Pclinuxos 2007

RKASA

I tried out the livecd for PClinuxOS 2007 and found that I liked it. I knew I had to inst it because its way to large for a livecd. I put it on an old drive which is using a IDE adpter to usb cable. I followed the usb install and it works great, boots and runs alot faster from the drive. I started to set up some more things and do some downloading. Using the packages I selected a game and it required two other patchs to go with it. I selected them and it went out to get them. It downloaded one or two parts then said that the others where missing from the server. OK I try other one and same thing happens, but not the same things midssing. again and again nothing can install because half of everything needed is missing from the server. I am going to the forum after they fix my user name again?? starting to get a bit worn down on this one. PClinuxOS forum is working about as well as the package site?? Just ranting about it because I still can't get back into their forum. I may just have to find another distro. Well the other forum just let me back in again, see what I can find.

I tried out the livecd for PClinuxOS 2007 and found that I liked it. I knew I had to inst it because its way to large for a livecd. I put it on an old drive which is using a IDE adpter to usb cable. I followed the usb install and it works great, boots and runs alot faster from the drive. I started to set up some more things and do some downloading. Using the packages I selected a game and it required two other patchs to go with it. I selected them and it went out to get them. It downloaded one or two parts then said that the others where missing from the server. OK I try other one and same thing happens, but not the same things midssing. again and again nothing can install because half of everything needed is missing from the server. I am going to the forum after they fix my user name again?? starting to get a bit worn down on this one. PClinuxOS forum is working about as well as the package site?? Just ranting about it because I still can't get back into their forum. I may just have to find another distro. Well the other forum just let me back in again, see what I can find.

We replaced all our small windows network boxes with this distribution a long time ago and IMHO it is one of the best we have ever seen over the years, now complete with a PClinux2007 SOHO release as well.

Now to your problem.

Open / click on 'synaptic' which I guess is what you have been using for your application updates.

Now click on 'settings' then click on 'repositories'

Now open up (click on the site names) any of the other sites listed, and you should be able to find the lib_files or missing parts of your game the next time you select it to be installed.

a great distro.

Cheers

Edited by youbet

Try Damm Small Linux (DSL), Hurd, or many of the other small compact Linux distros.

damm is not the correct spelling, but phonetically pronounced the same as the banned word.

I have DSL and two other small distro I use. Nimblex and puppy. all livecd's they are small and can run live. I use them in live mode with settings and things going to a fat32 drive. PClinuxOS is 698mb ISO to start and 3g unpacked it needs to be installed to really use it. The live part is just for demo. I am Liking it but have to resolve the package manager as I can't add any programs if most the patch files are missing from Synpactic site it is using.

I think the PClinuxOS is redhat based can I download and install a diff package maniger that would use another site were the files arn't all missing? I can hunt around for the files but hoping to find a site that runs the packages withiout browsing around.

Edited by RKASA

I am Liking it but have to resolve the package manager as I can't add any programs if most the patch files are missing from Synpactic site it is using.

I think the PClinuxOS is redhat based can I download and install a diff package maniger that would use another site were the files arn't all missing? I can hunt around for the files but hoping to find a site that runs the packages withiout browsing around.

The answers to your install problems are above (see 2 message above this one).

PCLinuxOS2007 is based on Mandrake

I am Liking it but have to resolve the package manager as I can't add any programs if most the patch files are missing from Synpactic site it is using.

Yea I was thinking mandrake and typed redhat. I was at the user site and got what your saying seems that list is not auto updated have to reload or it may be looking at older addresses of dep. files. reloading the list is going to re populate the information used by the downloader or at lest thats what I get from it. Will see soon.

Yea I was thinking mandrake and typed redhat. I was at the user site and got what your saying seems that list is not auto updated have to reload or it may be looking at older addresses of dep. files. reloading the list is going to re populate the information used by the downloader or at lest thats what I get from it. Will see soon.

The repository list is only as current as your distribution of PClinuxOS 2007 is, so by adding the other repositories you will always get everything you need.

OK I am up on my PClinuxOC 2007 now and went back into the synaptic. I found the repository setupa and now see what I was doing wornge. I still have this MS click and go bug. So I assumed the reload was something else. I selected the repositories and reloaded. Found alot of stuff. downloading updates now. should make packages work alot better. Thanks everyone.

OK I am up on my PClinuxOC 2007 now and went back into the synaptic. I found the repository setupa and now see what I was doing wornge. I still have this MS click and go bug. So I assumed the reload was something else. I selected the repositories and reloaded. Found alot of stuff. downloading updates now. should make packages work alot better. Thanks everyone.

:o OK that worked real well 6839 listed, 1205 installed,0 broken,0 to install/upgrade,0 to remove

8/30/07 15:56 It took along time, and had to restart after java failed so unmarked them, then saw java interpeter go in during rerun so ran again after that and java went in as well. now all 400+mb downloaded and installed. I have wine,but don't know how to use yet. Still missing help files on some programs will have to track down web site info on them.