Used Car Dealer

morphy

I think you will find they're all the same, and not one particular dealer is better than any other; it depends fully on the car and you assessing it. (or get someone to check it). Sure, someone may have a great experience with a particular dealer, but it would be just chance if that dealer has a truck you're looking for in the price range you're looking for.

In your position I would go check out any major road out of town, say the Hang Dong road has dealers with mostly pick-ups all the way to Sanpatong. It may be similar for the Doi Saket or Mae Rim road.

Also, pick up some of the used-car magazines with little thumbnail pictures of cars. This will give you a good idea on (starting) price for any particular model/year.

Edited by Sanpatong

OK thanks for the advice.

I think you will find they're all the same, and not one particular dealer is better than any other; it depends fully on the car and you assessing it. (or get someone to check it). Sure, someone may have a great experience with a particular dealer, but it would be just chance if that dealer has a truck you're looking for in the price range you're looking for.

In your position I would go check out any major road out of town, say the Hang Dong road has dealers with mostly pick-ups all the way to Sanpatong. It may be similar for the Doi Saket or Mae Rim road.

Also, pick up some of the used-car magazines with little thumbnail pictures of cars. This will give you a good idea on (starting) price for any particular model/year.

FYI - i am also in the market for a mid-range pickup and have noticed while looking the past few weeks that they seem to be a 10-15% cheaper in Bangkok (this is also confirmed by dealers i have spoken to here in Chiang Mai)... if you have the time, that might be an option.

It would seem that with all cars they are cheaper in BK than CM, new or used in my experience.

But if I were you I would wait till September 8th before buying a used car or ruck, thats when the new law comes in where dealers have to disclose the vehciles history and verify the mileage.

It would seem that with all cars they are cheaper in BK than CM, new or used in my experience.

But if I were you I would wait till September 8th before buying a used car or ruck, thats when the new law comes in where dealers have to disclose the vehciles history and verify the mileage.

I would not disagree with waiting until Sept. 8, but would not plan on getting this info from a used car dealer as it will be next to impossible to verify, unless...... you can get name and contact number of previous owner and speak to him or her. The dearlers are forewarned so they have time to get their ducks in a row on meeting the legal requirements. I always wonder what flood so many of the Thai vehicles have gone thru as the used cars and trucks are moved all over the country for resale. This used to be appearant looking at tag on vehicles here in Chiang Mai

I would not disagree with waiting until Sept. 8, but would not plan on getting this info from a used car dealer as it will be next to impossible to verify, unless...... you can get name and contact number of previous owner and speak to him or her. The dearlers are forewarned so they have time to get their ducks in a row on meeting the legal requirements. I always wonder what flood so many of the Thai vehicles have gone thru as the used cars and trucks are moved all over the country for resale. This used to be appearant looking at tag on vehicles here in Chiang Mai

I have visited a used car dealer in Chiang Mai but once. As I was walking on to the lot I noticed they had the dashboard out of a late model Toyota pickup and were manually rolling back the odometer. My appearance didn't seem to phase them one way or the other as they carried on with the task at hand.

I have visited a used car dealer in Chiang Mai but once. As I was walking on to the lot I noticed they had the dashboard out of a late model Toyota pickup and were manually rolling back the odometer. My appearance didn't seem to phase them one way or the other as they carried on with the task at hand.

I have seen evidence of this too. :o

Whilst strolling a CM car lot I saw a BMW with 25k on the clock and a worn leather drivers seat. absolute giveaway,had to have done over 100k at least

I take issue with the poster who says its not worth waiting till September 8th... you will have more recourse if you have problems with the vehicle than before that date and the Police are keen to enforce this ruling from what I have read.. It s a 5,000 baht fine for not displaying the vehicles details the wording must not be less than 5 cms high per word (I think) :D

Also you DO NOT have to re-register a car in CM if it came from BK....I brought my car from BK 3 years ago ...no problems with tax insurance or anything. ...I have NEVER been stopped for anything in CM.

It is only a problem if you buy NEW from BK with a red plate,,,then the vehicle must not be on the road anywhere else than in BK after dark.....a crazy law but there you are. :D

TP

thanks everyone for the advice I'm back home in jersey at the moment returning beginning of September so I'll wait until after the 8th before buying.

You dont have to change the plates... makes no difference. Car can also be registered anywhere i believe.

ThaiPauly - great tip, cheers. I didnt know that law was coming in; that WILL be useful. Cheers.