Phuket taxi driver hits foreign man on airport zebra crossing

snoop1130

COVER-PIC-2024-10-16T135259.png

A Thai taxi driver hit a foreign man on a zebra crossing at Phuket International Airport yesterday leaving the man with serious injuries.

The Phuket Times reported the accident yesterday, October 15.

“An airport taxi with a green registration plate hit a foreign tourist on a zebra crossing at Phuket Airport. The foreigner lost consciousness and had a bloody wound on his mouth.”

The news agency added a picture of the victim in the comments section, showing the foreign man lying unconscious on the ground, still wearing his backpack. A man in a red shirt and an off-duty airport worker were seen providing assistance to the foreign victim.

The condition of the foreign victim was not updated in the report. It was not clear whether the taxi driver was present at the scene after the accident or not.

The report drew criticism of the airport taxi driver, as accidents involving airport taxis with green registration plates have been reported multiple times before. This case seemed more serious as it occurred right on a zebra crossing. Thai netizens commented on the accident.

“It’s inside the airport! How fast was the taxi driver going that he couldn’t stop in time for the pedestrian?”

“Can’t understand why motorists don’t stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings. What are the crossings for?”

“Airport taxis cause trouble everywhere they go. They are selfish and drive without manners.”

“I always avoid airport taxis on the road. I’m scared.”

“This foreign man just arrived in Phuket. He might want to go home after his first step at the airport.”

“More than half of airport taxi drivers are terrible drivers.”

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ Phuket Times ภูเก็ตไทม์

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-16

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's sad.

But obviously inside Thailand nobody will be surprised. TiT

Cynical, but very difficult to disagree. Pedestrian crossings on Phuket are simply strange patterns painted across some roads and serve no purpose other than to give the unwary a false sense of security - they do more harm than good!

There will be CCTV all over the airport and so the driver will be easy to identify, but I would be very surprised if he tried to do a runner.

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“It’s inside the airport! How fast was the taxi driver going that he couldn’t stop in time for the pedestrian?”

“Can’t understand why motorists don’t stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings. What are the crossings for?”

“Airport taxis cause trouble everywhere they go. They are selfish and drive without manners.”

“I always avoid airport taxis on the road. I’m scared.”

“This foreign man just arrived in Phuket. He might want to go home after his first step at the airport.”

“More than half of airport taxi drivers are terrible drivers.”

Above is the reaction from citizens of the country! Still they can´t fix the problem. Totally useless authorities and leaders in this country.

55 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

There will be CCTV all over the airport and so the driver will be easy to identify, but I would be very surprised if he tried to do a runner.

You mean this... 

"There will be CCTV all over the airport and so the driver will be easy to identify, but I would be very surprised if he didn't do a runner" ???