METV or Visa Exemption for multiple short-stay entries? (+ internal flights).

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In that case thinking METV is good fit.

Let the METV validity run out prior to marriage and do a visa exempt entry.

That could even be a border bounce. 

Assume you are aware that if you reenter Thailand (last time on valid METV you will be stamped in for another 2 months. 

Thank you so much for all the help!

I don't know if you were able to advise on the VE stamp when going from BKK Suvarnabhumi --> Samui non-transit? Would this incur another VE stamp?

20 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Obviously, you couldn't apply for the Non Imm O visa or extension based on Thai spouse until after you married.

If the METV expires, get another.  :wink:

Just sent a PM regards marriage.

Thank you so much for all the help!

I don't know if you were able to advise on the VE stamp when going from BKK Suvarnabhumi --> Samui non-transit? Would this incur another VE stamp?

14 minutes ago, OPHaynes said:

Not sure what you mean!

Once you enter VE you can travel to any part of Thailand within that 60 day period.

3 hours ago, OPHaynes said:

When entering Koh Samui travelling from Bangkok (non-transit as advised above), would this pick up another visa exemption stamp when going through passport control at Samui and again returning to Bangkok, or because this is domestic travel and never 'officially' leaving the country you are still operating on the same exemption stamp?

You are going to and from a Thai island.  You will not go through passport control in either direction.

Just a follow up to whether someone can get a re-entry permit on a visa exempt entry like stated you can in this thread.

There are numerous sites that say you can't and if it was possible why would agents that sell re-entry permits say it's not possible? Surely they would gladly sell it to you if they could.

Here are 3 sites that say it's not possible. Before people start to discredit these sites, how about instead link one site that clearly says it is possible. I couldn't find any!
- - - - - - - - - - - 
Bangkok Immigration - clearly says a re-entry permit can be granted for a visa (visa exempt entry is not a visa)

"But if before leaving the Kingdom, the alien has been granted permission by the competent official to be able to re-enter the Kingdom with the current visa held."

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/re-entry-permit/

- - - - - - - - - - -

Who Is Not Eligible for a Thailand Re-Entry Permit?

You are not eligible for a Re-Entry Permit for Thailand if you have one of the following:

A Thailand Visa On Arrival, which is valid for a maximum of 15 days and non-extendable.

• If you are from a country whose nationals do not need a Thailand Tourist Visa and you have entered the country under the visa-exemption rule.

https://visaguide.world/asia/thailand-visa/re-entry-permit/

- - - - - - - - - - -

"If you are holding 30 days exempt visa stamp or Visa on arrival than you can’t get a Re-entry permit"

https://thaivisaexpert.com/single-multiple-re-entry-permit/

Yes it's not updated to new 60 day visa exempt but it's pretty clear visa exempt doesn't qualify.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I can post many more sites saying it's not possible and I've had an agent actually tell me it's not possible. Can anyone post a site that clearly says you can get a re-entry stamp for a visa exempt entry?

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Liquorice said:

I have a friend visits Thailand regularly 3 times a year VE, sometimes extended.
From July, he now gets 60 days on entry.
He regularly likes to take a 5-10 day break in Vietnam when he's here.
Been using re-entry permits for years to facility his Vietnam trips and avoid further VE entries.

I'd love to see a simple pic of VE stamp with re-entry permit stamp right next to it with same date. Your chance to prove 20+ websites wrong by showing you can get a re-entry permit for a VE entry

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Bangkok Immigration - clearly says a re-entry permit can be granted for a visa (visa exempt entry is not a visa)

Immigration as you are well aware call an extension of your permission of stay a 'visa' - extend visa sir!

"But if before leaving the Kingdom, the alien has been granted permission by the competent official to be able to re-enter the Kingdom with the current visa held."

I haven't held a visa since 2014.

I have had consecutive permission of stay, and they grant me re-entry permits.

"If you are holding 30 days exempt visa stamp or Visa on arrival than you can’t get a Re-entry permit"

https://thaivisaexpert.com/single-multiple-re-entry-permit/

Yes it's not updated to new 60 day visa exempt but it's pretty clear visa exempt doesn't qualify.

I wouldn't trust any outside sources, either.
First line of that site states;

Re-entry permit allows Visa holders to leave Thailand for a short period of time to travel to another country and then Re-enter Thailand on the same Visa. 

Any single entry visa is 'USED' on entry.
Any entry regardless of visa or not permits a period of 'permission of stay' and that is what a re-entry protects.

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I'd love to see a simple pic of VE stamp with re-entry permit stamp right next to it with same date. Your chance to prove 20+ websites wrong by showing you can get a re-entry permit for a VE entry

How does this work then Rob.

You have an extension of stay based on Thai spouse until 10th Sept.
You apply for a further extension of stay and Immigration gives you a 30 day under consideration stamp from 10th Sept to Oct 10th.

Your visa expired years ago, your permission of stay ended on Sept 10th.

How then is it possible to obtain a re-entry permit for that 30 day under consideration period.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

How does this work then Rob.

You have an extension of stay based on Thai spouse until 10th Sept.
You apply for a further extension of stay and Immigration gives you a 30 day under consideration stamp from 10th Sept to Oct 10th.

Your visa expired years ago, your permission of stay ended on Sept 10th.

How then is it possible to obtain a re-entry permit for that 30 day under consideration period.

What does any of that have to do with getting a re-entry permit for a visa exempt entry?

5 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

What does any of that have to do with getting a re-entry permit for a visa exempt entry?

Work it out!

You appear to have all the answers.

I've already told you I have a friend that has always entered VE and obtained a re-entry permit from Immigration as he enjoys a few days break in Da Nang.
He's never been questioned on re-entry and always been stamped in accordingly.

Now if you don't want to believe me, that's your prerogative, but please don't quote sites or agents that don't know the difference between a visa and a permit of stay.

20 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Work it out!

You appear to have all the answers.

I've already told you I have a friend that has always entered VE and obtained a re-entry permit from Immigration as he enjoys a few days break in Da Nang.
He's never been questioned on re-entry and always been stamped in accordingly.

Now if you don't want to believe me, that's your prerogative, but please don't quote sites or agents that don't know the difference between a visa and a permit of stay.

So no simple Pic then. Just hearsay what someone you know told you. And yet 20+ websites say you can't do it? Go figure

Even the infamous thaiembassy website that is clickbait for Siam Legal trying to get baht from everywhere says you can't do it

Edited by Pattaya57