French Man Arrested for Reckless Riding on Doi Suthep

Georgealbert

Two posts breaking forum rules have been removed.

Rule 17. ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, and criticising grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken. Please note that republished articles may contain errors or opinions that do not reflect the views of ASEAN NOW.

23 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

They invited each other to ride up Doi Suthep recklessly, intentionally performing the stunts seen in the images to entertain their group of friends.

So, France doesn't have an Internet connection yet and the only thing kids have to do there is ride motorcycles around like jackasses?

On 10/20/2024 at 5:56 AM, Georgealbert said:

They invited each other to ride up Doi Suthep recklessly, intentionally performing the stunts seen in the images to entertain their group of friends.

Seemed like a good idea at the time... 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Okay this is some progress, but the question that comes to mind is why wasn't he caught in the act? Why isn't the highway patrol ever doing their job?

Why do they utterly refuse to patrol the highways, and thereby ensure the safety of the public? Why are they so spectacularly useless? 

Why doesn't anybody do anything about it? Everybody knows how bad the situation is on the highway, so you would think the first place you would start would be to ensure that the highway patrol actually patrols the highway. Doesn't that make sense?

Oh, I'm so sorry for using common sense and logic again. 

The road up Doi Suthep is not a highway.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I am in no way condoning the actions of this plonker, however...................

On 10/20/2024 at 5:56 AM, Georgealbert said:

Police officers then charged Hugo with driving without a license and reckless driving without regard for others’ safety.

Should they not be doing this to the thousands, upon thousands of Thai drivers who commit the same offence day in & day out. They would rake in millions of Baht a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, creative1000 said:

The road up Doi Suthep is not a highway.

In UK, could be defined as a highway “A highway is any public or private road or other public way on land. It includes not just major roads, but also other public roads and rights of way. 

I appreciate in US there is a different definition.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What about all the reckless Thai drivers driving there every day? 

That guy is an idiot, but getting arrested is ridiculous when the locals are 100% ignored. I can ride up Doi Suthep any day and guarantee I'll get cut off by at least 4 red trucks or vans who cut across the 2 lanes in the corners. 

• Agree 1

Feel like I see this kind of riding almost every time I'm on the road - locals, foreigners, it doesn't matter - too many drivers act invincible.

I wonder what a bit of traffic enforcement would do to this country.

Put policemen out there with body cams, issue tickets for even the small violations, reform the system so that unpaid tickets result in denied insurance renewals and licenses, and watch the road problems slowly begin to evaporate.

People break all the rules because they will get away with it every time

• Like 1

I stopped going up Doi Suthep 10 years ago but even then gangs of motorbikes would always cruise up there at maximum speeds on a daily basis. I'm sure it's 10x worse today and has tourists thrown into the mix too. Chiang Mai is a real <deleted> show these days. What a shame.