Fuel Consumption

hi to all ,

( sorry if my spelling of topic is wrong )

can any 1 tell me how many km per lt . i should get from my pick up , its a nissan navana 4 door , only just done 2000km , i only drive on express way from home to udon , at about 100km / hour . i,m getting just about 18km/per lt.

thanks for any info ....martyn.

hi to all ,

can any 1 tell me how many km per lt . i should get from my pick up , its a nissan navana 4 door , only just done 2000km , i only drive on express way from home to udon , at about 100km / hour . i,m getting just about 18km/per lt.

Sounds good to me, my Fortuner will give me 12.8 km/ltr on a run, but when I drive like a lunatic, I have been down to 10.8 km/ltr.

Wish I could get 18Kms/ltr!

Edited by Creeper

hi to all ,

That doesn't sound right... Should be about 13-15 km per liter. Better have that checked out while still under warranty. :o

hi to all ,

Sounds good to me, my Fortuner will give me 12.8 km/ltr on a run, but when I drive like a lunatic, I have been down to 10.8 km/ltr.

Wish I could get 18Kms/ltr!

Theres another Fortuner Driver who drives like a lunatic, why is this? what is it with this car that makes people drive like lunatics?

Theres another Fortuner Driver who drives like a lunatic, why is this? what is it with this car that makes people drive like lunatics?

Nothing to do with the Fortuner, when I had a 735i BMW in UK I would go flat out on the Motorway, pre speed camera days.

I had a race with a Renault 5 GT Turbo on the Motorway too, I was flashing him to get out of my way doing 120 MPH

I drove it in France on the Auroroute and had a race with a Belgian guy in a Mercedes, we was flying and I was going as fast as that car could go, and that car could go well! I crept past him eventually. :o

I know, I am gonna get slated for this by all the nancy boy do gooder law abiding Honda wave riding members here, but hey, I was young, remember that do you ?

Edited by Creeper

Nothing to do with the Fortuner, when I had a 735i BMW in UK I would go flat out on the Motorway, pre speed camera days.

I had a race with a Renault 5 GT Turbo on the Motorway too, I was flashing him to get out of my way doing 120 MPH

I drove it in France on the Auroroute and had a race with a Belgian guy in a Mercedes, we was flying and I was going as fast as that car could go, and that car could go well! I crept past him eventually. :o

I know, I am gonna get slated for this by all the nancy boy do gooder law abiding Honda wave riding members here, but hey, I was young, remember that do you ?

Congratulations!

50mpg is impossible in a truck.

should be somewhere between 10 and 14kms / litre..... or about 26 to 34 mpg.

I've had my 2007 Ranger 4x4 up to average 39MPG over a tank without really trying, so it MAY be possible to approach 50MPG if you are VERY economical with the right foot.

Low 30s is normal, mainly belting down the expressway and then sitting in the BKK traffic.

American gallons only contain 3.8 liters each, so there's a difference in understanding.

You guys that have computers linked to the fuel injection system and the odometer have an automatic 'mileage' indicator. I don't, and my Nissan NV with carburetor doesn't seem to get 10 km per liter. But it's a gasoline engine, I drive it hard through the gears at high rpm, and I'm not sure I'm measuring it correctly.

My CBR150R consistently gets 30 km per liter, and I drive it harder than you drive your cars.

In am aware some folks attempt to calculate usage by putting in x liters & then running until the guage is about back where it was before. MAny try to do this but it wont give anything like of an accurate reading.

The tank must be filled to the brim, note or 00000 the mileage, then next time fill to the brim again, note the kms & litres used. That's the ONLY way to get a realistic figure.

In am aware some folks attempt to calculate usage by putting in x liters & then running until the guage is about back where it was before. Many try to do this but it wont give anything like of an accurate reading.

The tank must be filled to the brim, note or 00000 the mileage, then next time fill to the brim again, note the kms & litres used. That's the ONLY way to get a realistic figure.

Correct! Would everybody who doesn't have an electronic fuel consumption guage in their dashboard please read the above. Otherwise, you may as well just guess, "My car gets between 14 and 23 km per liter."

In am aware some folks attempt to calculate usage by putting in x liters & then running until the guage is about back where it was before. MAny try to do this but it wont give anything like of an accurate reading.

Yep, it's the only reasonably accurate way although there is no reason why you have to fill up at every stop, just record the amount you put in and DON'T RESET the trip meter until you get a full tank. Then just add all the intermediate amounts to the amount required to top off the tank. Actually should give a better average as the errors in filling to the exact brim will be averaged over a longer period.

50mpg is impossible in a truck.

should be somewhere between 10 and 14kms / litre..... or about 26 to 34 mpg.

Every now and then someone will get numbers way beyond these.

Theoretically it's possible. It's also possible if one tries very hard and follows several rules - stay in the highest gear at lowest rpm, never touch the brakes, overinflate tires, shut down airconditioning, shut down the engine while going downhill etc.

My 2004 3.0 liter Nissan diesel pickup easily gets 15 kilometers to a liter on the highway. In contrast my 2007 Ford Focus 1.8 liter gasoline gets 13 kilometers per liter. As far as local driving, the diesel doesn't drop very much, not more than 2 kilometers per liter but the gasoline engine will drop to about 9 kilometers per liter. To get an accurate figure, you need to zero out the trip odometer, make the trip and total the amount of liters from all the fill ups and divide that total into the kilometers traveled. Hopefully one of the car makers will eventually offer a diesel engine option. Amazingly enough, the car's computer is quite accurate as far as fuel usage.

My 2004 3.0 liter Nissan diesel pickup easily gets 15 kilometers to a liter on the highway. In contrast my 2007 Ford Focus 1.8 liter gasoline gets 13 kilometers per liter. As far as local driving, the diesel doesn't drop very much, not more than 2 kilometers per liter but the gasoline engine will drop to about 9 kilometers per liter. To get an accurate figure, you need to zero out the trip odometer, make the trip and total the amount of liters from all the fill ups and divide that total into the kilometers traveled. Hopefully one of the car makers will eventually offer a diesel engine option. Amazingly enough, the car's computer is quite accurate as far as fuel usage.

hi again,

maybee my maths is like my spelling WAY OFF !!! i got to about 18km /LT by buying 39 lt diesel at 26bt per lt (1000bt) 39 lt got me 565km i filled when the red fuel light came on i dont know how acurate that is but as i said before its all expressway driving ....

this sunday on the same run from UDON to NONG KHAI the traffic police pulled us up saying we were doing 120+ :o as we were only going about 95km /p/h still checking the fuel comsumption it took a few choice words from the wife before they let us go ..... :D no tea money to pay ...

hi again,

maybee my maths is like my spelling WAY OFF !!! i got to about 18km /LT by buying 39 lt diesel at 26bt per lt (1000bt) 39 lt got me 565km i filled when the red fuel light came on i dont know how acurate that is but as i said before its all expressway driving ....

this sunday on the same run from UDON to NONG KHAI the traffic police pulled us up saying we were doing 120+ :o as we were only going about 95km /p/h still checking the fuel comsumption it took a few choice words from the wife before they let us go ..... :D no tea money to pay ...

Using the light really is not the best way, the light is variable as the when it comes on. Going full to full is the only really accurate way to check your consumption.

hi again,

When I put into my calculator the numbers mentioned above I get the result 14.49 kilometers per liter, and that seems reasonable.

North :D

[Amazingly enough, the car's computer is quite accurate as far as fuel usage.

Bought a 'Fortuner' 3 litre diesel some 3 months ago and have been doing the fuel comsumption figures tank full to tank full and found that the car's computer was very accurate. I'm getting about 9km/l at the moment on short runs ( less than 12kms) and suppose that it will improve as the engine settles in and would expect to get 12/13km per L on a decent run in the future - don't know if that is about the right figure - and NO I'm not a heavy footed driver, far from it!

Bought a 'Fortuner' 3 litre diesel some 3 months ago and have been doing the fuel comsumption figures tank full to tank full and found that the car's computer was very accurate. I'm getting about 9km/l at the moment on short runs ( less than 12kms) and suppose that it will improve as the engine settles in and would expect to get 12/13km per L on a decent run in the future - don't know if that is about the right figure - and NO I'm not a heavy footed driver, far from it!

hi cheshire, ( by the way i,m from congleton ,cheshire )

my nissan is a navara 2.5 diesel 4 door ,only 2 wheel drive , in the book it says 144 BHP. i bought it 3 months ago 1st June .i payed 649,000bt cash with the extras added plus insurance, at the time i did,nt know you could get a 3.0lt nissan in thailand . all the other makes seem to be coming down to 2.5lt also on diesels ....

my nissan is a navara 2.5 diesel 4 door ,only 2 wheel drive , in the book it says 144 BHP. i bought it 3 months ago 1st June .i payed 649,000bt cash with the extras added plus insurance, at the time i did,nt know you could get a 3.0lt nissan in thailand . all the other makes seem to be coming down to 2.5lt also on diesels ....

I WAS a Nissan fan but since they made the truck bigger and the engine smaller, I won't buy another one. They have that little 2.5 liter hopped up so they can say it is the most powerful pickup in Thailand. I would guess engine life will be shorter and fuel economy will suffer. I'll be keeping my 3.0 liter non turbo 2004 for a long time. It's a great dependable truck. I expect it will run forever.

Hi martynsnowman, glad to hook-up with someone from Cheshire - we used to live in Sale, so I suppose strictly speaking we were really not in C but post office told us that it was classified as C.

Your Navara sounds like a good buy at the price you quoted and I trust that it will give you good service. We had an Isuzu 2 door pickup on hire for some 3 months prior to deciding to buy the Fortuner. The Isuzu was 2.5l and I thought that it was a cracking engine with good fuel consumption. The biggest factor in the end came down to what we would feel happy with overall and we had some very bad floods on the road to our house which tipped the balance. We don't need 4 wheel drive and don't have any intentions of doing off road stuff, but heck that is what you get,permanent 4 wheel drive and we are very happy with the vehicle. Just had a look at the manual and as far as I can tell the 1KD-FTV engine 2982cc is rated at 182 HP, so more than enough power for us. I've heard of people getting these diesels re-chipped to up the HP to about 210HP - but don't know how heavier a burden that would put on the fuel consumption. Used to have a 540i Schnitzered BMW back in the UK so got used to going for a bank loan when I needed to fill up! so it's nice to be able to fill the tank for 1550B over here.

Happy motoring.

In am aware some folks attempt to calculate usage by putting in x liters & then running until the guage is about back where it was before. Many try to do this but it wont give anything like of an accurate reading.

Correct! Would everybody who doesn't have an electronic fuel consumption guage in their dashboard please read the above. Otherwise, you may as well just guess, "My car gets between 14 and 23 km per liter."

fuel consumption gauges in the dash are way off ,shows say 100 km left, drive 10 km more and shows 97 km left.....

Oh, but that's the estimate of how far you can drive if you maintain the same speed and gear. Pretty much like battery power on notebooks. When the hard disk and CPU are in heavy use it says 70% - 1 hour left. Two minutes later when everything settles down it reads 69% - 2 hours 19 minutes left.