Foreigner Wrecks Chiang Mai Stall After Smoking Ban Warning

webfact

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

other silly aspect of this is his complete lack of regard for the gas hazard. One wonders if he smokes while filling his car with gas. He is simply a weak snowflake, who could not handle being asked to put on his cigar

That argument is a clutch at straws - cooking is with an open flame....    Smoking poses no 'fire' risk in this situation whatsoever, attempting to use the 'smoking' argument from a safety aspect deflects from the real issue here... 

1) Pillock Smoking and getting angry when told he can't.

2) Inflammatory over reaction from the two Thai women escalating the situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You will have to ask the people who named it "Chang  Phuak market" 

Who named WHAT "Chang  Phuak market"?

I have not been to CM in 20 years, so I am unfamiliar with the place, but is the side of the road a non-smoking market, making his behaviour ILLEGAL?

Don't get me wrong, the guy's clearly a d*ck, and I think smoking should be banned worldwide... but the original article (especially its headline) is very 'pro the Thai lady 'victim' and anti farang. That's all I have to say.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

With regards to the actual law - I don't think this area (an open air market) can be classified as a non-smoking area....

Well if you bother to read the link below you will see that it is a bylaw that carries a 2000 baht fine.

Now while you, Scouse and the smoker may claim it is your “rights” to smoke wherever you want this happens to be in Thailand and they make the rules, not you.

interesting reading the Thai take on this ugly farang behavior.

Some suggested they should have thrown the gas bottle at the idiot instead of just water.

Others suggested a Muay Tai lesson. 
Many referred to them as “it”

Others complained that this is common amongst foreigners who feel they are above the law.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=868994052073645&id=100068891745615

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

With regards to the actual law - I don't think this area (an open air market) can be classified as a non-smoking area.... But the guy was still a pr!ck for lighting up in that area.

Its against the law to smoke in markets and its against the law to smoke in restaurants  an also against the law to smoke just outside restaurants .

The essence of the law is quite clear .

He could legally claim that he was smoking in the road .

But that will still go against the essence  of the law .

Also smokers need to be 5 meters away from no  smoking areas , so his smoking was illegal 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

2) Inflammatory over reaction from the two Thai women escalating the situation.

Yes, they should have bowed down to the colonizers.

There were signs in English, he was asked politely to move along but he decided to get in their face, swear, and wreck their stall instead.

The law doesn’t apply to us Brits.

IMG_3763.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, 2long said:

Who named WHAT "Chang  Phuak market"?

Am I understanding the question correctly ?

The area is called Chang Phuak (and I don't know  WHO named it Chang Phuak) and in that area people sell things and areas where people sell things are called markets , that is why its called Chang Phuak market

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Well if you bother to read the link below you will see that it is a bylaw that carries a 2000 baht fine.

Now while you, Scouse and the smoker may claim it is your “rights” to smoke wherever you want this happens to be in Thailand and they make the rules, not you.

I don't smoke ya daft nobster... so I'm not claiming my rights for anything. 

And if you read any of my comments with the slightest 'dash of mental balance' you would have been able to identify that I'm condemning the guys behavior, not supporting it.

BUT, I am also recognising that he may not actually be braking an Thai laws.

21 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

interesting reading the Thai take on this ugly farang behavior.

Some suggested they should have thrown the gas bottle at the idiot instead of just water.

Others suggested a Muay Tai lesson. 
Many referred to them as “it”

Others complained that this is common amongst foreigners who feel they are above the law.

Cherry picking comments off a forum that suit your rhetoric.....  is not hardly indication the general temperature....   You foolishly contradict yourself. 

Its fortunate that 'most Thais' are patient and forgiving (as you have pointed out) which contrasts with your comments above.... 

... OR after reading the above comments to you now think 'most Thai's refer to foreigners as 'it'', suggest a Muai Thai Lesson (implying foreigners should be physically beaten), and have the gas cylinder thrown at them...  implying a far more serious escalation to Violence - Nice Thai's those few you seem to admire...    

• Thanks 1

As I understand it, you cannot smoke in or outside a restaurant, or anywhere serving food, I believe 5 metres away is the law.

Perhaps a pamphlet should be given to tourists regarding does & don'ts..🤗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Posting a facebook post as an example of a bylaw is hilarious... what an idiot. 

IF the man was smoking on the pavement and not within the market, he may not actually be breaking the law. 

IF the stall is encroaching onto the pavement, then they are in fact in breach of zoning regulations. 

All of the above is just silly noise - whether legal or not, it doesn't matter... common decency suggests that the guy should not be smoking in that area, on the pavement - whether its legal or not, because smoking in public like that is just anti-social. 

Someone putting up a home-made sign, does not make something a law. 

Any dicussion on the law here is somewhat of a red herring, as is the 'potential danger' to Gas Cylinders. 

The guy was a loud, rude aggressive idiot. 

The women were loud, rude aggressive idiots.

You... Well, lets just say your comments also mirror the above sentiment on idiocy with your blind bias and absolute inability to see any of this through balanced optics. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

As I understand it, you cannot smoke in or outside a restaurant, or anywhere serving food, I believe 5 metres away is the law.

Perhaps a pamphlet should be given to tourists regarding does & don'ts..🤗

Yes, I posted exactly that 20 minutes ago above , thanks for posting it again, just incase someone missed it 20 minutes ago when I first posted that 

17 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:
23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Someone putting up a home-made sign, does not make something a law. 

It is illegal to smoke in markets , its irrelevant as to who put the sign there .

Its the law in Thailand , no smoking in markets 

Agreed….  But was he in the market ?

or was he outside of the market on the pavement / road.

That’s not condoning his actions - IMO the law is of little relevance here….
he should not have been smoking in that area out of common decency.

But, is ppl are going to get pedantic we could end up down quite a rabbit hole arguing that the market is encroaching on the side walk… is that legal etc etc…

.., it all kind of misses the issue. 

• Like 1

Flame and resulting personal attack removed.

Civil and polite posts please.

Troll post aimed at another member also removed.

Please be polite and civil to other forum members.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed….  But was he in the market ?

or was he outside of the market on the pavement / road.

As I posted just previously , smokers need to be five meters away from the restricted areas of non smoking , so he would have needed to be five meters away from the market for it to be legal , which he quite clearly wasn't 

12 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

As I posted just previously , smokers need to be five meters away from the restricted areas of non smoking , so he would have needed to be five meters away from the market for it to be legal , which he quite clearly wasn't 

Yes, and the Thai would not have bothered asking him to extinguish it if it was.

The apologists are just grasping at straws. All nonsensical as usual.

He should also be fined for littering. These entitled smokers never carry ashtrays and think it is ok to flick their butts anywhere they like.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Are you one of those guys that goes into a bar, a no smoking bar and stands in the bar doorway with his legs in the bar and his head and right hand outside the bar leant over and sparks up a cigarette and says "What , I'm smoking outside" as all the exhaled smoke wafts into the bar ?

I don't smoke, I don't like the habit.

I don't vape or anything else either.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2024 at 1:16 PM, Foxx said:

I don't believe England can still be classed as first world.  Look at the capital, much of which now resembles a third world hellhole.

Doesn't resemble, it is!

Problem is, you wont find may indigenous Brits there anymore.

20 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Yep…. That’s a valid point - I completely agree with you on that.

Was the market legally zoned ???  

That’s the point I was making about going down the rabbit hole of ‘legality’ when everyone was breaching some technicality or law…. 

I don’t know that the market was one of those pop-up markets that breach zoning regulations or not - many are in breach of regulations, it’s a common issue which is why the legal questions can end up down a daft rabbit hole of uncertainty.

It opens to a can of worms that starts to get silly when the real issue was both an idiot Brit & two idiot Thais were behaving very poorly. 

On 10/24/2024 at 1:16 PM, Foxx said:

I don't believe England can still be classed as first world.  Look at the capital, much of which now resembles a third world hellhole.

With millions of people like this smoker getting around I agree with your point.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Just came over this year. Same age as you, but I am retired.

Looking at doing some investments here but I don’t want to work, more passive investing, there are a lot of opportunities here.

Had a couple of holidays here before that though.

Nice country, nice people.

i really like it.

Sure, it´s all good here when living. personally, I do not have any problems with neither the people nor the culture. Just baffles me when I read about totally stupid things. But, sure! That´s how it is.

Sounds like good ideas. Just find something that is not a scam. That will be the hardest part regarding investments here. 😉 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Was the market legally zoned ???  

I would say that it was , because all the illegal markets and food stalls got closed down a few years ago and removed from the streets and its just the legal ones left

Just like the crackdowns on wearing helmets, inspections of bars and the result is no hookers found in Pattaya, just like the crackdowns on crossing the road etc... 

... As soon as there is a spare open space left for a few weeks or more, a few stalls start up and before we know it there is a 'pop-up market'... 

Anyway - its somewhat irelevant....    Even if the guy was 5m away, in the open and his smoke was blowing towards somewhere / someone... and someone asks if he can extinguish his cigarette - his first course of action should have been to either move further away or apologies and extinguish said cigarette....   BUT.. that response would depend very much on how he is treated. 

A lot of these issues depend upon how things are handled. 

I remember being 'up country' in Mae Sot and not being able to find a parking space close to a restaurant I was going to. So, I tried to park on the side of the street but there were stools blocking parking....   the owner of a shop (who's stool was blocking the spot) was watching, I got out of my car, gave here a wai and asked (in Thail) it it was ok I parked there for 20 minutes....  the grumpy looking old boot melted into a smiling old dear and said no problem.... 

... However, if she had started screaming at me that I can't park there, she may have received a less than wholesome response before I drove off.

SO....  I think a lot of this issue depends upon 'how' the guy was asked or 'told' to stop smoking - I alluded to this earlier....  more than the actually legalities involved etc - this issue has everything to do with the manner in which human interaction failed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just like the crackdowns on wearing helmets, inspections of bars and the result is no hookers found in Pattaya, just like the crackdowns on crossing the road etc... 

... As soon as there is a spare open space left for a few weeks or more, a few stalls start up and before we know it there is a 'pop-up market'... 

Anyway - its somewhat irelevant....    Even if the guy was 5m away, in the open and his smoke was blowing towards somewhere / someone... and someone asks if he can extinguish his cigarette - his first course of action should have been to either move further away or apologies and extinguish said cigarette....   BUT.. that response would depend very much on how he is treated. 

A lot of these issues depend upon how things are handled. 

I remember being 'up country' in Mae Sot and not being able to find a parking space close to a restaurant I was going to. So, I tried to park on the side of the street but there were stools blocking parking....   the owner of a shop (who's stool was blocking the spot) was watching, I got out of my car, gave here a wai and asked (in Thail) it it was ok I parked there for 20 minutes....  the grumpy looking old boot melted into a smiling old dear and said no problem.... 

... However, if she had started screaming at me that I can't park there, she may have received a less than wholesome response before I drove off.

SO....  I think a lot of this issue depends upon 'how' the guy was asked or 'told' to stop smoking - I alluded to this earlier....  more than the actually legalities involved etc - this issue has everything to do with the manner in which human interaction failed. 

This incident is very clear cut, and don´t need a lot of clarification nor justification. The Brits is an arse, and he behave like a moron in Thailand. it very simple today, to understand that other people do not want cigarette smoke in their eyes or breath in. it´s normal and respectful behavior to walk aside for the need to smoke. You should especially not smoke where there is a sign that tell you to not do, as well as respect when someone point that fact out to you.

That´s the only thing that need to be said. The Brit is 100% wrong, and the Thais did nothing wrong at all. Doesn´t matter how the law is and what is forbidden or permitted. It´s all about understanding, respect and common sense. He just better stay home, as he lacks all of them.

• Confused 1

Just now, Gottfrid said:

This incident is very clear cut, and don´t need a lot of clarification nor justification. The Brits is an arse, and he behave like a moron in Thailand. it very simple today, to understand that other people do not want cigarette smoke in their eyes or breath in. it´s normal and respectful behavior to walk aside for the need to smoke. You should especially not smoke where there is a sign that tell you to not do, as well as respect when someone point that fact out to you.

I agree with this part 100%....  the Brit was an inconsiderate pr!ck... I've not deviated from that aspect of this at all. 

Just now, Gottfrid said:

That´s the only thing that need to be said. The Brit is 100% wrong, and the Thais did nothing wrong at all.

This I disagree with - I 'suspect' the situation escalated the way it did purely because of the way the Thai's spoke - I don't believe for a second that they asked the Brit Politely...  I've seen the way Thai's react with a hair-trigger at situations like this and go from zero to boiling in an instant.

Of course, we don't know that because the video only shows the 'fight' not the trigger and what led up to the conflict. 

Just now, Gottfrid said:

Doesn´t matter how the law is and what is forbidden or permitted. It´s all about understanding, respect and common sense. He just better stay home, as he lacks all of them.

I also agree with this - people who behave antisocially in public are better out out of the way. 

But, the video show's him very angry - Did he go from Zero to 100 degrees boiling hot for simply being asked very politely to extinguish his cigaretted - I doubt it, I'm guessing the tone and lauguage used against him triggered his anger (snowflake indeed), nevertheless, it is my suspicion that the situation was handled very poorly by all concerned...   

This was not a one sided conflict.

• Agree 1