Foreigner Wrecks Chiang Mai Stall After Smoking Ban Warning

webfact

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 16.50.55.png

With fellow countrymen like the smoker with the frail ego and yourself you can hardly blame me for wanting to disown you.

Typical tough guy destroying the shop of two Asian women.

I hope they venture down to soi 6 in Pattaya. Brian’s security boys will give them a good seeing to.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

video screenshot

A heated confrontation unfolded at Chiang Mai’s bustling Chang Phuak market on 23 October when a foreign man reacted violently after being asked to stop smoking near a popular dessert stall.

The incident was captured in a viral TikTok video by user @ketar_nk, showing the man throwing a lit cigarette at the vendor and causing damage to the stall before being doused with water.

The confrontation began when a group of foreigners visited the market, with one man lighting a cigarette near a gas stove while waiting for his friends.

Despite the presence of clear signage in English warning against smoking, the vendor, who runs a well-known bualoy (sweet dumplings in coconut milk) stall, politely asked the man to put out his cigarette. According to the vendor, she was concerned about the proximity to the gas stove and the safety of her customers.

However, the request infuriated the man, who argued that he had the right to smoke wherever he pleased, claiming it was a personal freedom. When his partner arrived, the situation escalated as the man exaggerated the story, making it appear as though he had been unfairly targeted.

This led to an intense verbal argument, with the foreign man hurling insults at the vendor and acting aggressively.

At this point, the vendor’s younger sister stepped in to inquire what was happening. The foreigner, feeling threatened, responded by overturning trays of bualoy, damaging tables, and throwing his lit cigarette at her.

In an effort to extinguish the cigarette and diffuse the situation, the vendor grabbed a bucket of water and threw it towards the man. The water, intended to put out the cigarette, accidentally splashed the man, intensifying the scene.

Shortly after, the man’s friend, who had been using the restroom, returned and attempted to calm the situation. He rebuked his friend for his behaviour, pointing out that the stall clearly displayed signs prohibiting smoking.

Following this, the group apologised, and the altercation ended with both parties going their separate ways.

The stall owner later took to TikTok under the account @suangbualoy to clarify the situation, stating that the incident had drawn negative comments online, reported Khasod Thai.

She expressed regret over the confrontation, explaining that her actions were intended to prevent a fire hazard, not to provoke the man. The video and explanation have since sparked widespread discussions about cultural misunderstandings and respect for local regulations.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-24

news-footer-2.png

image.png

Where does it say he is English?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But every Brit I know, almost without exception, has basic decency, manners, and respect for others - qualities you lack.

So are you claiming we do not have a terrible reputation abroad?

we can either keep denying it or we can accept the reality and apologize.

A real man will apologize.

A real man would have sufficient intellect not to stoop to the vulgarity of sweeping generalisations.

The British are lamented in Spain, the Australians maligned in Bali, and Americans suffer disgrace in Tijuana. The pattern is as predictable as it is tedious: wherever a sizeable group of any nationality exists, a few unsavoury individuals will inevitably sully the reputation of the whole.

Yet, it’s always the same, dreary chorus of the half-wits in response.... Oh the Swiss, the Australians, the Brits etc..  whichever nationality happens to stumble into disrepute, there is no shortage of uninspired minds ready to seize upon these moments to validate their insular, echo-chamber biases.

Those who succumb to this idiocy reveal the inadequacies of their education.

Perhaps it was the unfortunate curriculum of a third-rate Canadian community college that failed you so thoroughly....  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The British are lamented in Spain, the Australians maligned in Bali, and Americans suffer disgrace in Tijuana.

Yes they are all idiots also.

Which is why I am now Canadian. Who don’t have such a reputation as us, the Americans and the Australians.

Dont you think it is ironic that the three biggest complainers of foreigners behaving badly in their own countries are the Brits, The Australians and the Americans?

You morons can have each other. 

The thing is I see these idiots here on a daily basis. If it wasn’t filmed we wouldn’t have known about it. But it is a daily occurrence. Yesterday was the riding drunk down the wrong way and causing more damage to Thai people. 

You can bury your head in the sand and pretend it is just a one off.

But it isn’t. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

In an effort to extinguish the cigarette and diffuse the situation, the vendor grabbed a bucket of water and threw it towards the man. The water, intended to put out the cigarette, accidentally splashed the man, intensifying the scene

What a silly statement, the water was  intended to put out the ciggie (in the man's mouth?) and accidentally splashed him.

Watch the video again. The water went right behind the 'offender'. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

causing damage to the stall

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

what exactly was wrecked ??.

Here we go again. Always making up your own version of what happened. 
apologising if it is a Brit, or criticizing if a Thai.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just curious on this one....   Because although the headline states "Foreigner wrecks Chiang Mai stall"... 

When I read the headline I cringed thinking “he is probably going to be a Brit”.

I think probably most of us did.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

what exactly was wrecked ??.

Here we go again. Always making up your own version of what happened. 
apologising if it is a Brit, or criticizing if a Thai.

What was wrecked ??? - did you see any photo's or pictures of a 'wrecked stall'.... 

I saw none of that....     I think its just an exaggeration for the headline... 

No apologising for the Brit - he's clearly a pi!!ock...  read that twice if you need to, just to lock it into that bigoted scull of yours !!! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

no matter what you all think about smoking and smokers. This incident as well as your approval of the vendors actions will incite others to do the same or worse at their leisure to any foreigner who is not doing what the Thai think they should be doing. And think they are justified and will get away with it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

He has been a Brit and an Aussie, also some years ago i suspect he was a Thai female ( Yinn ) ….. yes ! ….. you heard it here first !

I suspected he was someone else but YINN ????   555.   Proof?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The cigarette smoke would likely annoy her and her customers and if he really needed to smoke , he could walk for 20 seconds to sit on a bench away from everyone else .

It is illegal to smoke in restaurants in Thailand or just standing outside the door of an establishment 

But is/was it illegal for him to smoke there?

Can you answer that?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Having lived here for over two decades I think its a fairly 'safe assumption' to suggest that the language and tone used when 'Politely asking the Brit to stop smoking' was far from pleasant and far from polite.... 

In fact, I would go as far and suggest that the stall owner was rather impolite, loud and rude with her request (as we sometimes see in these confrontations).

I would also make the assumption that the 'sister followed suit' with said 'loud and rude behavior' which inflamed the situation more. 

Perhaps due to a language barrier, but I very much doubt the request was "please Sir, would you mind moving away from the stall while smoking, we have food here for customers"... 

... and I 'imagine' it was more like... "YOU, YOU, Go away, move, no sa-moke, no sa-moke ...  go away"... 

And the situation went from zero to incendiary in an instant.

And of course the article polishes this to make the Thai's look extremely soft and gentle... 

BUT - with all of that said, the British Guy is an absolute inconsiderate, self-centred ayhole, and no one wants this behavior near them or in their country... such characters are vermin....   

BUT... in the 'anatomy of this inflamed interaction' I would guess that smoking triggered the upset of the Thai stall workers who's response escalated the interaction into the ensuing row. 

Completely agree - though we may be accused of 'victim blaming' here - I doubt the two ladies in question were shrinking violets... and the Brit was clearly a grade A1 ayhole. 

I agree 100% and have also been here more than 2 decades. 

My main gripe is the reporting of the way the Thais were so perfect, when they (possibly) have no right to tell him what not to do in public.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Should she instead unplugged the gas cylinder and pointed gas at his face instead?

So you would be fine with him receiving serious possibly life threatening injuries.    I think you are taking your virtue signalling a little too seriously. I can understand it must be fun to be part of a baying mob but don't you think what you have suggested is going a little too far.  I hope you are not posting from the UK. people have received substantial custodial sentences for making comments similar to yours.

Just for the record due you think he deserves his face burning off for Smoking  or for being British?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

He has been a Brit and an Aussie, also some years ago i suspect he was a Thai female ( Yinn ) ….. yes ! ….. you heard it here first !

I remember Yinn, the foreign man posing as a Thai girl....won POTY contest...I suppose trans was on here befor real life 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I remember Yinn, the foreign man posing as a Thai girl....won POTY contest...I suppose trans was on here befor real life 

Yinn was an Aussie bloke.......😘

• Confused 1