How many times have you left Thailand?

Celsius

On 10/17/2024 at 1:27 PM, Upnotover said:

Indeed, but you didn't really read the question.

The OP did not write "...leave to live in another country..." but from what you now write it seems that we were meant to understand it that way. Is that it?

Never. Not once. Been all-in for more than a quarter century. But totally understand those who do leave...or even say they are bailing, but never actually do. Things have changed greatly and have become much more onerous and challenging for us long-term stayers. 

• Agree 1

Almost once in twenty years. 

I planned to start splitting my year between Thailand and the UK but that plan fell apart in year three when covid came about. Today, I wouldn't even consider that idea again, I'm here and here is where I will burn.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Considering the fact that I do not have a fortune, I will stay. There are many issues to consider. Going back to the US is not an option. I would not want to live there now, unless I was being paid over a million dollars a year, and then I would only do it for 3 years, and then leave. For me, it is about quality of life, and my level of fulfillment on a daily basis, which I seem to have here in abundance. A big factor here, is the relatively light hearted attitude of the people. You just do not find that in the US, where most seem bitter, disenchanted, unfulfilled, and heavy hearted. 

This is an entirely subjective topic, of course. But some of us live very good lives here. Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstanding woman, who is delightful to be around, on a daily basis, always has our back, and is fun, smart, and lovely. For me, that likelihood of finding that back in the US, would be very low. So, that is a big factor for me. The second factor is just the quality of life. Sure, I miss alot of the culture back home. The theatre, independent film (which I can download here with no issues at all, and a super fast 1 gbps fiber optic connection, at under 700 baht per month!), stand up comedy, live jazz, etc. But I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation that I had to when I lived back there.

Frankly I have given it some thought, and I really don't think that I have a realistic alternative to Thailand. 

Excellent post Mike, but if only the Thai immigration would just come and go a bit better.

• Agree 1

On 10/17/2024 at 5:45 PM, Celsius said:

I mean announced on internet that you are leaving, but 1 - changed your mind, 2 - never meant to leave and were just trolling or 3 - left and returned for whatever reason?

Me the combo of all the above around 7-8 times that I can think of.

The replies were the usual....don't let the door hit you in derriere, this isn't the airport, poor sap ran out of money, enjoy the winter and fat women, etc ....

crypto millionaire got bored? too much cash ? houses in many countries? gf and wifes too maybe ?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I would not want to live there now, unless I was being paid over a million dollars a year, and then I would only do it for 3 years, and then leave.

Million bucks is about right when you factor in income taxes and what it costs to live a "comfortable" life all around these days.

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You just do not find that in the US, where most seem bitter, disenchanted, unfulfilled, and heavy hearted. 

There is an agenda being promoted in the West to demean people, to pit women against men, to up the stress levels. We see so many cracking now, mass shootings, people going off the deep end, divorces.... As you said, Thailand not a bad place to be for the long haul, comparatively.

• Agree 1

No intention of leaving Thailand now that Europe is preparing for war with Russia would be an idiotic idea, leaving for 6 months to go to another country this is planned for next year but returning to Thailand afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No. I don't like health insurance companies. I consider them to be a mafia and I stopped my plan about 10 years ago after it was consistently going up 20% per year, enough is enough, not a single claim and still insane increases. I self-insure and healthcare costs are reasonable enough in Thailand that I'm not worried about it. Had minor heart issues lately and paid out of pocket. If something very serious happens like cancer I will try something extreme like fasting. I would never do chemo, and if fasting doesn't work I'm okay. I've had a good life.

An anecdote about the US health care mafia. 

A good friend of mine got in a bad motorcycle accident some time ago. He almost lost his leg. He got his first of 11 operations at Bangkok Hospital Samui. It costs him over a million baht. They wanted to do a second procedure. They quoted him 1,400,000 baht. He decided to transfer to Bangkok. He was quoted 460,000 baht for the same procedure, at a top private hospital there. The surgeon told him that he worked at a public hospital too, and could do the same operation there, for alot less money. He told him he would get him a quote. In the interim, my friend called a good friend of his, in San Diego, who is an orthopedic surgeon. Since my friend is a retired chiropractor, he knew all the terminology, and explained what he needed, and asked for the best price. His friend called him back the next day, and quoted him $960,000, with cash discounts! The local surgeon here got back to him, and told him he could do it for 46,000 baht. He transferred, and they did all the rest of his procedures. So, 1,400,000 at Bangkok Hospital, 460,000 at Vejthani Hospital, and 46,000 at the public hospital, with an excellent surgeon. vs. 32,000,000 baht in the US. Again, no complaints from this peanut gallery.

well good luck.  The US medicare system is pretty good, not perfect but is pretty good and if your income is reasonable its cost is reasonable.  Current minimum A and Supp B and even with a no cost advantage plan i.e. or Supp D for drugs and dental is 186 USD a month.  And there is no denial due to age