Positive stroke for moving to Chiang Mai

JimGant

6 minutes ago, novacova said:

4 months 

And yet, some areas starting to hit the unhealthy #s this month already, and that will last until the rains in May.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

Just now, UWEB said:

Don't forget your Oxygen Mask when moving to the north.

The smoke in north Lampang is way worse than in cm though I’d prefer living there in than in cm. The traffic in cm pretty bad with quite a few psychopath drivers. Most of the westerners here are weird antisocial types. The only thing I like about cm is the actual locals and my wife. When she’s ready to retire or have someone else run her business, we’ll move back to Lampang. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And yet, some areas starting to hit the unhealthy #s this month already, and that will last until the rains in May.

The air here is and has been very good since the end of May and don’t expect it to get bad until February 

Edited by novacova

49 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

I moved here unwillingly 14 years ago and it's never been a great place to live in my experience. It was dull and boring when I arrived and it still is. The expat population was (and probably still is) significantly older than it is in Bangkok. Walking around Airport Plaza when I first arrived was like walking around an old people's home. Every single Westerner I saw was well over 60. There's nothing wrong with being older of course but if you're under 50 and still active, I don't think Chiang Mai is a good place to live.

You walk around shopping canters looking at other people ?

If that's what you do for enjoyment , then its you that is dull and  boring .

I sold my two condos in Chiang Mai for precisely the hazy smog season; it's committing suicide on installments. 

And, for those who want to follow, put the place up just after the rainy season as the price is significantly below 50% during the smoking delights period! 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

I moved here unwillingly 14 years ago and it's never been a great place to live in my experience. It was dull and boring when I arrived and it still is. The expat population was (and probably still is) significantly older than it is in Bangkok. Walking around Airport Plaza when I first arrived was like walking around an old people's home. Every single Westerner I saw was well over 60. There's nothing wrong with being older of course but if you're under 50 and still active, I don't think Chiang Mai is a good place to live.

I mentioned some of my concerns on this very forum back then, which included food, and was met with hostility from posters, one of whom went so far as to claim the choice of restaurants in Chiang Mai is every bit as good as the choice in Bangkok. I gave up trying to have serious conversations on here after that. The city is dirty, unattractive, congested and attracts the type of visitors I could cheerfully strangle: posers, hipsters, digital nomads and neo-hippies who wander around SEA in search of authentic experiences, man. It also attracts the type of expats I dislike: older Westerners on a fixed income who are unable to see the irony of their bigoted attitudes, having chosen to emigrate here. Most of them pair up with a native girl whose history is better left undiscussed and slowly drink themselves to death.

You're just not going to the right places.

Chiang Mai food paradise: 'The best I've ever eaten'

Wherever you go in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand, the food is outstanding, says novelist Deepti Kapoor, who shares her favourite street stalls, markets and must-try barbecue, curry and noodle dishes

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/feb/24/thai-street-food-chiang-mai-tour-thailand

3 hours ago, novacova said:

The air here is and has been very good since the end of May and don’t expect it to get bad until February 

can you please provide some reliable proof for your claim (good air from june to february), like air quality data or studies?

foreigners who say "chiang mai is great" and that the air quality is very good, while looking through rose-colored glasses,

are not considered as a very trustworthy source...

Edited by motdaeng
add text
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2024 at 5:19 PM, JimGant said:

This is a 'feel good' news story about moving from the US to Chiang Mai. Probably similar for most of us reading this, especially Yanks, who, for most of us, will have no new tax hit with the recent Thai proposals. And who get by just fine in the smoky season.

https://www.businessinsider.com/retired-florida-cop-moved-to-chiang-mai-thailand-cheaper-safer-2024-10

where's smoke there's fire .......yeh chang mai over rated ..and so polluted with the burning of sugar cane .....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

can you please provide some reliable proof for your claim

Me, I live here is proof enough for me. Some complain about a minor amount of haze here in December just for the sake of complaining. If you want horrible air then go stay in Wangnuea during the dry season, cm smoke is Micky Mouse in comparison.

Edited by novacova

7 minutes ago, novacova said:

Me, I live here is proof enough for me. Some complain about a minor amount of haze here in December just for the sake of complaining. If you want horrible air then go stay in Wangnuea during the dry season, cm smoke is Micky Mouse in comparison.

Or just go to Bangkok, horrible air all year round.