Reasons of change

georgegeorgia

So in Pattaya 5 days now.

I have compiled statistics of change and change management a fascinating subject which relates to Pattaya in particular the Taxi service 

Change is a big thing for many including taxi drivers 

They could charge what they wanted many years ago particularly in high season 

I also used a Bolt service wonderful thankyou Bolt  , they sent a taxi from Jomtien beach to Pattaya 80b a taxi turns up not a normal car but a taxi Pattaya in colors

During the trip he complains that 10 years ago he could ask for 300b for the same trip now only he gets less than 80 baht 

The good times as he described are gone 

He used to own 4 Pattaya taxis 

He could get as he said 800 baht to Sanctuary of truth and this was 5 years ago 

I tipped him and apologised ,thankyou for your service Sir I said and bowed to him 

Taxi drivers used to earn big money Not anymore with Grab or bolt !

They forced him to either ACCEPT their price or go alone 

He was angry and justified , BOLT gets down to 60 B from Jomtien to Pattaya for a air conditioning taxi !

Surely they deserve more ,he was making 50,000 baht a month 10 years ago in his taxi he told me ,not now thanks to Bolt and Grab  the multi national pests 

Times change unfortunately 

Yes he is right , taxis were charging HIGH 10 years ago

Tipping because you must there is justified 

Please don't get me started on the cultural revolution it's not necessary ,Change is a big thing 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 5
  • Agree 1

QR payment without tip 80% of the time for me. 

Cash tip of 20bt when wait staff is above-average friendly and food was good. A rare occurrence nowadays.

If food was not good but waitress was good, 20 bt directly to her so she keeps it for herself (well, up to her). Happens a couple times a week.

Taxis/ride apps - nope. Locals don't, so I won't. QR payment or exact cash only.

Just finishing a 2 week trip to 'Murica after 8 years out of country. Tipping culture out of control now. Waiting for the day flight attendant looks at me angry because I didn't tip. Even coffee shop baristas are expecting tips now, lol. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Would you have pitied him years ago when he refused to use his meter and demanded 300 baht for a 50 baht ride?  He and his mates literally drove their customers away. 

Yes but please "analyse ' the psychology 

We are talking about the Coloured Licensed Pattaya taxis here before I go on 

The man was in his 50's he was making 500 baht a trip in his licensed taxi and this was years before Grab /Uber 

Then Comes along a multi national called Grab and says we are paying you now 80 baht ,take it or accept it 

That's why he was angry 

Jomtien to Pattaya 79 baht 

As he said this is wrong before he got 300 

Change..we call it ..sad

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

I tip based on driver skill, ergo usually no tip. Especially if it's an aging manual Mitsi Triton with seven extra bone shaking leaf-springs and the muppet driver thinks chugging up Thappraya Road in 3rd gear at 10klm/h is saving fuel. :coffee1:

13 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

I tip based on driver skill, ergo usually no tip. Especially if it's an aging manual Mitsi Triton with seven extra bone shaking leaf-springs and the muppet driver thinks chugging up Thappraya Road in 3rd gear at 10klm/h is saving fuel. :coffee1:

I recently hailed a cab whose driver employed the old 'accelerator-brake-accelerator repeat' methodology to save fuel, a technique I haven't encountered here in 20 years.

39 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Please tip the taxi drivers ,they were making big money years ago thanks 

Change has occurred, Laundry now self service majority 

Internet cafes have been...deleted 

I pity the taxi driver 

Well if the taxi drivers  had an ounce of nouce, they would have invested wisely.  If, I used taxis, I would tell them I paid tip in better times! Years ago! 

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Please tip the taxi drivers ,they were making big money years ago thanks 

Change has occurred, Laundry now self service majority 

Internet cafes have been...deleted 

I pity the taxi driver 

taxi drivers can't screw people now, but probably there's far more taxi journeys now so can still make money but have to work which they don't like

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Please don't get me started on the cultural revolution it's not necessary ,Change is a big thing 

Oh please get started I think it is Really Really Necessary, how big is the change ? 

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Oh please get started I think it is Really Really Necessary, how big is the change ? 

Unfortunately you Brian are not ready for change 

We must not only embrace change but be nourished in it , example including supporting the Non Gender community and trans community in reading in libraries with storytelling to young people 

Welcoming diverse culture and embracing their idealogy to show we support them 

Edited by georgegeorgia

Just now, georgegeorgia said:

Unfortunately you Brian are not ready for change 

We must not only embrace change but be nourished in it , example including supporting the Non Gender community and trans community in reading in libraries with storytelling to young people 

Everybody had a Gender, you have no idea what I am ready for.

So George you are back again.  You said you were coming business class on PAL. Any photos of that experience?  Also you were so disappointed with your accommodation last time it would be interesting to see your new place. I bet you have done really well this time.