Trump Backs Netanyahu’s Autonomy on Potential Iran Strike

Social Media

image.png

Former U.S. President Donald Trump has encouraged Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to act independently regarding a potential retaliatory strike against Iran. In an interview with Saudi state-owned news outlet Al Arabiya, which aired on Sunday, Trump expressed his support for Netanyahu's decision-making in response to Iran’s recent missile barrage against Israel. “Well, I think [Netanyahu is] going to do what he wants to do. And I think he has to do that,” Trump stated when asked about possible Israeli airstrikes on Iran in retaliation for the October 1 missile attack.

Trump also criticized current U.S. President Joe Biden's foreign policy approach, calling it “horrible” and urged Netanyahu to follow a path contrary to Biden’s advice. “Biden was giving him some very bad – look, Biden has been historically horrible on foreign policy. Incompetent,” Trump said. “I would say what you do is anything [Biden] says, do the opposite, and you’ll be brilliant.” He further implied that Biden's instructions to Netanyahu put Israel in a precarious situation, saying, “[Biden] gave [Bibi] instructions not to do anything, and Israel is under great danger.”

In the interview, Trump responded to the suggestion that he might be the only leader capable of ending the ongoing Middle East conflict due to his close ties with Netanyahu. Trump agreed, saying, “I think you’re right. He does listen to me.”

While he refrained from disclosing how he would prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons, Trump expressed respect for the Iranian people, labeling them as “great negotiators.” He hinted at the possibility of reaching a diplomatic solution, noting, “In its own way, [Iran is] probably in danger, maybe more so than they would have thought a month ago.”

He stressed his desire to avoid further bloodshed, remarking, “I don’t want to see people killed. Everyone’s being killed in the Middle East. I don’t want to see that.”

Iran launched roughly 180 ballistic missiles at Israel in retaliation for the Israeli strikes that killed Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah and Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh. This recent barrage marks the second direct attack on Israel by Iran since the Hamas terror attack on October 7, 2023.

Based on a report from the NYP 2024-10-24

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png