Met Police Officer Dismissed Over Abusive Online Posts

Social Media

image.png

A Metropolitan Police officer has been dismissed without notice after a disciplinary panel found she had posted offensive comments online targeting Jewish and non-Muslim people. Ruby Begum, 29, faced a police misconduct hearing where she admitted to using terms like “dirty Zionists” while serving as a special constable. Despite Begum's admission of using such language, she denied that her actions constituted gross misconduct.

Begum admitted to using the term “kuffar” to describe non-Muslims and acknowledged making offensive remarks related to the September 11 terror attacks. After reviewing her case, the Met's misconduct panel concluded that her actions did indeed amount to gross misconduct, citing that Begum had violated standards of professional behavior related to equality and diversity. The panel was informed that she posted around 25,000 tweets on her account, dating from 2013 to 2019.

The hearing revealed that Begum’s Twitter posts included derogatory comments about Jewish people, such as “Dirty Zionists. Hell is waiting” and “Zionists have no heart.” When asked to explain these posts, Begum stated that her comments were intended to criticize the Israeli government in relation to Palestinian casualties, not to offend Jewish individuals. She argued, “If I was describing Jewish people, I would just say Jewish people. I have nothing against Jewish people. I have no hate towards that group.”

Begum also explained her posts on the September 11 attacks, asserting that her remarks were a reaction to the Islamophobic abuse that emerged after the attacks rather than an attempt to disrespect those who had died. During the hearing, Begum argued that her actions were a case of simple misconduct, suggesting that a final warning would be an appropriate outcome.

Reflecting on her posts, Begum described her past behavior as “silly” and immature, attributing it to her younger self nearly a decade ago. She told the panel, “I was silly. It was almost 10 years ago and I’ve developed a lot through the police. It looks bad on paper, and I can see how immature I was … I made a mistake which I’m sorry for.” She shared that she had been raised in a Muslim household in East London and admitted that her “narrow-minded” perspective at the time was shaped by her upbringing in a “bubble.”

However, the panel viewed her posts as “appalling,” “derogatory,” and “abusive.” The panel also dismissed Begum’s claims of immaturity, emphasizing that she was an adult and an active member of the police force at the time. Additionally, it noted that Begum had participated in two rounds of equality and diversity training, first in 2014 when she became a special constable and again in 2016 after becoming a full-time constable.

Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove from the Met expressed his stance on the case, stating, “There is absolutely no place within the Met for anyone with racist or otherwise hateful attitudes.” He added, “We are working hard to build a culture where anyone can feel welcome and thrive. Those who undermine these goals have no place in the organization. They are not suitable to serve Londoners and will feel the consequences.”

As a result of the hearing, Begum has been added to the barred list maintained by the College of Policing, preventing her from rejoining the police force in the future.

Based on a report from the BBC 2024-10-26

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

A Metropolitan Police officer has been dismissed without notice after a disciplinary panel found she had posted offensive comments online targeting Jewish and non-Muslim people. Ruby Begum, 29, faced a police misconduct hearing where she admitted to using terms like “dirty Zionists” while serving as a special constable. Despite Begum's admission of using such language, she denied that her actions constituted gross misconduct.

Begum admitted to using the term “kuffar” to describe non-Muslims and acknowledged making offensive remarks related to the September 11 terror attacks. After reviewing her case, the Met's misconduct panel concluded that her actions did indeed amount to gross misconduct, citing that Begum had violated standards of professional behavior related to equality and diversity. The panel was informed that she posted around 25,000 tweets on her account, dating from 2013 to 2019.

The hearing revealed that Begum’s Twitter posts included derogatory comments about Jewish people, such as “Dirty Zionists. Hell is waiting” and “Zionists have no heart.” When asked to explain these posts, Begum stated that her comments were intended to criticize the Israeli government in relation to Palestinian casualties, not to offend Jewish individuals. She argued, “If I was describing Jewish people, I would just say Jewish people. I have nothing against Jewish people. I have no hate towards that group.”

Begum also explained her posts on the September 11 attacks, asserting that her remarks were a reaction to the Islamophobic abuse that emerged after the attacks rather than an attempt to disrespect those who had died. During the hearing, Begum argued that her actions were a case of simple misconduct, suggesting that a final warning would be an appropriate outcome.

Reflecting on her posts, Begum described her past behavior as “silly” and immature, attributing it to her younger self nearly a decade ago. She told the panel, “I was silly. It was almost 10 years ago and I’ve developed a lot through the police. It looks bad on paper, and I can see how immature I was … I made a mistake which I’m sorry for.” She shared that she had been raised in a Muslim household in East London and admitted that her “narrow-minded” perspective at the time was shaped by her upbringing in a “bubble.”

However, the panel viewed her posts as “appalling,” “derogatory,” and “abusive.” The panel also dismissed Begum’s claims of immaturity, emphasizing that she was an adult and an active member of the police force at the time. Additionally, it noted that Begum had participated in two rounds of equality and diversity training, first in 2014 when she became a special constable and again in 2016 after becoming a full-time constable.

Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove from the Met expressed his stance on the case, stating, “There is absolutely no place within the Met for anyone with racist or otherwise hateful attitudes.” He added, “We are working hard to build a culture where anyone can feel welcome and thrive. Those who undermine these goals have no place in the organization. They are not suitable to serve Londoners and will feel the consequences.”

As a result of the hearing, Begum has been added to the barred list maintained by the College of Policing, preventing her from rejoining the police force in the future.

Based on a report from the BBC 2024-10-26

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

Racism at it's best.

Good to demiss her.

• Agree 2

Pity then that the Met is better at firing people for nasty posts than stopping crime.

I never felt safe in London and never a cop to be seen on the beat. Only time I saw cops was after a terrorist incident when they were standing around in the Tube station with guns pretending to look tough.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, john donson said:

sometimes I really which a zombie apocalypse would become reality

all that woke s.hit and snowflakes...

I don't want a zombie apocalypse!   I don't have enough bullets for that!  

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

And that is exactly why Islam should be classed as a cult and banned in europe

Cancel culture eh.

if you are going to cancel them, cancel Christianity and Judaism also. They are all nonsense.

UK has lost it. People have to like Jewish people now???? The fresh hate stems from killing all the women and children in Gaza. 
But everyone is supposed to support the Jews and saying nice things about them?

It would be like the whole world supporting Hitler in the 1940s.

I had no opinion on them a year ago, but the slaughter has made me take a much closer look and I will say it, I don’t like them.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Cancel culture eh.

if you are going to cancel them, cancel Christianity and Judaism also. They are all nonsense.

UK has lost it. People have to like Jewish people now???? The fresh hate stems from killing all the women and children in Gaza. 

I had no opinion on them a year ago, but the slaughter has made me take a much closer look and I will say it, I don’t like them.

This is about a  Muslim Police woman posting abuse online in the UK, this isn't about Israel or Hitler .

You do not have to like Jews in the UK or say nice things about them .

You can hate Jews if you want . no one is stopping you from doing that 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MalcolmB said:

As long as I am not a MET officer.

Yes, the UK Police have standards and I doubt very much that they would even employ you , even with their recent lowering of standards .

More likely that you would be on the other side of the Police 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Yes, the UK Police have standards and I doubt very much that they would even employ you , even with their recent lowering of standards .

More likely that you would be on the other side of the Police 

I wouldn’t work for them.

I don’t like snitches and the pay is too low. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pity then that the Met is better at firing people for nasty posts than stopping crime.

I never felt safe in London and never a cop to be seen on the beat. Only time I saw cops was after a terrorist incident when they were standing around in the Tube station with guns pretending to look tough.

Oh dear, you didn't feel safe................😪

Are there many towns with cops walking the streets on the beat....?

Did the guns frighten you........?  :w00t:................🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

People have to like Jewish people now????

The fresh hate stems from killing all the women and children in Gaza. 

Yep - u have to love jews or "uR a aNtiSEmiTist"

Honestly can't tell if it's psychopathy or Stockholm Syndrome.

But as you say, the cats out the bag now and the censors are well & truly F'd.

FWIW, they need and therefore encourage the hate as it solidifies group identity. JewISHness is a weird one - it';s supposaedly ethnic but you can also convert to it 🤔

Sounds like NONsense to you too?

Yep.

As to the OP, import the 3rd world & their ancient squabbles.....

Edited by BruceWayne
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/26/2024 at 2:28 PM, Theforgotten1 said:

Deport her back to where her parents came from

Walthamstow?

Whilst I jest, it is an uncomfortable fact that many of these people are second or third generation "in the UK" yet resolutely cling to their roots, and the mindsets, and religious and political guidance from these "mother countries".

Edited by herfiehandbag