Samsung repairs / after sales service

Kenny202

On 10/21/2024 at 4:57 PM, Kenny202 said:

Yes, like everything is programmed to self destruct these days. I remember my mum had a Rank Arena and a Phillips colour TV in the 70s/80s. Both were still in the home and working well both over 30 years old

My Hitachi fridge freezer is nearly 20 years old now and still going strong.

The bashing of Samsung would be more understandable if it wasn't so emotional. The original complaint comes from a person who is  upset because an out of warranty product will not be repaired as if it is under warranty.

An unknown model was purchased from Lotus over a year ago. We are not told if it was heavily used item, if it has been knocked over a few times or had liquids poured on it. (Consumers with  broken items, rarely admit to this.)   One doesn't know if the it was a higher end model, or an older demo model. The OP says he paid approx. 10,000 baht.  According to the Samsung price list, that's the cost of the most basic of 50" TVs. A low cost in itself is not an excuse for a device that breaks down after 14 months, but one can get a good idea what the TV is.

Here's a reality check: Samsung has one of the highest reliability ratings of all the TV manufacturers. The humidity and temperature conditions of Thailand are very different than the moderate temperatures of western Europe and they have an impact on  a consumer electronic's performance  and longevity. Today's TVs are not made to last for a long time for the simple reason that technology keeps changing and what was cutting edge 5 years ago, is often obsolete 5 years later.   My Panasonic of 7 years ago wouldn't be able to run Netflix today.

For reference sake; South Korea is where the top end of  Samsung's products (e.g. high quality QLED and 8K ) are manufactured and few of these TVs are exported to Thailand because they are too expensive  or require high speed internet which is not readily available in Thailand, outside of Bangkok.  

Vietnam: Most of the TVs seen in Thailand are manufactured here. They are for the local regional market and the  quality reflects the low purchase cost.

Samsung obtains its components inhouse and depending upon the model will outsource the manufacture of  its components to third party suppliers. These same suppliers  provide similar parts to  other Television manufacturers, some of whom are brands being praised in this thread. Look at who some of the suppliers are;

https://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/sustainability/supply-chain/supplier-list/

One thing that Samsung has that is different than some of the other manufacturers, is its  intensive quality control and testing process.

Yes, the control processors can suffer defects in the Samsung (and LG and Panasonic models), but that's  more of a reflection of Intel quality, not Samsung. Ever since Covid, there has been a worldwide shortage of semi conductors and it has impacted all manufacturers. and forced the use of parts that may not necessarily  be of the same high quality that was present 5 years ago. Unfortunately, it is an issue that faces every manufacturer of consumer electronics that require the chips and processors.

The reality is that Samsung is still one of the best quality  TVs available. No, this does not excuse the poor service response, but that's a  local Thai issue, not a Samsung issue.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

The bashing of Samsung would be more understandable if it wasn't so emotional. The original complaint comes from a person who is  upset because an out of warranty product will not be repaired as if it is under warranty.

An unknown model was purchased from Lotus over a year ago. We are not told if it was heavily used item, if it has been knocked over a few times or had liquids poured on it. (Consumers with  broken items, rarely admit to this.)   One doesn't know if the it was a higher end model, or an older demo model. The OP says he paid approx. 10,000 baht.  According to the Samsung price list, that's the cost of the most basic of 50" TVs. A low cost in itself is not an excuse for a device that breaks down after 14 months, but one can get a good idea what the TV is.

Here's a reality check: Samsung has one of the highest reliability ratings of all the TV manufacturers. The humidity and temperature conditions of Thailand are very different than the moderate temperatures of western Europe and they have an impact on  a consumer electronic's performance  and longevity. Today's TVs are not made to last for a long time for the simple reason that technology keeps changing and what was cutting edge 5 years ago, is often obsolete 5 years later.   My Panasonic of 7 years ago wouldn't be able to run Netflix today.

For reference sake; South Korea is where the top end of  Samsung's products (e.g. high quality QLED and 8K ) are manufactured and few of these TVs are exported to Thailand because they are too expensive  or require high speed internet which is not readily available in Thailand, outside of Bangkok.  

Vietnam: Most of the TVs seen in Thailand are manufactured here. They are for the local regional market and the  quality reflects the low purchase cost.

Samsung obtains its components inhouse and depending upon the model will outsource the manufacture of  its components to third party suppliers. These same suppliers  provide similar parts to  other Television manufacturers, some of whom are brands being praised in this thread. Look at who some of the suppliers are;

https://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/sustainability/supply-chain/supplier-list/

One thing that Samsung has that is different than some of the other manufacturers, is its  intensive quality control and testing process.

Yes, the control processors can suffer defects in the Samsung (and LG and Panasonic models), but that's  more of a reflection of Intel quality, not Samsung. Ever since Covid, there has been a worldwide shortage of semi conductors and it has impacted all manufacturers. and forced the use of parts that may not necessarily  be of the same high quality that was present 5 years ago. Unfortunately, it is an issue that faces every manufacturer of consumer electronics that require the chips and processors.

The reality is that Samsung is still one of the best quality  TVs available. No, this does not excuse the poor service response, but that's a  local Thai issue, not a Samsung issue.  

TBF, the OP did say it was a brand new TV.

One would assume it hasn't been knocked over etc.

I think you nailed it with your temperature and humidity comment.

When I buy a TV now, I hope it will last 4 years and anymore and it's a bonus.

That's why I think it's pointless buying something high end for 100 000 Baht plus.

Been there done that.

Now I just get a decent brand at a decent price and hope it lasts.