Tourist Van Accident in Prachuap Khiri Khan: 8 Injured, 1 Dead

Georgealbert

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why, with no evidence at all to do so, are so many here immediately blaming the driver? 

No it was a passenger that leapt over the drivers shoulder and grabbed the steering wheel....or perhaps a ghostly appearance caused it.....certainly not the driver  :whistling:

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And what would be the normal reaction to a burst tyre, particularly if there are a lot of passengers to take care of?  Most people would want to stop the vehicle, wouldn't they?   And, on a busy road there may not be the option to not have to slow the vehicle down.

No...  The golden rule if you have a blow out is not to hit the brakes...    

Additionally - IF the road is 'that busy' the speed should not be so significant that it spins the van off the road.

... Thus: whichever pedantic approach you need to take to find an argument, its flawed. 

Why, with no evidence at all to do so, are so many here immediately blaming the driver? 

You are correct of course - to proportion driver fault in this individual incident we need to ignore all the other observations we see on a daily basis... such as...

... Speeding Mini-Van

... Mini-Van being driven erratically

... Many vehicles with poor tyres (low / missing tread)

As you point out, its easy to jump the obvious conclusions that this van was being driven very poorly by a lunatic driver but there is no proof of that.

...  Thus - we can only make assumptions and discuss....  we could be wrong in assuming this van was being driven very poorly - my guess is the driver was driving like a complete ayhole and the reason I guess that is that this accident fits the pattern of so many others... 

Just yesterday I saw a number of dangerous things on the roads.

- Pickup cars - speeding swerving

- Vans being driven erratically and tailgating

- Big Trucks with no tread on the tires (observed on slow moving traffic)

So... why we can be certain - we can throw out a good guess and those who are suggesting driver fault are more likely to be correct than not, IMO.

Edited by richard_smith237

The tyre blew out and the van spun off the road.... 

...   Why did the van spin off the road ??...  could it be the drivers reaction that caused the spin ?

- I had a blow out... no one else to blame but myself (pressures must have had a slow puncture I didn't notice - should have checked tyre pressures when I filled up for fuel in the middle of a long drive).

- My Wife had a blow out, we did not notice that the inside of the tyre was so poorly worn (tracking was off, car was 3 months out of a service)...  My fault for not inspecting the tyres as regularly as I should. 

In both situations, we didn't crash, because we didn't slam on the brakes - braking hard after the tyre blows out is an almost certain way to cause your car to lose control. 

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, very likely that he was so tired that a tyre burst.

Yes tyredness caused the accident. 

What I am saying is that perhaps because he was tired, he did not or could not properly react to the tired tyre  bursting.

Get it?