Samsung repairs / after sales service

Kenny202

On 10/21/2024 at 4:57 PM, Kenny202 said:

Yes, like everything is programmed to self destruct these days. I remember my mum had a Rank Arena and a Phillips colour TV in the 70s/80s. Both were still in the home and working well both over 30 years old

My Hitachi fridge freezer is nearly 20 years old now and still going strong.

The bashing of Samsung would be more understandable if it wasn't so emotional. The original complaint comes from a person who is  upset because an out of warranty product will not be repaired as if it is under warranty.

An unknown model was purchased from Lotus over a year ago. We are not told if it was heavily used item, if it has been knocked over a few times or had liquids poured on it. (Consumers with  broken items, rarely admit to this.)   One doesn't know if the it was a higher end model, or an older demo model. The OP says he paid approx. 10,000 baht.  According to the Samsung price list, that's the cost of the most basic of 50" TVs. A low cost in itself is not an excuse for a device that breaks down after 14 months, but one can get a good idea what the TV is.

Here's a reality check: Samsung has one of the highest reliability ratings of all the TV manufacturers. The humidity and temperature conditions of Thailand are very different than the moderate temperatures of western Europe and they have an impact on  a consumer electronic's performance  and longevity. Today's TVs are not made to last for a long time for the simple reason that technology keeps changing and what was cutting edge 5 years ago, is often obsolete 5 years later.   My Panasonic of 7 years ago wouldn't be able to run Netflix today.

For reference sake; South Korea is where the top end of  Samsung's products (e.g. high quality QLED and 8K ) are manufactured and few of these TVs are exported to Thailand because they are too expensive  or require high speed internet which is not readily available in Thailand, outside of Bangkok.  

Vietnam: Most of the TVs seen in Thailand are manufactured here. They are for the local regional market and the  quality reflects the low purchase cost.

Samsung obtains its components inhouse and depending upon the model will outsource the manufacture of  its components to third party suppliers. These same suppliers  provide similar parts to  other Television manufacturers, some of whom are brands being praised in this thread. Look at who some of the suppliers are;

https://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/sustainability/supply-chain/supplier-list/

One thing that Samsung has that is different than some of the other manufacturers, is its  intensive quality control and testing process.

Yes, the control processors can suffer defects in the Samsung (and LG and Panasonic models), but that's  more of a reflection of Intel quality, not Samsung. Ever since Covid, there has been a worldwide shortage of semi conductors and it has impacted all manufacturers. and forced the use of parts that may not necessarily  be of the same high quality that was present 5 years ago. Unfortunately, it is an issue that faces every manufacturer of consumer electronics that require the chips and processors.

The reality is that Samsung is still one of the best quality  TVs available. No, this does not excuse the poor service response, but that's a  local Thai issue, not a Samsung issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

The bashing of Samsung would be more understandable if it wasn't so emotional. The original complaint comes from a person who is  upset because an out of warranty product will not be repaired as if it is under warranty.

An unknown model was purchased from Lotus over a year ago. We are not told if it was heavily used item, if it has been knocked over a few times or had liquids poured on it. (Consumers with  broken items, rarely admit to this.)   One doesn't know if the it was a higher end model, or an older demo model. The OP says he paid approx. 10,000 baht.  According to the Samsung price list, that's the cost of the most basic of 50" TVs. A low cost in itself is not an excuse for a device that breaks down after 14 months, but one can get a good idea what the TV is.

Here's a reality check: Samsung has one of the highest reliability ratings of all the TV manufacturers. The humidity and temperature conditions of Thailand are very different than the moderate temperatures of western Europe and they have an impact on  a consumer electronic's performance  and longevity. Today's TVs are not made to last for a long time for the simple reason that technology keeps changing and what was cutting edge 5 years ago, is often obsolete 5 years later.   My Panasonic of 7 years ago wouldn't be able to run Netflix today.

For reference sake; South Korea is where the top end of  Samsung's products (e.g. high quality QLED and 8K ) are manufactured and few of these TVs are exported to Thailand because they are too expensive  or require high speed internet which is not readily available in Thailand, outside of Bangkok.  

Vietnam: Most of the TVs seen in Thailand are manufactured here. They are for the local regional market and the  quality reflects the low purchase cost.

Samsung obtains its components inhouse and depending upon the model will outsource the manufacture of  its components to third party suppliers. These same suppliers  provide similar parts to  other Television manufacturers, some of whom are brands being praised in this thread. Look at who some of the suppliers are;

https://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/sustainability/supply-chain/supplier-list/

One thing that Samsung has that is different than some of the other manufacturers, is its  intensive quality control and testing process.

Yes, the control processors can suffer defects in the Samsung (and LG and Panasonic models), but that's  more of a reflection of Intel quality, not Samsung. Ever since Covid, there has been a worldwide shortage of semi conductors and it has impacted all manufacturers. and forced the use of parts that may not necessarily  be of the same high quality that was present 5 years ago. Unfortunately, it is an issue that faces every manufacturer of consumer electronics that require the chips and processors.

The reality is that Samsung is still one of the best quality  TVs available. No, this does not excuse the poor service response, but that's a  local Thai issue, not a Samsung issue.  

TBF, the OP did say it was a brand new TV.

One would assume it hasn't been knocked over etc.

I think you nailed it with your temperature and humidity comment.

When I buy a TV now, I hope it will last 4 years and anymore and it's a bonus.

That's why I think it's pointless buying something high end for 100 000 Baht plus.

Been there done that.

Now I just get a decent brand at a decent price and hope it lasts.

3 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Victim blaming at its best 5555. What a complete and utter load of clap trap. You forgot I might have spilt beer all over it, Thai ghosts have possessed it etc etc. The TV was purchased new in the box. Never been moved or abused in any way. Normal use. How do you deem annoyance at a product 2 months out of warranty and then clear extortion / ransom to fix it of more than 60% of the new purchase price as "emotional". It's clearly wrong and seem to be many examples of same. Have a look at some of the reviews on their products / phones last few years exactly the same sort of stuff. I live in NE rural Thailand....we have cable internet speeds up to 1000mbs. This wont run a TV? I was under the impression Thailand has some of the fastest reliable internet in the world. A long meaningless diatribe of drivel designed to big note yourself.

Also I too have had many Samsung products over the last 15 years....Still have a washing machine and LED TV that had lasted for the first 10 years I have been here (obviously heat / humidity never effected it) and only replaced it recently with the said item in question. In fact any TV or appliance I have had in the last 30 years, Samsung / others have been extremely reliable and long lasting. It seems this is no longer the case. 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

TBF, the OP did say it was a brand new TV.

One would assume it hasn't been knocked over etc.

I think you nailed it with your temperature and humidity comment.

When I buy a TV now, I hope it will last 4 years and anymore and it's a bonus.

That's why I think it's pointless buying something high end for 100 000 Baht plus.

Been there done that.

Now I just get a decent brand at a decent price and hope it lasts.

My thoughts exactly. I will be looking for warranty over anything else in future. 3 years at least. If after three years it goes on the fritz I'll chuck it and buy another. My current TV is 4k and I use standard settings on it. I don't like the appearance of the 4k anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Will27 said:

I don't watch any free to air stuff on my Samsung so don't get the ads.

I watch everything through an android box so don't use the Apps either.

My issue is their lack of durability.

I don't think it matters what you are watching.  If you are using the Samsung UI and the TV is connected to the internet you will get the ads pushed onto your screen.

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/samsungads/

You can set up a DNS proxy to block the ads but it's a PITA to try enter that using a remote control.

https://gist.github.com/peteryates/b44b70d19ccd52f62d66cdd4bcef1e52

When I use a Firestick plugged into an HDMI connector it doesn't seem to be a problem because the entire Samsung UI is bypassed.  At least until they start trying to inject the ads onto the HDMI video, but they don't seem to be able to do that yet.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

I don't think it matters what you are watching.  If you are using the Samsung UI and the TV is connected to the internet you will get the ads pushed onto your screen.

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/samsungads/

You can set up a DNS proxy to block the ads but it's a PITA to try enter that using a remote control.

https://gist.github.com/peteryates/b44b70d19ccd52f62d66cdd4bcef1e52

When I use a Firestick plugged into an HDMI connector it doesn't seem to be a problem because the entire Samsung UI is bypassed.  At least until they start trying to inject the ads onto the HDMI video, but they don't seem to be able to do that yet.

I use mine through my android box and mainly watch stuff I've downloaded.

Sometimes I've watched sport using an IPTV and have never seen an ad.

Question. 

Did you plug something into HDMI, USB or some other inviting hole? Like PlayStation, computer, usb stick? These things sometimes resolve by themselves, or just need a good kick.

Talking aboit cr@p, my $hitty Daikin leaked onto the wall mounted TV. The picture looked like hand drawn VHS copy. People on this forum were telling me I was fkd and the whole circuit board needs replacing, but I let it sit for a week and picture is 100% back to normal.

15 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Question. 

Did you plug something into HDMI, USB or some other inviting hole? Like PlayStation, computer, usb stick? These things sometimes resolve by themselves, or just need a good kick.

Talking aboit cr@p, my $hitty Daikin leaked onto the wall mounted TV. The picture looked like hand drawn VHS copy. People on this forum were telling me I was fkd and the whole circuit board needs replacing, but I let it sit for a week and picture is 100% back to normal.

Nothing like that. Just watching TV and lost picture, still had sound. The tech said when he pulled it apart part of the backlight had blown. Not sure if a component or chip or what but he said caused some sort of burn mark

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Victim blaming at its best 5555. What a complete and utter load of clap trap. You forgot I might have spilt beer all over it, Thai ghosts have possessed it etc etc. The TV was purchased new in the box. Never been moved or abused in any way. Normal use. How do you deem annoyance at a product 2 months out of warranty and then clear extortion / ransom to fix it of more than 60% of the new purchase price as "emotional". It's clearly wrong and seem to be many examples of same. Have a look at some of the reviews on their products / phones last few years exactly the same sort of stuff. I live in NE rural Thailand....we have cable internet speeds up to 1000mbs. This wont run a TV? I was under the impression Thailand has some of the fastest reliable internet in the world. A long meaningless diatribe of drivel designed to big note yourself.

Also I too have had many Samsung products over the last 15 years....Still have a washing machine and LED TV that had lasted for the first 10 years I have been here (obviously heat / humidity never effected it) and only replaced it recently with the said item in question. In fact any TV or appliance I have had in the last 30 years, Samsung / others have been extremely reliable and long lasting. It seems this is no longer the case. 

No one is victim blaming. You are however having a hissy fit over nothing.

You paid 10,000 baht for an entry level 50" TV. In 1985, a 20 inch TV cost 40,000 baht+ and did not offer  anywhere near the features on the  current base TV models.

Samsung manufactures most of its Thai market mobile phones in Thailand. The recent quality phone  issues are specific to Thailand manufacturing issues.  The  Samsung televisions sold in  Thailand are mostly sourced from Vietnam and there are few quality issues reported on the products. Because someone on  a youtube channel offers an opinion that there is an issue with a Samsung TV component  does not make it a fact. Hundreds of thousands of Samsung Televisions are sold in Thailand and relatively few manufacturing defects are reported. When they are, they typically show up within the first 90 days of use. Yes, you may have a dud or a product that had an issue before its time. However, you do not know if your TV was subject to a power surge or an incident when you were not around.

You are angry because your relatively inexpensive Television is no longer in warranty. You have an unreasonable expectation when you froth over the refusal to provide warranty service.  You are upset that the service  has an estimated min, cost of 6,000 baht/USD 175 /137 Pound/ AUD 268/ EURO 165 Euro. Seriously, get a grip. That's nothing.

This is the reality of consumer electronics.

In respect to internet speeds, yes Thailand reports some high speed capability. The reality though is that the speeds are actually averages and consumers do not obtain the advertised high speeds. Outside of urban areas with their government hubs and universities, the broadband speeds are much, much lower on a daily consistency basis than is stated. The current Thai average is running below 250 mbps and reflects the impact of the high speed clusters.    https://www.speedtest.net/global-index/thailand        250 is still excellent, but it is not 1000mbps. 

In order to have the  fastest internet speeds, one must connect to a fiber optic system and presently, less than 25% of Thailand is located within 10 km of such a system, and those that do have  access  are in the larger urban centers.

Yes, it is unfortunate your TV broke down, but getting upset over a relatively small repair expense serves no purpose.. It's a minor expense and the cost of having consumer convenience.