Yahya Sinwar’s Gambit: A Failed Attempt to Reshape the Middle East

Social Media

image.png

Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar’s attack on Israel last year was intended to trigger a transformation across the Middle East. He envisioned dragging Iran, Lebanon’s Hezbollah, and much of the region into a decisive battle that would result in the destruction of the Jewish state. The attack left some 1,200 Israelis dead, and though it profoundly shifted the region's political landscape, it failed to achieve Sinwar’s ultimate goal.

Instead of Israel’s collapse, the aftermath has seen tens of thousands of deaths in Gaza and Lebanon, including civilians, as well as the elimination of key figures like Sinwar and Hezbollah’s leader, Hassan Nasrallah. For the first time in history, Israel is directly engaged in military conflict with Iran.

Much like the Sept. 11 attacks orchestrated by Osama bin Laden, where he aimed to cripple American influence in the Middle East and promote Islamist rule, Sinwar’s attempt also fell short. The immediate result of his bloody strategy has been an exhibition of Israel’s military strength, the weakening of the Iranian-led "axis of resistance," and a further distancing of Palestinian self-determination efforts.

One of the reasons for this outcome is Israel’s ability to deal with its enemies sequentially rather than simultaneously. After subduing Gaza and toppling Hamas’s de facto rule in the enclave, Israel shifted its focus to Hezbollah in Lebanon. Precision airstrikes took out the leadership of Hezbollah, leaving the militant group incapacitated as a strategic deterrent for Iran.

This move allowed Israel to begin ground operations in southern Lebanon. Simultaneously, with support from the U.S., Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is now planning to target Iran in retaliation for a ballistic missile attack. Despite these ongoing military engagements, Israeli society and its economy have remained largely stable.

The long-term impact of these events remains uncertain. Much will depend on Israel’s ability to turn these military gains into durable political victories. “Iran is clearly on the back foot. Israel has neutralized some of the strategic threats that it faced,” said Firas Maksad, a senior fellow at the Middle East Institute in Washington. “Yet, while the Palestinian cause is front and center of global attention once again, it is definitely not on Sinwar’s terms."

Sinwar’s vision of a catastrophic regional war that would lead to Israel’s defeat and a mass exodus of Jewish people has not materialized. Instead, the focus has shifted back to discussions of a two-state solution and reforming the Palestinian Authority. Maksad added, “Ultimately, his objective has backfired.”

New Footage Released by IDF of Yahya Sinwar fleeing into the tunnels beneath his home just before Oct 7th attack

The Israel Defense Forces released footage Saturday evening showing now-slain Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar fleeing with his family and extensive supplies into a tunnel complex below his home in Khan Younis on the night before the October 7, 2023, onslaught he orchestrated, casting Sinwar as a cowardly commander who chose to hide underground in luxury conditions and prioritize his own survival throughout a year of war with Israel in Gaza.

DECLASSIFIED FOOTAGE:

Sinwar hours before the October 7 massacre: taking down his TV into his tunnel, hiding underneath his civilians, and preparing to watch his terrorists murder, kindap and rape.

The release of the footage, which the IDF said was recovered from Gaza several months ago, came amid attempts by some supporters of Hamas to portray footage of Sinwar throwing a stick at a surveillance drone in his final moments as proof of a heroic death by a leader who fought until his last breath.

"Inside his tunnel hideaway there are UNWRA bags and millions of shekels found by the IDF"

Based on a report from the WSJ | X | TOI 2024-10-21

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Haha 1

I hope that animal was in lots of pain before he was rubbed out.not only did he kill Israelis he brought this calamity down on his own people…..thats a lot to answer for!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Social Media said:

Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar’s attack on Israel last year was intended to trigger a transformation across the Middle East.

This could cause the end of the 70 year Palestinian terror campaign against Israel and the West .

This could be the beginning of peace in the region , although the Islamic regime in Iran would have to go the same way as Hamas and Hezbollah first before that can happen 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

while insisting that any diplomatic pact now hinges on Israel’s acceptance of a Palestinian state

Never going to happen under Netanyahu, who has opposed a 2 state solution for decades. 

The closest to that was under Yitzhak Rabin, who was assassinated in 1995, which allowed the opposition(Netanyahu) to seize power. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Social Media said:

He envisioned dragging Iran, Lebanon’s Hezbollah, and much of the region into a decisive battle that would result in the destruction of the Jewish state.

This is only an opinion, which I disagree with. 

I think he wanted the world to see the injustices Israel is has been imposing on Palestine. Things like the Blockade, for example. 

Pre Oct 7, did Sinwar have the freedom to leave Gaza?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

on the other hand...

A Mideast Shift Is Underway, Without Israel

A year ago, Saudi Arabia was preparing to recognize Israel in a normalization deal that would have fundamentally reshaped the Middle East and further isolated Iran and its allies while barely lifting a finger to advance Palestinian statehood.
Now, that deal is further away than ever, even after the killing of the Hamas leader, Yahya Sinwar, which has been widely seized upon as a potential opening for a peace deal. Instead, Saudi Arabia is warming relations with its traditional archenemy, Iran, while insisting that any diplomatic pact now hinges on Israel’s acceptance of a Palestinian state, a remarkable turnaround for the kingdom.

https://archive.ph/DYldd#selection-4711.0-4715.179

With Irans military wings Hamas and Hezbollah being decimated and Israel and USA possibly about to attack Iran and remove its leadership , its not surprising that Iran are trying to befriend Saudi Arabia .

A desperate measure from Iran .

Its likely that Israel and Saudi Arabia will continue peace talks once this war is over 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Since you can't find anything wrong with their reporting, you go after their ethnicity instead. You've got nothing. Well, not nothing. You've got bigotry. Lots and lots of bigotry.

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Since you can't find anything wrong with their reporting, you go after their ethnicity instead. You've got nothing. Well, not nothing. You've got bigotry. Lots and lots of bigotry.

Just pointing out that the whole article is very biased and pro Palestinian and Anti Israel   

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

With Irans military wings Hamas and Hezbollah being decimated and Israel and USA possibly about to attack Iran and remove its leadership , its not surprising that Iran are trying to befriend Saudi Arabia .

Its likely that Israel and Saudi Arabia will continue peace talks once this war is over 

Given how even more hated Israel has become in Saudi Arabia by the locals, it's dubious. MbS is now explicitly demanding a 2 state solution before relations can be regularized.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If you havent noticed, the world changing, opinions changing, and also Irans friends and support might change. Israel is on a life saving support from mainly Usa, and will that be enough in the long run? Rest of the western world who will they support? legal consequenses will one day hit back on Israel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ex Al Jazeera...lol

Maria Abi-Habib
Maria Abi-Habib is an investigative correspondent based in Mexico City, which she uses as a base to cover Latin America. In 2022, she won the George Polk award and was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for her work in Haiti.
https://archive.ph/3632N#selection-217.0-232.0

"With more than a decade of experience, I began my career at Al Jazeera English, covering the Middle East region. I then worked at Al Arabiya and The National, where my roles as a roving reporter and editor took me to more than a dozen countries across the Middle East including Saudi Arabia, Syria, Libya, Lebanon and Jordan."

https://www.nytimes.com/by/ismaeel-naar

What's even worse, is that now he works for the New York Times. We know what Fox News says about them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

This is only an opinion, which I disagree with. 

I think he wanted the world to see the injustices Israel is has been imposing on Palestine. Things like the Blockade, for example. 

Pre Oct 7, did Sinwar have the freedom to leave Gaza?

He spent years in Israel......lol

An Israeli prison for killing and decapacitating his own Palestianians in Gaza. He was also known as the "butcher of Khan Younis"

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If you havent noticed, the world changing, opinions changing, and also Irans friends and support might change. Israel is on a life saving support from mainly Usa, and will that be enough in the long run? Rest of the western world who will they support? legal consequenses will one day hit back on Israel. 

Indeed. Sinwar was not a stupid as this article portrays him. It was a long term play, which he was willing to die for. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Just pointing out that the whole article is very biased and pro Palestinian and Anti Israel   

And the only evidence you provided was their names. So, if a report comes from someone with a surname that indicates they are Jewish, would that be valid evidence that the report is not to be trusted? Or would it be anti-semitism?

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Maria Abi-Habib
Maria Abi-Habib is an investigative correspondent based in Mexico City, which she uses as a base to cover Latin America. In 2022, she won the George Polk award and was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for her work in Haiti.
https://archive.ph/3632N#selection-217.0-232.0

"With more than a decade of experience, I began my career at Al Jazeera English, covering the Middle East region. I then worked at Al Arabiya and The National, where my roles as a roving reporter and editor took me to more than a dozen countries across the Middle East including Saudi Arabia, Syria, Libya, Lebanon and Jordan."

https://www.nytimes.com/by/ismaeel-naar

What's even worse, is that now he works for the New York Times. We know what Fox News says about them.

I began my career at Al Jazeera English

I know that's why I posted it......lol

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And the only evidence you provided was their names. So, if a report comes from someone with a surname that indicates they are Jewish, would that be valid evidence that the report is not to be trusted? Or would it be anti-semitism?

The article content was biased , much of the content has already been commented on in previous threads and much of it would also be going off topic .

Hamas /Hezbollah lost a war and the reporters are trying to turn the loss into a victory 

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I know what I claimed to be true, what are you claiming I know?

And I know that the New York Times hired him. Do you think that Times doesn't know what it's about when it hires people? That if he incompetently or dishonestly reported the news that they would have hired him?

And I see you've got no answer for the fact that his co-author is a winner of a George Polk Award. You think she had no say in that article?

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

The article content was biased , much of the content has already been commented on in previous threads and much of it would also be going off topic .

Hamas /Hezbollah lost a war and the reporters are trying to turn the loss into a victory 

Thanks for asserting that the article is biased. And thanks for not providing any analysis to show where the bias is located.

The war is over?

• Thanks 1

Just now, placeholder said:

And I know that the New York Times hired him. Do you think that Times doesn't know what it's about when it hires people? That if he incompetently or dishonestly reported the news that they would have hired him?

And I see you've got no answer for the fact that his co-author is a winner of a George Polk Award. You think she had no say in that article?

I never asked you what you know, why? Because I care not the slightest. I won't get into what the Times does for their recruitment.........:saai:

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I know what I claimed to be true, what are you claiming I know?

I'm claiming it's not disqualifying to be a journalist who once worked for Al Jazeera. At least the New York Times doesn't think so. The Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal also employ journalists who once worked for Al Jazeera.

• Love It 1