Modified Pickup Crashes Into Utility Pole, Driver Killed on Impact

IMG_7082.jpeg

A young man driving a modified pickup truck lost control at a sharp curve, crashing into a utility pole and died at the scene. The incident occurred around 10:00 on October 20, on Samo Thong Road, near Soi Samo Thong 9, in Chanthaburi province.

Police from the Mueang Chanthaburi Police Station, doctors from Phra Pok Klao Hospital, and volunteers from the Sawang Katanyu Chanthaburi Rescue Foundation were dispatched to the site of the crash. Upon arrival, they found the wreckage of a black, modified Toyota pickup truck with license plate from Chanthaburi. The vehicle had veered off the road at a sharp bend and crashed into the base of a utility pole. The driver’s side of the truck was heavily damaged, with the bonnet forced open by the impact. A street sign near the pole had also been knocked down and was lying next to the vehicle.

Inside the wrecked truck, rescue workers discovered the body of a 24-year-old man, later identified as Mr. Watcharaphon (surname withheld), a resident of Tha Chang, Chanthaburi. His body was pinned against the driver’s side door due to the force of the collision. Rescue personnel had to use hydraulic tools to carefully extract his body from the wreckage.

Authorities observed long skid marks, about 20 to 30 metres in length, on the road, indicating that the driver had attempted to brake before the crash.

Preliminary investigations revealed that Mr. Watcharaphon had just left a friend’s house in Tha Chang municipality and was heading home, where he operated a small grocery store located about 2 kilometres from the accident site. As he approached the sharp curve, he lost control of his vehicle, which then slammed into the utility pole, resulting in his death.

Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the accident.

Picture from responders.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-21

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I hope it recovers ok. sorry but I can't find sympathy any more for these idiot drivers.

No, unfortunately the statistics of today speak a clear language. 1 down, and about 30-40 more to go.......

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

No, unfortunately the statistics of today speak a clear language. 1 down, and about 30-40 more to go.......

5 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

A street sign near the pole had also been knocked down and was lying next to the vehicle.

That is what I was referring to, hoping the street sign recovers and is upright again soon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That is what I was referring to, hoping the street sign recovers and is upright again soon.

Yes, I know, and I was agreeing with that you can not find sympathy for idiot drivers no more, by stating statistics say it will be about 30 to 40 more idiots that do the same thing today. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Recently a 3 hr drive turned into a much longer drive as traffic backed up.

Earlier on we'd been passed by about 10 pick-up trucks, modded, turboed up, lowered, everyone single one of them weaving in and out of traffic, going up the shoulder at speed, kicking up clouds of dirt and billowing out clouds of black-smoke from the turbo overclocking...    

Each of the individual pick-ups made an absolute nuisance of themselves causing people to swerve, avoid them...   so many 'near accidents' as they aggressively and loudly forced their way though busy traffic....

Then the alerts started popping up on Google Maps - accident up-ahead...  then the ambulances started threading their way though the traffic.

While I don't wish harm on anyone - I was kind of hoping for some form of Karma while also hoping that these idiots hand not hurt anyone innocent or crashed into an innocent vehicle. 

I never saw any crash site, but one thing I am certain of - idiots driving these pickups in this manner are always a moment away from a major life changing incident caused purely by themselves. 

How many police cars did they pass ?? I've no idea - if any... BUT.. one thing is for sure, I don't see the roads patrolled and dangerous drivers such as these idiots being dealt with.

We don't know what caused this incident (I refuse to use the word accident when someone is driving like an idiot)... and I suspect this pickup was being driven in the same manner we see so many of these pickups being drive - by an idiot in a dangerous and reckless manner.

At least they didn't hurt anyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

very sad news that someone died , but if he did not drive the way that we all assume ( speeding or alcohol } then he would more or likely to be sitting at home with his family or friends today , but that will never happen again and I feel more sympathy towards his family members than for him , we are all responsible for our own actions and therefore also the results of taking those actions.  RIP to the driver

Edited by Captain Flack
Please do not post in all bold text, as per the rules
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

A young man driving a modified pickup truck lost control at a sharp curve, crashing into a utility pole and died at the scene. The incident occurred around 10:00 on October 20, on Samo Thong Road, near Soi Samo Thong 9, in Chanthaburi province

More mods than skills.

Its not the mods thay kill them its the speed they drive. With 30m brake marks its under no doubt that he had high speed as he still after baking had speed enough to kill him. A pickup  is not built for speed as they are stiff they are built for carry load and can go on a litle terrain so when they have high speed they loose tracksion on the wheels. 

Anyone familiar with physics education in thai curriculum? Seems so many of these accidents are such that the drivers have no idea about basic laws of physics.