Spain Threatens Hard Border at Gibraltar Amid Post-Brexit Tensions Over 'Generous' Deal

Social Media

38 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why not completely ignore what the people of Gibraltar want?

They only live there.

Where have I suggested that the views of the people of Gibraltar should be ignored?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why not completely ignore what the people of Gibraltar want?

They only live there.

I would presume the people living in Gibraltar want to be able to enter Spain easily.

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

When UK will give back NI to the Republik of Ireland ?Long Time overdue.

The fight is not over!

This from the poster who further up the page castigated @Cameroni for making irrelevant posts when he mentioned Melila & Cueta.

Yet somehow Northern Ireland is relevant!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I would presume the people living in Gibraltar want to be able to enter Spain easily.

There have been 2 referendums in recent years. The overwhelming majority Of the Gibraltar people voted to remain British.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Gibraltar_sovereignty_referendum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Gibraltar_sovereignty_referendum

Try not to presume what other people want. What you presume may well not be what the people concerned actually want.

More than half (53 Percent) of the labour force are resident in Spain or are non Gibraltarians. According to the Government of Gibraltar's statistics, around 45 Percent of the total employee jobs, and 58% of the private sector jobs, are held by frontier workers (employees who are normally resident in Spain but are employed in Gibraltar). Around 63 Percent of the frontier workers are Spanish nationals. More than half (55 Percent) of the private sector employee jobs are held by persons who are not Gibraltarians or Other British nationalities. The public sector, on the other hand, employs mainly Gibraltarians and other British (90 Percent) [90]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar#Economy

It seems that the majority of the workforce are Spanish nationals living in Spain

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, RayC said:

Where have I suggested that the views of the people of Gibraltar should be ignored?

You didn't even bother to think or ask what the people of Gibraltar even want, and they are the ones who will be affected the most.

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

There have been 2 referendums in recent years. The overwhelming majority Of the Gibraltar people voted to remain British.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Gibraltar_sovereignty_referendum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Gibraltar_sovereignty_referendum

Try not to presume what other people want. What you presume may well not be what the people concerned actually want.

Strange post. Maybe what you presume that i presume is not what i presume.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You didn't even bother to think or ask what the people of Gibraltar even want, and they are the ones who will be affected the most.

I wonder what the residents of Gibralter will want, if not acceding to Spain's demands means that they have to put up with a hard border rather than allow Spanish troops to be stationed there.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Yes, most are working in Spain

Which will be not possible soon if something is not done. Britons will not be allowed in the Schengen area for more than 90 days in a 180 days period.

27 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Yes, most are working in Spain

That is incorrect the majority of the workforce working in Gibralter are Spanish nationals. Living and residents in Spain

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Which will be not possible soon if something is not done. Britons will not be allowed in the Schengen area for more than 90 days in a 180 days period.

Not if they have a work permit.

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I wonder what the residents of Gibraltar will want, if not acceding to Spain's demands means that they have to put up with a hard border rather than allow Spanish troops to be stationed there.

It wouldn't be the first time that the border was closed, and I don't expect it to be the last.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

That is incorrect the majority of the workforce working in Gibralter are Spanish nationals. Living and residents in Spain

At present Gibraltar is an attraction with kind of immigration as a foreign country. This might be shifting if Gibraltar would belong to Spain, another rock at the coast.

The Spaniards who are working in Gibraltar benefitting from the status quo. And sure, there are a lot (15.000) Spaniards working there. 32.000 inhabitants in Gibraltar 

35 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Well, that might be a problem. However, when I visited Gibraltar 3 years ago, a taxi driver told me about the benefits of being a resident of Gibraltar.( Free housing, lowest taxes, lowest price for fuel, UK passport, special car plate GBZ.) They are happy people. Not similar to those on the frosty island.