Most voters support Trumps Mass Deportation of Illegals, Pew Survey

riclag

9 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

If all "illegals" were deported, I wonder who would work in meatpacking plants, construction sites, pick fruits and vegetables in the hot sun, and perform all kinds of menial jobs that native Americans either shun or are too strung out on fentanyl or meth to do.

Even Trump hires them for his projects and facilities:  https://wapo.st/481hgNa

The ones that enter legally as guest workers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The ones that enter legally as guest workers.

Why aren't the industries that currently rely upon "illegals" employing legal guest workers instead?  

Should there be harsher penalties for employing those without permission to work? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patong2021 said:

When did the US stop deporting unauthorized immigrants because the last I saw, the US was still deporting people.

Sure.  But they're paroling millions into the country, with immigration hearing dates scheduled years and years into the future. 

That's just mean, unless they have a plan to let them stay...  They should be turned at the border, not after they have settled in, at a cost of $$trillions to the taxpayers.

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Lets do comprehensive immigration reform. Whatever happwned to American can do spirit?

Sure. Close the border, deport all those already here, and then start a new process.

Edited by Yagoda
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

What does that mean exactly, other than being a political catchphrase?

It means good faith bipartisan compromise based on realistic understanding of the current situation with humanitarian values mixed with the goal of enhancing the economy. 

Definitely not deporting 20 millon people tearimg apart families and destroying the economy but all serious criminals of course.

A long and hard stepped path towards citizenship for well behaved undocumented already in the US. Do not incentivize entering illegally.

Rapid trials for asylum claimants.

Change the paradigm to a dramatic increase in legal immigration applicants done at embassiez abroad. Increase skills merit based policies like Australia. 

Secure the border with barrlers and electronically depending on the geography.

Edited by Jingthing

I found many articles online that state that immigrant labor is a net positive for the US economy. This is but one example:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/do-immigrants-steal-jobs-from-american-workers/

Most articles with this viewpoint come from organizations that could be called "left of center", so I kept looking for articles that were written by organizations that come from the right of the political spectrum and found this:

https://www.cato.org/blog/three-reasons-why-immigrants-arent-going-take-job

Granted, Cato is Libertarian, but to me that's right-wing on steroids.

Then I came across this economist's article in Politico:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/trump-clinton-immigration-economy-unemployment-jobs-214216/

He's a bit of an outlier, but I find his arguments interesting.  I note Borjas does not call for building a border wall or for mass deportation or curtailing immigration. Instead he seems to be in favor of redistributing the surplus profits that immigrant labor generates via taxes.

Then I found this article that would seem to undermine at least part of Borjas's position:

https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/immigrant-and-native-workers-compete-different-low-skilled-jobs

I haven't yet found any serious articles from credible sources that promote the idea that mass deportation of immigrants is beneficial to America or to any segment of the labor force. 

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah they'll really love it when produce prices double and all their favorite restaurants close.

Next 

Who's going to clean my car on a freezing  Sunday morning for half the price ?

17 hours ago, Cameroni said:

The mainstream media will paint him as Satan when it happens.

This is how the left’s propaganda machine distorts reality. Imop

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I found many articles online that state that immigrant labor is a net positive for the US economy. This is but one example:

I don't know of anyone that's against immigration.  Properly vetted, knowing who you're letting in, and making sure they won't be going on the dole for life.  But that's yesterday's immigration policy.

Most of us are against opening the border and letting Venezuela (and before that, Castro) empty their prisons so they can enjoy a nice decrease in violent crime in the home country.  Not to mention thousands from Iran, (et al) and other adversarial regimes that may not have the USA's best interest at heart.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't know of anyone that's against immigration.  Properly vetted, knowing who you're letting in, and making sure they won't be going on the dole for life.  But that's yesterday's immigration policy.

Most of us are against opening the border and letting Venezuela (and before that, Castro) empty their prisons so they can enjoy a nice decrease in violent crime in the home country.  Not to mention thousands from Iran, (et al) and other adversarial regimes that may not have the USA's best interest at heart.

The “left” no human being is illegal !

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

As I said previously, I have no issue with having control over who comes into the US.  My point is that mass deportation would have a severe negative impact on the US economy.

While I found an article that supports the theory that some native Americans are affected by immigrant labor, I can't find any articles that say mass deportation would be a positive factor for the US economy or for any segment of the labor force.

I am troubled by statements like "poisoning the blood of our country" used in reference to immigrants, which are quite reminiscent of the rhetoric of a certain Austrian fellow in the last century. These words rise above dog whistle. 

15 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

While I found an article that supports the theory that some native Americans are affected by immigrant labor, I can't find any articles that say mass deportation would be a positive factor for the US economy or for any segment of the labor force.

Eric Adams of NYC said the quiet part out loud when he requested $12 Billion federal dollars to help NYC care for the 110,000 "newcomers" in his city, for 3 years.  That's $36K a head per year. 

While I am open to the possibility that he was padding the numbers a little bit, if you multiply $36K times 10 million illegals, you're talking real money.  That's $360 billion a year.  With the USA already in debt to the tune of $35 Trillion, we simply can't afford it.

Some of us suspect that's why he's being punished with accusations of corruption.  He was a party hero right up until he exposed the true cost of the Harris/Biden migrant crisis.  And it's not like the "corruption" he's accused of is unusual in politics.

Personally, I'd like to see them start with the convicted criminals, then move onto the parasites, then (and only then) deport the ones that aren't contributing more than they're costing.  But that's not my job to decide.

Edited by impulse
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

If all "illegals" were deported, I wonder who would work in meatpacking plants, construction sites, pick fruits and vegetables in the hot sun, and perform all kinds of menial jobs that native Americans either shun or are too strung out on fentanyl or meth to do.

Even Trump hires them for his projects and facilities:  https://wapo.st/481hgNa

That would be legal immigrants on the visa types that support this type of work. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

Eric Adams of NYC said the quiet part out loud when he requested $12 Billion federal dollars to help NYC care for the 110,000 "newcomers" in his city, for 3 years.  That's $36K a head per year. 

While I am open to the possibility that he was padding the numbers a little bit, if you multiply $36K times 10 million illegals, you're talking real money.  That's $360 billion a year.  With the USA already in debt to the tune of $35 Trillion, we simply can't afford it.

Some of us suspect that's why he's being punished with accusations of corruption.  He was a party hero right up until he exposed the true cost of the Harris/Biden migrant crisis.  And it's not like the "corruption" he's accused of is unusual in politics.

Personally, I'd like to see them start with the convicted criminals, then move onto the parasites, then (and only then) deport the ones that aren't contributing more than they're costing.  But that's not my job to decide.

Jesusmary&joseph! Wow!  Way to go!  You come offering facts with receipts 

40 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

As I said previously, I have no issue with having control over who comes into the US.  My point is that mass deportation would have a severe negative impact on the US economy.

I am troubled by statements like "poisoning the blood of our country" used in reference to immigrants, which are quite reminiscent of the rhetoric of a certain Austrian fellow in the last century. These words rise above dog whistle. 

No need to sugar coat it. Much of Trump's rhetotic matches the Nazis exactly.

4 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/do-immigrants-steal-jobs-from-american-workers/

Most articles with this viewpoint come from organizations that could be called "left of center", so I kept looking for articles that were written by organizations that come from the right of the political spectrum and found this:

https://www.cato.org/blog/three-reasons-why-immigrants-arent-going-take-job

Granted, Cato is Libertarian, but to me that's right-wing on steroids.

Then I came across this economist's article in Politico:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/trump-clinton-immigration-economy-unemployment-jobs-214216/

He's a bit of an outlier, but I find his arguments interesting.  I note Borjas does not call for building a border wall or for mass deportation or curtailing immigration. Instead he seems to be in favor of redistributing the surplus profits that immigrant labor generates via taxes.

Then I found this article that would seem to undermine at least part of Borjas's position:

https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/immigrant-and-native-workers-compete-different-low-skilled-jobs

I haven't yet found any serious articles from credible sources that promote the idea that mass deportation of immigrants is beneficial to America or to any segment of the labor force. 

Mass deportation is to enforce the Rule of Law. 

No one is above the law.

• Like 1