Permanent Residence

Hi People

I've just followed the link (top of the Visa and Immigration forum page) to Siam Legal. They seem to indicate that there is a route to Permanent Residence available to retirees. I did not think that this was possible. If it's true then I shall be very interested in applying this year.

Any comments / info, anyone?

DM

Hi People

I've just followed the link (top of the Visa and Immigration forum page) to Siam Legal. They seem to indicate that there is a route to Permanent Residence available to retirees. I did not think that this was possible. If it's true then I shall be very interested in applying this year.

DM

Married Retiree ( Maybe ?) - dont know.....but there is tons of stuff on this. Type in "permanent residen" in the search box on top left of ur screen, should find tons of info.

I don't believe that this is possible. In fact, although PR applications can be made in different criteria, (based on work, humanitarian reasons etc), AFAIK it is only ever granted based on business, (ie you hold a WP and have paid tax etc for several years + other requirements).

If any TV member has obtained PR on the basis of supporting a Thai wife/family. being an academic or expert etc, then I would really like to hear from you :o

Simon

I don't believe that this is possible. In fact, although PR applications can be made in different criteria, (based on work, humanitarian reasons etc), AFAIK it is only ever granted based on business, (ie you hold a WP and have paid tax etc for several years + other requirements).

If any TV member has obtained PR on the basis of supporting a Thai wife/family. being an academic or expert etc, then I would really like to hear from you :o

Simon

a friend got his on the expert category. Dunno the ins and outs of it all, but it was definelty that category.

I know someone who is a professor at a University here who got one for being an academic or expert I am not certain which category. The University wanted to give him 10 year and said that before they could do it he needed to be a resident. He said the University did everything he just needed to sign some papers.

As far as I know he doesn't have a Thai wife and he can't speak a lick of Thai.

I don't know anymore details than this but was told this by the professor in question.

I know that this a bit off topic but I am answering the request for info by simon43. Whats up simon43, I think we are going through the same process right now, on ed but will prob. have to change to O so we can get a work permit so we can get our ducks in arow for residency.

Edited by CWMcMurray

Hi CWMcMurray, I am currently on an ED because I couldn't get a new B visa a few months ago (investor and not working). Couldn't get an O visa because me and wife don't have a salary... So I had to sign up for the MA in Thai Studies at Chula (which is a very interesting course BTW).

Now I have got a letter today from Chula confirming my attendance and so I can extend my ED visa for a further year. But also, the nice guy at the UK embassy agreed today to give me an income verification letter for my overseas income.

So .... it looks like I should be able to renew my existing visa based on marriage/support of Thai wife and verification of overseas income. If that's the case, then I can apply for a WP to work in my hotel and start paying some personal tax (as required for PR applicants...). If all else fails, I'll just extend using my Chula letter and not work for a year :o

Don't you just love jumping through hoops??

Simon

I am finishing up at school and will be working for a Thai company starting next month, right now going through the process of changing my visa and getting a work permit so I can start paying taxes and hope to go for my PR as soon as posible as well.

I hope everything works out and you are able to get things rolling.

It seems like we will be starting our 'residency clocks' at about the same time, so we should be applying for residency at the same as well.

Hi People

DM

Just curious but I have had PR now for 3 years. I was just wondering what happens when I retire (anticipated in 5 years). Do I need to change my PR to a retirement visa? Or is the PR valid so long as I keep registering at the local police station?

Hi People

DM

I asked this very question at immigration in Bangkok on August 24th. The officer replied that there is no category for retirement. The other categories are available to those who qualify.

As she said, based on retirement, you can stay year-by-year.

Hi People

DM

Just curious but I have had PR now for 3 years. I was just wondering what happens when I retire (anticipated in 5 years). Do I need to change my PR to a retirement visa? Or is the PR valid so long as I keep registering at the local police station?

You will want to keep your PR.

If you are not here on a retirement extension of stay you can apply but suspect you would be advised not to do so unless you have extenuating circumstances in other areas to compensate for the normal income/tax payment expectations.

Hi People

DM

For whatever obscure reason this last post is almost certainly a hoax.It is inconceivable that anyone could have successfully gone through the hoopla of the PR process and not be aware that PR is for life.

There is no path towards permanent residence for on extensions based on retirement. One year at a time. Take it or leave it.

((edit))

If i have been on retirement visa for 4 years can I bring 10 million baht and get an investor permanent residence?

There is no longer an investment visa. One year at a time. Take it or leave it like the rest of us.

Oops!!!! left out a part five years in country on a annual visa.

Married to a Thai. But I still use my single visa.

Ok your married and supporting a Thai, but your also retired therefore no tax receipts can you get the PR ?

Hi People

DM

For whatever obscure reason this last post is almost certainly a hoax.It is inconceivable that anyone could have successfully gone through the hoopla of the PR process and not be aware that PR is for life.

Hi People

DM

No it wasn't a hoax. I have just "retired" from one company and started working for another. My non-Thai wife's 2 year non-immigrant visa was cancelled and she got a new 2 year one based on my new work permit. So after I finally retire then what happens to her visa, or will she be subject to the spouse means testing that came into force on September 1st?

Did you read post #16? This is the second time you have asked the same question in this thread.

No lop I did read the post however the answer appeared to be based on me not having the required annual renewals so I thought I would clarify again. To see if the additional information changed anything, so did it?

My answer was based on your not paying tax. You are not likely to be approved. The three years here on extensions of stay only opens the door to application (for those not using retirement as the reason for extension of stay) but does not mean it would stand much chance of approval. The Immigration officers can tell you what they are looking for and it is best to check with them as it can vary from time to time. But in general proof of tax payments on a significant income will be a strong factor.