Police seize 68 motorcycles in Bangkok street racing crackdown

webfact

I wonder how this works if the bikes are financed and then seized by the police.

I guess the guy who financed the bikes will stop paying for the bikes which they don't have.

And will the finance company get the seized bikes from the police?

How does that work?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how this works if the bikes are financed and then seized by the police.

I guess the guy who financed the bikes will stop paying for the bikes which they don't have.

And will the finance company get the seized bikes from the police?

How does that work?

Thats an interesting point...    ultimately its the finance company that are punished as they are out of pocket. 

But, that also means the 'racers' who have defaulted and will not be able to secure financing on future motorcycles.

Theoretically, I'm assuming that after defaulting on payment, the finance company can claim the return of the motorcycles - though that may be a long winded process over which time the 'resale value' of said motorcycles depreciates below a level that makes such efforts 'worth it' - thus ultimately, I suspect any such finance on these bikes may get written off as a loss. 

Or, can the 'racers' go to the stations and 'receive there confiscated motorcycle' after paying a fine...  and they can 'race another day'.... 

... i.e. how long is the confiscation for ? days, weeks etc ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What's a high-speed race with those things? 110? Or maybe even 120km/h?

I love seeing them laying down over the handlebars with their feet on the rear pegs and their head as far forward as they can get without a helmet, very aerodynamic, and much easier for a light pole to hit them where it counts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I love seeing them laying down over the handlebars with their feet on the rear pegs and their head as far forward as they can get without a helmet, very aerodynamic, and much easier for a light pole to hit them where it counts.

Many years ago, I saw them racing over one of the river bridges.

Flat on the seat of the bike, feet aerodynamic over the tail of the bike. It's amazing that most of them seem to be able to stay on the bike only holding to the handlebar. Amazing Thailand. 

Only 68 motor cycles.  Pity it wasn't 680, and all sent to to the crusher.  

I would imagine that whoever has bought the m/c on finance will have to keep paying the finance company as per his agreement.  I am sure that Thai finance companies have plenty of experience of dealing with defaulters.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Police in Bangkok apprehended a large group of motorcycle riders racing on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road, seizing 68 motorcycles and detaining both racers and their supporters.

Seize and destroy... time to stop this madness.

2 hours ago, Robin said:

Only 68 motor cycles.  Pity it wasn't 680, and all sent to to the crusher.  

I would imagine that whoever has bought the m/c on finance will have to keep paying the finance company as per his agreement.  I am sure that Thai finance companies have plenty of experience of dealing with defaulters.

If on finance the biles would/should have first class insurance. The riders could report them stolen, i.e. taken without their permission😋

15 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

If on finance the biles would/should have first class insurance. The riders could report them stolen, i.e. taken without their permission😋

Report them to the same police who confiscated them, you mean ???

Do you really think 'police confiscation' can be classified as theft.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Report them to the same police who confiscated them, you mean ???

Do you really think 'police confiscation' can be classified as theft.

No. It was a 'tongue in cheek' response. Although some bike owners who were not nabbed by the police could inform their insurer the bike was stolen and report the theft to the confiscating police. No doubt, some bikes taken were not registered in the rider's name.