Tourist Visa Extension Troubles

So your home country will allow a Thai national to live there on tourist visa just because they want to? I know for a fact the US would not. If your country starts allowing it I suspect Thailand will do the same - just as was the case with New Zealand and is the case with several other countries. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a little. Perhaps we should be talking with our home country?

Better to compare Thailand visa policies regarding long term tourists to Mexico, Peru, Argentina, and the Philippines than to the US and New Zealand. Thailand is not a first world country!

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to get back on topic can anyone shed anymore light on the TV extension, are we only going to receive a 7 day extension? Anyone else got any experiences in recent days/weeks? I'm sure this affects more than a few people and I for one am sure I could spend the 1900bt on something a little better value ( a flight to Penang, maybe)

Regards a worried tourist!

So your home country will allow a Thai national to live there on tourist visa just because they want to? I know for a fact the US would not. If your country starts allowing it I suspect Thailand will do the same - just as was the case with New Zealand and is the case with several other countries. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a little. Perhaps we should be talking with our home country?

For the US.

if a foreigner can prove financial self sustainability and unlikely to work illegally then they would get a 10 year visa and they would have to leave(stamp out) of the US every year and can re enter via of mexico or canada etc. . It's just a long process to get acceptance because so many people are applying to get in.

The green card(work permit) is the more difficult animal unless the applicant has a company sponsor or can prove a wanted skill per H1B.

New Zealand, Canada, Costa Rica and a few others will allow immigration if the applicant is willing to deposit significant sums in a bank. Costa Rica I think is $USD 60K for Rentista status and Canada and NZ are in the high $USD X00,000's

Lets put it this way - people extend tourist visa in large numbers every day and the only report of a 7 day extension is OP. Will there be a selective process to do so in other cases? Don't believe anyone can answer that. Are 30 day extensions no longer possible? Believe the fact we have only one report indicates that is not the case.

I was at the immigration office in Bangkok last week and while I was sitting and waiting I saw a hand written sign by the window that usually handles tourist visa extensions. It read, "Only 7 day extensions for all visas".
Lets put it this way - people extend tourist visa in large numbers every day and the only report of a 7 day extension is OP. Will there be a selective process to do so in other cases? Don't believe anyone can answer that. Are 30 day extensions no longer possible? Believe the fact we have only one report indicates that is not the case.

Indeed we need more confirmation, but the above post (taken at face value and assumed to be true) would seem to indicate that it may be a growing trend, particularly if it's being done at an office doing the volume that BKK does.

In that effort to encourage and solicit as much reporting as possible from members, perhaps we can hold off on overly judgmental posts such as duponts that only serve to discourage posting of this information from new members and old members alike.

Edited by sriracha john

Well said gentleman. The very reason I made the post in the first place was to pre-warn others of my experience plus wishing to find out if this to be the norm from now.

Maybe the officer concerned had a little to much rice wine the night before, maybe my Thai Immigration Suck's! T-shirt was not appropriate attire for the day or is this now a matter of policy, I just don't know but I would surely like to.

So any one extending their TV, whatever the outcome a report would be much appreciated.

Short term visas are for short term stays

If they are used back to back, although it is not 'illegal' it is contrary to the spirit of the purposeof the visa

If you do not fit any categories of longer stay visas Thailnad offers, you need to take the risks of not being allowed to stay.

Wishing for other trypes of visas to fit your situation is natural but you knew the situation and took the risk of using back to back short term visas.

All visas and extensions are at the discretion of the authorities.

Thank to the OP for pointing out wha seems to be an exception to the usual 30 days extension on a tourist visa

If they are used back to back, although it is not 'illegal' it is contrary to the spirit of the purposeof the visa

If you do not fit any categories of longer stay visas Thailnad offers, you need to take the risks of not being allowed to stay.

Wishing for other trypes of visas to fit your situation is natural but you knew the situation and took the risk of using back to back short term visas.

Thank to the OP for pointing out wha seems to be an exception to the usual 30 days extension on a tourist visa

Actually I take issue with your assertion that using tourist visas over and over again is "is contrary to the spirit of the purposeof the visa" No, it is not. Each tourist visa entry is for 60 days. Each entry stands on its own. Show me the written policy from Thai immigration that "the spirit of the purpose of the tourist visa" is to not get them over and over again, if you wish to visit Thailand as a tourist over and over again. I doubt you can find it because I doubt it exists. So, are you reading their minds then?

Edited by Jingthing

Of course not. They have to go through heaps of trouble to even get one. The stories of rejected tourist visas for Thais (or other nationalities for that matter) are numerous. Most common reason is the fear that they don't return to their home country. In Schengen it's very simple, you can stay for 90 days, and then you have to leave the country for at least 90 days before you can come back on a tourist visa. (or any other visa). No exempt stamps, no tourist visas, stay away for at least 90 days that's the message.

Getting a provisional visa is a lot of hassle as in my home country (the Netherlands) you have to pass an exam, even to be able to apply for one, of course if you get the provisional visa, then all of a sudden the Netherlands becomes very easy to remain there for years to come, you can work, own land etc.

I have a partner from Laos, who is due to come on the third tourist visa, and each time it is a waiting game of at least 90 days. I hope next time, he will be able to pass the exam and apply for the provisional visa. He is doing rather well on the language part (which is of course the main topic of the exam).

Anyway, in that respect Thailand is indeed very easy, as it is still allowing people to remain here year round, on tourist visas or a combination of exempt stamps and tourist visas.

I don't think they will limit the extension of tourist visa with 7 days only by the way. Remember the countries not on the 38 country list for 60 days tourist visas, they are allowed to extend their tourist visa twice, to get the full 90 days. And indeed also the normal 60 days tourist visa can be extended to 90 days.

But of course it's up to the individual immigration officer, I guess OP just got unlucky.

The green card(work permit) is the more difficult animal unless the applicant has a company sponsor or can prove a wanted skill per H1B.

Oh i,m sorry. I thought the Green Card was for the right to reside in the USA along with all the rights of being able to work...pay taxes etc.

The Green Card in itself is not solely a WORK PERMIT.

Neither do you need a COMPANY sponsor. Mine was issued on the basis of marriage to a USA citizen.

And NO......the USA will not allow you to stay in the country on a permanent TOURIST visa..............so why should Thailand?

Edited by stevemiddie

Actually I take issue with your assertion that using tourist visas over and over again is "is contrary to the spirit of the purposeof the visa" No, it is not. Each tourist visa entry is for 60 days. Each entry stands on its own. Show me the written policy from Thai immigration that "the spirit of the purpose of the tourist visa" is to not get them over and over again, if you wish to visit Thailand as a tourist over and over again. I doubt you can find it because I doubt it exists. So, are you reading their minds then?

Yes I think that if the spirit was to allow a tourist to remain 'long' term the 1 year tourist visa would exist and would be renewable in Thailand as all other long term visas.

Of course not. They have to go through heaps of trouble to even get one. The stories of rejected tourist visas for Thais (or other nationalities for that matter) are numerous. Most common reason is the fear that they don't return to their home country. In Schengen it's very simple, you can stay for 90 days, and then you have to leave the country for at least 90 days before you can come back on a tourist visa. (or any other visa). No exempt stamps, no tourist visas, stay away for at least 90 days that's the message.

Getting a provisional visa is a lot of hassle as in my home country (the Netherlands) you have to pass an exam, even to be able to apply for one, of course if you get the provisional visa, then all of a sudden the Netherlands becomes very easy to remain there for years to come, you can work, own land etc.

I have a partner from Laos, who is due to come on the third tourist visa, and each time it is a waiting game of at least 90 days. I hope next time, he will be able to pass the exam and apply for the provisional visa. He is doing rather well on the language part (which is of course the main topic of the exam).

Anyway, in that respect Thailand is indeed very easy, as it is still allowing people to remain here year round, on tourist visas or a combination of exempt stamps and tourist visas.

I don't think they will limit the extension of tourist visa with 7 days only by the way. Remember the countries not on the 38 country list for 60 days tourist visas, they are allowed to extend their tourist visa twice, to get the full 90 days. And indeed also the normal 60 days tourist visa can be extended to 90 days.

But of course it's up to the individual immigration officer, I guess OP just got unlucky.

That is if you get 90 days which is not in my experience given at least to first time applications. My Thai partner got the exact number of days as per his air ticket reservation not 1 day more .....It seems however that he could apply for a new visa quickly as he has not stayed in Shchengen for the full 90 days.

I am sorry but I fail to understand that a visa is issued in any form of spirit. It is either issued or it is not!

The simple and only fact is that people staying long term on TV's are abiding by the immigration rules set by the goverment of Thailand.

Should those rules change then I would abide by them also or return home, as I am sure the vast majority would.

Well I must be off, gotta go Ventiane 3 fxxxxxx weeks early :o:D

I am sorry but I fail to understand that a visa is issued in any form of spirit. It is either issued or it is not!

The simple and only fact is that people staying long term on TV's are abiding by the immigration rules set by the goverment of Thailand.

Should those rules change then I would abide by them also or return home, as I am sure the vast majority would.

Well I must be off, gotta go Ventiane 3 fxxxxxx weeks early :o:D

I agree that you abide by the rules.

My point regarding the spirit of the TV was in relation to the fact that they only allowed you a 7 days instead of the uaual 30 days.

They also followed the law of their land

Have a safe trip to Laos

I was at the immigration office in Bangkok last week and while I was sitting and waiting I saw a hand written sign by the window that usually handles tourist visa extensions. It read, "Only 7 day extensions for all visas".

So this may mean that they may be changing the policy or enforcing a policy that was previously unenforced.

I was at the Immigration office in Bangkok TODAY and I too saw a sign (paper) saying "Only 7 day extensions for all visas" on counter 5. However counter 5 is clearly marked "Transit visa , Visa on arrival , no visa (AKA visa exemption).

There was NO such sign on counter 2 (extension of tourist visa).

Now I remember a time when you could get 14 days on a 30 day VE entry and presumably this is no more and that is what they are referring to.

:o

So this may mean that they may be changing the policy or enforcing a policy that was previously unenforced.

I was at the Immigration office in Bangkok TODAY and I too saw a sign (paper) saying "Only 7 day extensions for all visas" on counter 5. However counter 5 is clearly marked "Transit visa , Visa on arrival , no visa (AKA visa exemption).

Now I remember a time when you could get 14 days on a 30 day VE entry and presumably this is no more and that is what they are referring to.

:o

It's just a thought but could the OP's problem have been due to this "7 day extension" being wrongly applied to his tourist visa?

Could it be that the man at the immigration office was new to the job and just hadn't got to grip with any training given..if given at all!

I know its a simple answer to the problem buts it's certainly plausable ...another prime example are the bank staff in Thailand where nobody seems to have a clear understanding of the rules to opening foreign accounts etc.

And to anybody who says.."no way...nobody could be that stupid" all I would say is that you have not led the life I have led...I see clueless idiots all the time in both public and private jobs...and that's here in the UK!

has anyone yet been limited to less than the expected 30 day extention on a 60 day tourist visa at bangkok immigration???

if yes, details please

thank you kindly

I'm not sure if this is useful feedback or not, but I went to the immigration department in Bangkok today and did not sense any change in the air. Was given a 30 day extension on my tourist visa in a very efficient and routine fashion.

So any one extending their TV, whatever the outcome a report would be much appreciated.

As I posted, I renewed my TOURIST VISA just this past monday and received a 30-day extension. This was at the office in Jomtien, Pattaya. Farangsay sounds like he has got it right...trouble with so many tourists is that they don't know what travel document/stamp they actually have so don't know how to ask the proper question :o

Edited by jonniebkk

The only way he can tell a rich farang from a non-rich one is by the person's appearance and the amount of jewelry he's wearing and possibly by the woman on his arm. Without being acquainted with the farang, they have no real way to gauge whether the guy's a big spender or a trafficker or someone doing a lot of helpful volunteer work within Thailand, ....or what.

I believe it's a good idea to always dress well when visiting an immigration office. In Jomtien I'm often surprised to see how casually (tank top and flip-flops) a lot of foreigners dress when visiting there.

The only way he can tell a rich farang from a non-rich one is by the person's appearance and the amount of jewelry he's wearing and possibly by the woman on his arm. Without being acquainted with the farang, they have no real way to gauge whether the guy's a big spender or a trafficker or someone doing a lot of helpful volunteer work within Thailand, ....or what.

I believe it's a good idea to always dress well when visiting an immigration office. In Jomtien I'm often surprised to see how casually (tank top and flip-flops) a lot of foreigners dress when visiting there.

I also use Jomtien. I would never wear shorts, tank tops, t shirts, or open sandals there, but considering this is a beach resort, isn't dressing up in a three piece suit kind of pushing it? I am a newer expat but don't recall any applicants in suits and don't even recall seeing many men wearing ties. It just feels silly getting dressed up like that at a beach resort for any reason. In Jomtien, might you not even stand out and look suspicious being overly dressed up?

Edited by Jingthing

I also use Jomtien. I would never wear shorts, tank tops, t shirts, or open sandals there, but considering this is a beach resort, isn't dressing up in a three piece suit kind of pushing it? I am a newer expat but don't recall any applicants in suits and don't even recall seeing many men wearing ties. It just feels silly getting dressed up like that at a beach resort for any reason. In Jomtien, might you not even stand out and look suspicious being overly dressed up?

Dressing well does not necessarily mean suit and tie. A buttoned shirt and shoes with dress shorts should suffice...no tie.

I don't even have a tie in Thailand (pardon the pun). :o

Edited by tropo

:D

I have to apologize, I also saw it at counter 5; I didn't realize that tourist visas used a different counter. Sory for the bad info and thanks for setting it straight. Maybe I need to get a new pair of glasses. :o

Just got back from Chiang Mai Immigration took all of 25 mins, have triple entry tourist visa, apply for first 30 day extension. Paid 1900 baht, stamped for 30 days, asked if can get another 30 days after 60 days done, told no problem!!

Quoting Krub

...Short term visas are for short term stays

If they are used back to back, although it is not 'illegal' it is contrary to the spirit of the purpose of the visa

[\quote]

The important point is that immigration officers' decisions often seem to be based on whether or not one's actions are contrary to the spirit of the purpose of the visa, and not based on the letter of the law. So I would certainly agree with Krub that by staying in Thailand on short-term, back-to-back tourist visa, you are breaking the spirit of the law and can possibly expect problems with future renewals.

That being said, the OP asked what visa he could use to remain in Thailand, since he is under 50, not working etc etc. The plain answer is that unless he is prepared to work, or to attend a university or to become a monk (all which would provide a suitable visa), then there is no suitable visa available and he should make plans to leave the country.

I was in exactly the same position as the OP a few months ago. But I realised that Thailand was not going to change the immigration rules for me, and that if I wished to remain in the country, then I had to change my own 'lifestyle'. I'm now a student at Chulalongkorn University :o (possibly the oldest student that they have....)

Simon

Quoting Krub

...Short term visas are for short term stays

If they are used back to back, although it is not 'illegal' it is contrary to the spirit of the purpose of the visa

[\quote]

The important point is that immigration officers' decisions often seem to be based on whether or not one's actions are contrary to the spirit of the purpose of the visa, and not based on the letter of the law. So I would certainly agree with Krub that by staying in Thailand on short-term, back-to-back tourist visa, you are breaking the spirit of the law and can possibly expect problems with future renewals.

That being said, the OP asked what visa he could use to remain in Thailand, since he is under 50, not working etc etc. The plain answer is that unless he is prepared to work, or to attend a university or to become a monk (all which would provide a suitable visa), then there is no suitable visa available and he should make plans to leave the country.

I was in exactly the same position as the OP a few months ago. But I realised that Thailand was not going to change the immigration rules for me, and that if I wished to remain in the country, then I had to change my own 'lifestyle'. I'm now a student at Chulalongkorn University :o (possibly the oldest student that they have....)

Simon

Simon,

The OP was 'compalining' that he received only a 7 days extension (instead of the usual 30) on his 60 days tourist period of stay after having 'lived' in Thailand for ober 2 years on those short term visas used back to back. My point is that, as much as the OP is within the law technically, the officer was also within the law to only allow him 7 days more. I believe the fact that he was using the short term visas back to back had something to do with the decision to give 7 instead of 30 days. We have seen very few reports of only 7 days extensions on tourist visas.

Correction. The OP has another option. He can continue to leave the country and apply for 60 day tourist visas. Maybe he will get 7 day extensions on them in country, maybe 30, maybe he won't even try for extensions. Based on my reading of the forums for awhile, there are still lots of people living in Thailand using a combination of tourist visas, in country extensions, and 30 day stamps. No reason the OP can't continue to try to do this and probably stay for years. Not much security I admit, but I still think it is folly to imagine things about the "spirit" of the law that are written NOWHERE.

Such a person is NOT a criminal, and not a bad guy, as long as he is able to obtain the necessary visas to stay and does not overstay he is legally in exactly the same position as those who have one year visas. Shorter leash is all.

Time and time again I notice farangs in Thailand internalizing what they imagine are the "moral" precepts of Thai immigration laws. They are just legal permissions to stay, nothing more, nothing less. There are a number of countries in the world today where you can live for years legally with a tourist visa. In none of them, is there anything written that you can or can't do this (obviously based on my limited research). Many more, most actually, where it is absolutely impossible.

At present, Thailand is in a grey area. It is clearly harder to do this than it used to be, but still possible. And for those who stick it out for awhile, who is to say it won't get easier again? And please don't tell people under 50 doing this to get a proper visa. That argument just does not wash for people under 50 who don't wish to work or run a business. Why should they start a business they don't want to start or start a new education program they don't want to start just for a visa? For them, tourist visas, extensions, and 30 day stamps are exactly the proper visas for their situation.

Edited by Jingthing