METV or Visa Exemption for multiple short-stay entries? (+ internal flights).

Hello All, 

First time poster here. 

I wanted to get some advice or information regarding my current visitations to Thailand. 

I have entered Thailand 5 times this year on Visa Exemption in May, June, July-August. and September/October. The most recent visit in September/October was 8 days in September, then a short trip to Japan for 5 days, and then another 5 days in October. My longest visit for any of these entries was 14 days in July-August, never extended. My time out of Thailand between these entries is anywhere between 25-40 days, apart from the most recent aforementioned trip to Japan. I always enter through Suvarnabhumi airport with no issues at current. (I have never entered Thailand before the trips this year!)

My next trip is planned for November for a further 10 days, and then again in December for 23 days, my longest trip. In November, I would also be entering via Bangkok for 2 days, and then plan to get an internal flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui for a few days before returning to Bangkok. I then plan further visits after this as above. 

I am aware that there is no stated limit to entry to Thailand via air for Visa Exemption, but I am conscious of the quantity of Visa Exemption entries I am picking up in my passport. 

My questions are then 1) For these future visits, would it be advised to try to apply for an METV given then entry information above to mitigate any issues with immigration, or should Visa Exemption still be OK moving forward? 2) If METV is advisable, is this something that would likely be granted given my information above based on anyone's previous experience applying for this? and 3) When entering Koh Samui travelling from Bangkok (non-transit as advised above), would this pick up another visa exemption stamp when going through passport control at Samui and again returning to Bangkok, or because this is domestic travel and never 'officially' leaving the country you are still operating on the same exemption stamp?

Happy to provide any further information should anyone ask if it helps to provide any answers!

Many thanks!!

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Where would you obtain the METV if you opt for that. 

Using visa exempt history and short stays in Thailand suggest no issue to continue with visa exempt entries 

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply! 

Being based in the UK, I assume the best way to apply for this METV would be through the eVisa portal? (unless I am wrong!!)

I have had a brief look at the requirements and I can see that I can get these I believe, including the financial ones. My only slight hesitation would be that my accommodation would be staying with my girlfriend at her place (Thai National), so I assume I would need an invitation letter or maybe further information (cope of lease)?

Many thanks!

19 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

I have entered Thailand 5 times this year on Visa Exemption in May, June, July-August. and September/October. The most recent visit in September/October was 8 days in September, then a short trip to Japan for 5 days, and then another 5 days in October.

Did you never consider re-enter permits?

VE now grants permission of stay for 60 days.
An extension would grant a further 30 days.

6 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

Being based in the UK, I assume the best way to apply for this METV would be through the eVisa portal? (unless I am wrong!!)

I have had a brief look at the requirements and I can see that I can get these I believe, including the financial ones. My only slight hesitation would be that my accommodation would be staying with my girlfriend at her place (Thai National), so I assume I would need an invitation letter or maybe further information (cope of lease)?

You'd need to be present in the UK to apply.

13 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

That is correct. My reason for asking is that your travel pattern is very unusual in that the visits so short.

Even moreso that you are based in UK.

METV must be applied for in your passport country or where you have permanent resident status.

Suggest that you stick with visa exempt entries. 

What have you been doing to cover onward flight for visa exempt entry often required by airline at departure. 

Good point by @Liquorice. If you are having repeat visits within 60 days then a reentry permit can allow that.

Available at airport on day of departure 1000b single reentry 

9 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

This has been discussed before. A re-entry permit is for a visa or its associated extension of permission of stay. You can not get a re-entry permit for a visa exempt entry (and why would you bother anyway, just enter again on visa exempt as he does such short stays) 

Edited by Pattaya57

11 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Re-Enter permits? Not familiar with these sorry!

Due to working commitments in the UK, these are the reason my trips are short. 

I am in the UK now until November so can do this from the UK no problem. 

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

This has been discussed before. A re-entry permit is for a visa or its associated extension of permission of stay. You can not get a re-entry permit for a visa exempt entry (and why would you bother anyway, just enter again on visa exempt as he does such short stays) 

A re-enter permit protects any permission of stay already granted, regardless of holding a valid visa or not.

From the OP's post he could probably have only one VE entry on file with 3 entries via a re-entry permit.

His visits are short, but regular. How long before that activity raises suspicion?

3 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

Due to working commitments in the UK, these are the reason my trips are short. 

I am in the UK now until November so can do this from the UK no problem. 

Then METV is definitely your best option.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is correct. My reason for asking is that your travel pattern is very unusual in that the visits so short.

Even moreso that you are based in UK.

METV must be applied for in your passport country or where you have permanent resident status.

Suggest that you stick with visa exempt entries. 

What have you been doing to cover onward flight for visa exempt entry often required by airline at departure. 

Thanks for the further info. 

As just mentioned, trips are short due to working commitments in the UK currently. There is future sight for re-location out to Thailand after marriage, but for now this is the system that I have to work to. I can apply for METV in UK as I am here now, I just don't know if anyone had any history with this Visa and if it is a difficult application to do or be successful in? 

I've never been asked for this by an airline as of yet (EVA AIR every time from UK), but I am always in possession of a round trip ticket to return to the UK paid in advance, with a hard copy on me that I can present at any time. 

12 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

You can not get a re-entry permit for a visa exempt entry (and why would you bother anyway, just enter again on visa exempt as he does such short stays) 

From thread regarding this ..

@BritTim posted. 

"A re-entry permit can be used to protect any permission to stay. While uncommon, this includes a visa exempt entry and, on rare occasions, may make sense." 

5 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

As just mentioned, trips are short due to working commitments in the UK currently.

In that case METV would seem to best option.

Think it's 5k baht (someone will correct that if incorrect)

6 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

There is future sight for re-location out to Thailand after marriage,

Marriage to a Thai? 

From thread regarding this ..

@BritTim posted. 

"A re-entry permit can be used to protect any permission to stay. While uncommon, this includes a visa exempt entry and, on rare occasions, may make sense." 

Is this re-entry permit related to transiting internally in the country as initially mentioned? Or is this in relation to mulypli4 VE entries?

4 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

These protect any permission of stay already granted.
Example; You enter VE 1st October, granted permission of stay for 60 days until 29th Nov.

Depart Thailand for a 5 day trip to Japan 10th Oct.
Single re-entry permit at the airport, 1,200 BHT.

Return from Japan 16th Oct, stamped in again until 29th Nov.

Depart for a 10 day trip to Vietnam 28th Oct.
Single re-entry permit at the airport, 1,200 BHT.

Return from Vietnam 8th Nov, stamped in again until 29th Nov.

One VE entry on file.

Same for a 30 day extension of stay.

In that case METV would seem to best option.

Think it's 5k baht (someone will correct that if incorrect)

Marriage to a Thai? 

Thanks, I will start to look into this application now! 

Yes, currently engaged to my Thai girlfriend. 

16 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

A re-enter permit protects any permission of stay already granted, regardless of holding a valid visa or not.

As I said this has been discussed at length. Certain people say it can be done for visa exempt but they never actually did it and no-one else came forward saying yes they did it. I even went to agents who all told me no it cannot be done. 

Just Google it. So many sites say you must have a visa to get a re-entry permit and explicitly state a visa exempt and visa on arrival are not eligible for a re-entry permit.

Edited by Pattaya57

8 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

Yes, currently engaged to my Thai girlfriend. 

If eventually living in Thailand married to Thai national then in future you could consider a non O based on marriage with subsequent annual extensions. 

Assume you are under 50

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

So many sites say you must have a visa to get a re-entry permit and explicitly state a visa exempt and visa on arrival are not eligible for a re-entry permit.

Not in my book. 

When you enter on a tourist visa and stamped in for 60 days your "visa" is gone (used).

You have a "permit" a permission of stay. 

Currently for visa exempt entry that will be 60 days and a reentry permit can protect that permission of stay

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not in my book. 

When you enter on a tourist visa and stamped in for 60 days your "visa" is gone (used).

You have a "permit" a permission of stay. 

Currently for visa exempt entry that will be 60 days and a reentry permit can protect that permission of stay

Go ask Maneerat who you often reccomend. I did last year and they said cannot get a re-entry permit for a visa exempt entry

Edited by Pattaya57

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Just Google it. So many sites say you must have a visa to get a re-entry permit and explicitly state a visa exempt and visa on arrival are not eligible for a re-entry permit.

I don't have to Google it.
A re-entry permit protects any permission of stay already granted.

I have a friend visits Thailand regularly 3 times a year VE, sometimes extended.
From July, he now gets 60 days on entry.
He regularly likes to take a 5-10 day break in Vietnam when he's here.
Been using re-entry permits for years to facility his Vietnam trips and avoid further VE entries.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Go ask Maneerat who you oftrn reccomend I did last year and they said cannot get a re-entry permit for a visa exempt entry

Probably not worth his while, rather than 'cannot'.

Wish I had 20BHT for every time I've been told 'cannot', only to then 'do it'.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If eventually living in Thailand married to Thai national then in future you could consider a non O based on marriage with subsequent annual extensions. 

Assume you are under 50

Yes under 50, so retirement not an option. 

It's basically trying to facilitate the visits in the appropriate way before we get officially married so can start to move things through the O visa converted to spousal. 

6 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I don't have to Google it.
A re-entry permit protects any permission of stay already granted.

I have a friend visits Thailand regularly 3 times a year VE, sometimes extended.
From July, he now gets 60 days on entry.
He regularly likes to take a 5-10 day break in Vietnam when he's here.
Been using re-entry permits for years to facility his Vietnam trips and avoid further VE entries.

Given my situation with a re-entry permit, if leave say 17th November back to UK and re-enter 13th December, would this still be appropriate given time and location? 

It seems like METV is definitely the most appropriate option it would seem? 

2 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

Given your situation and travel itineraries, a METV is the way forward.

It's valid for 6 months, multiple 60 day entries.
If you enter just before the 'enter before' date of the visa, you'll be granted a further stay of 60 days.
Possible to stay for almost 9 months with a 30 day extension.

I take it you plan to marry in Thailand in the not too distant future?

At that point in time you should consider the Non Imm O visa based on Thai spouse, extend the permission of stay for 1 year and obtain a multi re-entry permit (3,800 BHT).
Come and go as you please within that 12 month period.
Requires 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank account in your sole name, for 2 months prior to applying for the 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse.

10 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

Certainly an option however marriage to Thai could change things depending on when the date to marry. 

You can change from visa exempt entry to non O marriage in Thailand at any time.

16 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Given your situation and travel itineraries, a METV is the way forward.

It's valid for 6 months, multiple 60 day entries.
If you enter just before the 'enter before' date of the visa, you'll be granted a further stay of 60 days.
Possible to stay for almost 9 months with a 30 day extension.

I take it you plan to marry in Thailand in the not too distant future?

At that point in time you should consider the Non Imm O visa based on Thai spouse, extend the permission of stay for 1 year and obtain a multi re-entry permit (3,800 BHT).
Come and go as you please within that 12 month period.
Requires 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank account in your sole name, for 2 months prior to applying for the 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse.

Many thanks  that's brilliant thank you for the help! 

I've done extensive looking into marriage - would look to be around middle of 2025, so any METV would expire by that point allowing for the 0 visa conversion to spousal. 

I can manage the financial requirement of this I believe no problem. 

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Certainly an option however marriage to Thai could change things depending on when the date to marry. 

You can change from visa exempt entry to non O marriage in Thailand at any time.

Expected marriage mid-end 2025.

5 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

Expected marriage mid-end 2025.

In that case thinking METV is good fit.

Let the METV validity run out prior to marriage and do a visa exempt entry.

That could even be a border bounce. 

Assume you are aware that if you reenter Thailand (last time on valid METV you will be stamped in for another 2 months. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

I've done extensive looking into marriage - would look to be around middle of 2025, so any METV would expire by that point allowing for the 0 visa conversion to spousal. 

I can manage the financial requirement of this I believe no problem. 

Obviously, you couldn't apply for the Non Imm O visa or extension based on Thai spouse until after you married.

If the METV expires, get another.  :wink:

Just sent a PM regards marriage.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 1