world war 3 kicks off probably better off here anyway . Can't  see Thailand getting nuked.

Amen bro. 

The same could be said about Thailand vis à vis the USA .

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Why make it difficult if it can be easy?

Go on a ship and throw your papers away.
When arrived in England, file a as an "asylum seeker" and get free hotel, free healthcare, free ....

Off topic, just be quiet and go back to punishing your wife for things beyond her control. 

Cos that literally is what you are proposing. 

"Did your THAI wife get you to get citizenship in Thailand?
Did your Thai wife help you buy a house/land in Thailand?"

Farcical, repulsive answer. 

• Sad 2

My first stint as an expat was as a child in 1970, in West Africa. I bet most of you hadn't been further than Bognor Regis by that point. 

Over the last fifty-four years I've observed more than my fair share of morons, alcoholics, mentally ill, personality disordered weirdos in the expat community. And before you start, you will have met them too so you know I'm correct. 

Here today we have someone saying - my Thai wife couldn't get me Thai citizenship or the ability to buy land - so I won't bother ensuring she has access to UK citizenship. 

Some of you really need to think before you post. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, theblether said:

My first stint as an expat was as a child in 1970, in West Africa. I bet most of you hadn't been further than Bognor Regis by that point. 

So what, your point is? 
Anyway, I'd been to Gt Yarmouth and Blackpool ....So there! 😁

13 minutes ago, theblether said:

Over the last fifty-four years I've observed more than my fair share of morons, alcoholics, mentally ill, personality disordered weirdos in the expat community. And before you start, you will have met them too so you know I'm correct. 

Err, no not really but it shows the places you frequent and the places I tend to avoid. Most of my friends are decent and responsible guys.  :burp:

15 minutes ago, theblether said:

Here today we have someone saying - my Thai wife couldn't get me Thai citizenship or the ability to buy land - so I won't bother ensuring she has access to UK citizenship.

Most ex-pats I know have no intention of living in their home country so why try to get their partner citizenship? If sh!t hit the fan then there are many other countries to relocate to with your partner ... If she would go! ✈️

24 minutes ago, theblether said:

Some of you really need to think before you post. 

Now that I agree with it! :cheesy:

• Love It 1