Pre-paid Credit Card

3 hours ago, Karma80 said:

SCB Planet Card—prepaid Visa. You transfer money onto the card, and you're good to spend it. It's instantly debited from the card, and you can transfer money onto it as you want.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/cards/prepaid-cards/planet-scb-card.html

Source - I've been using it for years.

This is different to a debit card, because your funding is limited to what's on your card. It has no international transaction fees and is multicurrency in the sense that you can transfer between currencies loaded onto the card and hold balances - but check the rate you're getting if doing that.

So it is very similar to a Wise or Revolut card.

Although with those two you can do International Transfers.

Edited by KannikaP

21 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Edit: Why do you want to withdraw cash from a credit card at an atm ?

Thats a cash advance and interest is calculated from the second you withdraw it…

If you want access to cash via atm you want a debit card.

There are overseas cards where that is not the case and if you can avoid the ATM fee they can be one of the best options for obtaining cash in Thailand.

Even if they do charge interest from Day 1, a day or two of interest if you pay them off quickly would be negligible.

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/barclaycard-rewards

On 10/15/2024 at 5:26 PM, connda said:

I've got a credit card in the US but if I make local purchases I get hit with international transaction fees.
I'd like to obtain one of those pre-deposit, M/C or Visa credit card from a Thai bank to make local purchases.
I can tie up 100K THB as a deposit for a 100K THB credit limit which is way more than I'll ever need.  What I don't want it a bank which insists on holding double the deposit of the credit limit.

What banks in Thailand will issue a credit card with these deposit/credit limits to a farang with a yellow house book, pink ID, Tax-ID, married to a Thai woman, who came into Thailand originally on a Non-B visa (now I just stay on marriage extensions).

I got one from Kungsri

I've got a credit card in the US but if I make local purchases I get hit with international transaction fees.
I'd like to obtain one of those pre-deposit, M/C or Visa credit card from a Thai bank to make local purchases.
I can tie up 100K THB as a deposit for a 100K THB credit limit which is way more than I'll ever need.  What I don't want it a bank which insists on holding double the deposit of the credit limit.

What banks in Thailand will issue a credit card with these deposit/credit limits to a farang with a yellow house book, pink ID, Tax-ID, married to a Thai woman, who came into Thailand originally on a Non-B visa (now I just stay on marriage extensions).

My CapOne Card and Amex card do not charge international fees. You might want to "google" US cards without international fees.

Capital One personal or business credit cards give 1.5 percent cash back and no foreign transaction fees. Decent exchange rate. 

Apple Card also gives one or two percent back with no transaction fees.

Capital One will mail you a card to Thailand if you are a USA citizen. They sent me a replacement business card to Thailand by express mail at their expense. 

Edited by Wake Up1

On 10/18/2024 at 1:29 PM, CanadaSam said:

For those asking about the difference between credit and debit cards, in many countries you can not rent a car without a credit card, they do not accept debit cards.

That's only one difference, but a major one for me, as I prefer to rent a car at whichever airport I land in.

I think you will find that, that is changing, and of course it depends on the country and car company.

It used to be that way in my country, but when I read the rental cars terms, you can see that they would accept debit cards, but they would draw down $4,000 as the waiver fee in case of an accident, so you had to make sure you had that amount on your debit card, they would then reimburse your card when you hand the car back.

I don't have a credit card, and I don't want one, it's cash or debit card which is my cash anyway, and when the Thai's try me on for a 5% surcharge, I tell them to weigh up the profit on the items vs the 5% charge they want to take from me, yes, yes, they say it's Visa/Mastercard, I don't care, but I will not pay it, they can take it out of their profit, or keep the goods, and yes I win hands down each time, but that's another topic.

Edited by 4MyEgo

CREDIT CARD fees ARE costly.  US DEBIT CARDS from my US BANK are very reasonable. On $1000US transfered to my THAI BANK I pay $1.50 TOTAL FEES using my US DEBIT CARD.  ( Transfer made at the TELLER,...NOT..the service desk )

My protection is that my US Bank will ONLY process 2 transactions - 2 different vendors, my Thai Bank ( any branch via merchant NAME ) and my US storage UNLESS I call them on my US PHONE NUMBER,  I use a VOIP provider APK for inbound / outbound US phone service in Thailand - my number comes up on caller ID and I give a special password,  and can advise them I am using the card for one particular Travel Agency in the US.

Edited by edwardflory
spelling

As I see it, you will already have the function with your debit/ATM card connected to your bank account.

23 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

As I see it, you will already have the function with your debit/ATM card connected to your bank account.

For booking travel stuff a credit card is much better and often necessary.

• Sad 1