Two Men Electrocuted While Working in Paddy Field After Contacting Electric Wire

Georgealbert

IMG_6513.jpeg

Two rice harvesters were electrocuted on October 7, in a paddy field in Sam Khok District, Pathum Thani, after mistakenly grabbing a live electric wire they thought was a grounding cable. Despite resuscitation efforts, both men died at the scene.

The incident occurred at around 13:00 near the Prem Prachakorn Canal, Moo 2, Ban Pathum Subdistrict. Police and emergency services were alerted and arrived with medical examiners from the Ministry of Justice and rescue personnel from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation.

Upon arrival, rescue workers and medical staff from Krung Siam Saint Carlos Hospital attempted to resuscitate the victims. Unfortunately, despite all efforts, the two men were pronounced dead shortly afterward. The victims were identified as Mr. Yossak, 58, from Chiang Rak Noi Subdistrict, and Mr. Phongsakorn, 18, from Tai Koh Subdistrict, both in Sam Khok District. Both men had severe burn marks on their bodies from the electric shock.

Niphon, a 45-year-old tractor driver who was working alongside the victims, recounted the tragic events. He explained that they were hired to harvest rice and noticed a wire hanging over the paddy field. The victims believed it was just a grounding wire and offered to remove it. However, when they touched it, they were instantly electrocuted. Niphon quickly grabbed a wooden stick to dislodge the wire and called for help, but it was too late to save them.

“I didn’t think something like this could happen,” Niphon said, visibly shaken.

Police Lieutenant Chanikan Sethienshaikit of Sam Khok Police Station led the investigation at the scene. Authorities photographed the site for evidence, and the bodies of the two men were transferred to the Institute of Forensic Medicine under the Ministry of Justice for further examination. An autopsy will be carried out, though initial findings point to electrocution as the clear culprit.

Picture from responders.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-08

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 3

... You see wires hanging from electric power poles  and first thing you do is to touch them... Must have been less smart individuals... 

No ground cables on power lines, only power. 

Rip. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, mran66 said:

... You see wires hanging from electric power poles  and first thing you do is to touch them... Must have been less smart individuals... 

Rip. 

Ground wire or earth wire (also known as OPGV) is a bare conductor supported at the top of transmission towers. They serve to shield the line and intercept lightning stroke before it hits the current carrying conductors below i.e. power lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mran66 said:

Rip. 

I agree. 

8 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Ground wire or earth wire (also known as OPGV) is a bare conductor supported at the top of transmission towers. They serve to shield the line and intercept lightning stroke before it hits the current carrying conductors below i.e. power lines.

But this was not a transmission tower, it's a bog standard power pole. I think PEA have some questions to answer. 

Just now, hotchilli said:

I know nothing.jpg

All this is a lack of Training  I might be going a bit overboard but Thailand Has yes lots of safety protocols but NO training in them, it is everyone's responsibility  towards safety,  a simple risk management assessment  carried out before the job would have saved these guys

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

All this is a lack of Training  I might be going a bit overboard but Thailand Has yes lots of safety protocols but NO training in them, it is everyone's responsibility  towards safety,  a simple risk management assessment  carried out before the job would have saved these guys

Risk assessment plan.. now there's a thing.

I'm anxiously waiting for the first successful legal case in Thailand against a government agency (roads/electric/water) that is won by a citizen.

Boy will that wake the authorities up, and cause drastic changes dragging this wonderful country into this century! 

33 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

I'm anxiously waiting for the first successful legal case in Thailand against a government agency (roads/electric/water) that is won by a citizen.

Boy will that wake the authorities up, and cause drastic changes dragging this wonderful country into this century! 

Keep dreaming !!