My New Camera

Tywais

Well my current digital camera has begun to fail me. First the USB port failed so bought a card reader to be able to get the images off. Now it appears the general electronics are failing. It takes on a mind of its' own and switches settings and jumps from menu to menu on its' own. So figured time for a replacement. I'm not a serious photographer as I once was so just something that does a reasonable hobby job so wasn't interested in a dSLR.

My requirements were rather specific. Not a super megapixel sensor, 8 megabytes I consider about optimal with current sensor sizes. A long zoom (which can compensate some for the pixel count). Rechargeable battery compatible (AA). Good video mode resolution and good reviews and not overly expensive. My choice was a Canon S5 IS which satisfies all the above with the 12X optical zoom. Purchased a 2GB 150x SD card which was recommended for video and fast frame to frame shots.

Took it out of the box this afternoon and did some quick test shots (dusk at the time so good test for the higher ISO settings). The below are the first shots from it but downsized to 1024x768 for bandwidth reasons. All the shots of the house in the background are done with some degree of zoom on, the house is quite a way from me actually. So far I'm quite satisfied with it.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

nice pictures tywais. it is a highly rated camera for its built in IS. you surely need it with tele/zoom pictures. did you however compare this camera to the panasonic fz50 and the fuji s9600 prior to buying it? what made you decide on this camera as opposed to the other two. prices are comparable if i am not mistaken except for the panasonics being a bit more expensive. and for the price, did you think about getting a dslr? why did you decide otherwise?

too many questions! hope you dont mind :o. and while we're at it, have you gotten your honda civic? and how much did you sell your bluebird for?

nice pictures tywais. it is a highly rated camera for its built in IS. you surely need it with tele/zoom pictures. did you however compare this camera to the panasonic fz50 and the fuji s9600 prior to buying it? what made you decide on this camera as opposed to the other two. prices are comparable if i am not mistaken except for the panasonics being a bit more expensive. and for the price, did you think about getting a dslr? why did you decide otherwise?

I spent a few weeks evaluating reviews and did compare it with the above two. I detailed my specification criteria above. As for the Panasonic, it was a very close contender and nearly ordered it. The reviews were reasonable for it but a couple of issues I had with it. 1. The LCD display is a fold down rather then sideways which I would consider awkward, plus smaller LCD then the Canon. 2nd, it uses proprietary Lithium Ion batteries and I really wanted AA NiMH battery capability, much cheaper spare batteries.

The fuji s9600 has a 10x zoom and I wanted something longer. Also, smaller LCD finder and tilt LCD rather then side swing.

To be honest, it wasn't an easy or simple decision. Just a combination of comparative reviews and image/video samples and features similar to my existing camera that made the decision for me.

too many questions! hope you dont mind :o. and while we're at it, have you gotten your honda civic? and how much did you sell your bluebird for?

Not yet. Been thinking about the new Camry 2.0 and waiting to test drive. Plus the new Honda Accord comes out in December and may wait to look at it. I know, different caliber of car but will be driving it for several years and may as well get what I'm most comfortable in. I'm terrible when it comes to choosing big ticket items and constantly vacillate in my decision - bit frustrating really.

I spent a few weeks evaluating reviews and did compare it with the above two. I detailed my specification criteria above. As for the Panasonic, it was a very close contender and nearly ordered it. The reviews were reasonable for it but a couple of issues I had with it. 1. The LCD display is a fold down rather then sideways which I would consider awkward, plus smaller LCD then the Canon. 2nd, it uses proprietary Lithium Ion batteries and I really wanted AA NiMH battery capability, much cheaper spare batteries.

The fuji s9600 has a 10x zoom and I wanted something longer. Also, smaller LCD finder and tilt LCD rather then side swing.

To be honest, it wasn't an easy or simple decision. Just a combination of comparative reviews and image/video samples and features similar to my existing camera that made the decision for me.

Not yet. Been thinking about the new Camry 2.0 and waiting to test drive. Plus the new Honda Accord comes out in December and may wait to look at it. I know, different caliber of car but will be driving it for several years and may as well get what I'm most comfortable in. I'm terrible when it comes to choosing big ticket items and constantly vacillate in my decision - bit frustrating really.

accord comes out november actually. copy of a 5series beemer is what BKk post reviewed it as. nice looking really but still simple as compared to the camry. i'd go for the camry :D 2.0. as far as honda civic is concerned, 1.8 is as good as it is for the money. dont see a point paying for a 2.0. unless you are into performance cars.

back to the camera topic. you can never go wrong buying a canon camera.

accord comes out november actually. copy of a 5series beemer is what BKk post reviewed it as. nice looking really but still simple as compared to the camry. i'd go for the camry :D 2.0. as far as honda civic is concerned, 1.8 is as good as it is for the money. dont see a point paying for a 2.0. unless you are into performance cars.

Sorry, meant to type November. The odds it will be the Civic, just so many of them around Chiangmai now and I'm used to being different with the Nissan. :o I like what I've seen of the Camry (pictures only since they have none in stock at the moment). My concern is the horsepower with the 2.0. I have nearly the same horsepower but nearly 800 pounds lighter. Plus with the turbo, torque is pretty impressive.

back to the camera topic. you can never go wrong buying a canon camera.

I guess that was the one of the other reasons, the Canon name and reputation. Just ordered a Canon Pixma iP5300 to replace my aging Lexmark. So a good match up now.