BBC Viewers Outraged Over Decision to Cancel HARDtalk: A ‘Grave Mistake’

Social Media

image.png

The BBC’s decision to cancel its flagship current affairs programme, *HARDtalk*, after nearly three decades on air has sparked outrage among viewers and media figures alike. Known for its hard-hitting interviews with global leaders, *HARDtalk* has become synonymous with rigorous journalism and challenging political figures. The show is hosted by veteran broadcaster Stephen Sackur, who has been a key part of its success.

On Tuesday, October 15, the BBC announced that *HARDtalk* would be ending in March 2025, a decision accompanied by the loss of 100 news roles within the organization. The move comes as the BBC faces growing financial challenges, with projections suggesting a £492 million deficit for the 2024/25 financial year.

Sackur, 60, expressed his deep disappointment over the decision, describing it as a significant loss for independent journalism. “It’s depressing news for the BBC and all those who believe in the importance of independent, rigorous, deeply researched journalism,” Sackur said. He stressed the value of the programme, adding, “At a time when disinformation and media manipulation are poisoning public discourse, *HARDtalk* is unique – a long-form interview show with only one mission, to hold to account those who all too often avoid accountability in their own countries.”

Throughout his career, Sackur has conducted interviews with some of the most powerful and controversial figures in the world, including Robert Mugabe, Hugo Chavez, Sergei Lavrov, Emmanuel Macron, Recep Tayep Erdogan, and Nancy Pelosi. His interviews have gained a reputation for cutting through political rhetoric and demanding answers from world leaders.

The decision to axe *HARDtalk* has led to widespread backlash. Fellow broadcaster Piers Morgan commented on the cancellation, expressing his surprise. “What a shame. Always enjoyed *HARDtalk* and your masterful interrogations, even when it [was] once me on the receiving end! Very surprised the BBC is ending it,” Morgan said.

Viewers of the show were similarly unimpressed by the news, with many calling for the BBC to reconsider. “Closing *HARDtalk* is a grave mistake,” one viewer wrote. “It’s the BBC’s top show holding global leaders accountable with tough, necessary questions. In an era of misinformation, we need more *HARDtalk*, not less.” Another praised Sackur’s interviewing style, saying, “Stephen Sackur created the gold standard in how to conduct an accountability interview – speaking truth to power. Thanks to you and the *HARDtalk* team for the incredible public service over so many years.”

As part of the broader changes, BBC Director of News Deborah Turness acknowledged the need to reduce posts due to financial pressures. In an email to staff, Turness explained, “I’m sorry to say that post closures are unavoidable. We propose to close 185 roles and open 55 new ones – a net reduction of 130 posts. As a result of the changes in news, media operations is also proposing to close the equivalent of 25 posts.”

For many, the loss of *HARDtalk* represents more than just the end of a television show—it signifies the erosion of a platform dedicated to holding power to account in a world increasingly plagued by misinformation.

Based on a report from the Independent 2024-10-18

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never heard of the presenter or the program.

And I used to work there.

Was not shown (in my memory) on the likes of BBC1 or 2.  It was normally shown on BBC News, so if you were not able to see that channel then no surprise.

25 minutes ago, john donson said:

bbc is like many national dinosaur broadcasters, taking tax money for their overpaid .......

Agree, never liked paying the licence fee.  But I mainly object to the ridiculous numbers of layers of management in the BBC, far more of a waste of money than the presenters (not justifying or condoning by the way).  All those managers, yet so many high profile people got away with some pretty heinous acts.

But I still watch BBC News as it's generally unbiased and they try to be accurate.  Plenty of folks could raise items where they believe they are not of course.  And so can I, but when compared with MSNBC, Fox etc. they are angels.

I'm a yank, and love Hard Talk on BBC news. Unlike so many interview programs, Steve doesn't pitch softball questions; he's done research to back up his "hard" questions; and he doesn't let interviewee scoot out with non answers on some other subject.

First BBC canned Dateline London, which got together each weekend with various journalists who cover various hot spots and are most often from those places. It was probably the one of the cheapest yet brilliant news shows they had. And it's gone, hole being filled by BBC staff. Hard Talk must have been the cheapest real in depth news show they had.

But still plenty of money for The Travel Show (can't be cheap to make).... and that sort of fluff is better left to commercial channels anyway.

• Agree 1