Cantakerous Old Man

baabaabobo

Was he right?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just got back from a superb meal at Norbus restaurant in Rawai.

I was joined by another couple and thier son and once the children had finished eating they were excused and the two boys went to play

in the carpark where they were joined by a young girl from another table.

Meanwhile we ordered cognac and coffee and reflected on the wonderful steaks we had eaten.

At this time an old farang man with a walking stick came up to our table and claimed that our children had ruined his meal and that he was leaving.

He went and sat in his car while his apologetic Thai wife spoke to our thai wives about his heart problem.

Our kids were not making a noise and were only laughing. Thier laughter was at a lesser volume than the usual background pop that they

insist on playing at even good restaurants.

My point is that he thus ruined MY meal and I am now fuming at the fact that I did not respond rudely.

So who was right and who was wrong?

One of the joys of living here is surely that we can take our children out to restaurants,

Edited by baabaabobo

Dont worry about it. From what you say your kids were well behaved. Some people are grumpy and use any excuse. Maybe he was having a bad day and took it out on you because you all seemed so happy.

In Loas, after a nice meal, my friend and I chatted about the visit to the buddah park we had that day as we strolled back to our hotel. Normal chatter noise-wise, but happy and giggly. Out from nowhere booms "SHuTuP!" from a short old man with a walking stick and huge girth. Startled we just looked at him as we passed. Had a giggle once we got over the shock! Sometimes people are just bad tempered.

If it is an upscale restaurant then kids have no place. If it is your run of the mill dump kids rule.
It's not limited to kids, if it is a nice upscale place then I get wound up by people talking loudly on mobiles (ultimate bad manners), and wouldn't be too impressd with kids running around, there is a time and a place for that. However, if it is at a noodle shack or Macdonalds, then it is to be expected.

Not sure what the old man hoped to acheive by mentioning it though.

If it is an upscale restaurant then kids have no place.

Perhaps in New York or London, but Rawai Beach???

One of the things I love about Thailand is that kids are welcome everywhere, wish people would stop trying to turn it into their home country.

I was joined by another couple and thier son and once the children had finished eating they were excused and the two boys went to play

Meanwhile we ordered cognac and coffee and reflected on the wonderful steaks we had eaten.

At this time an old farang man with a walking stick came up to our table and claimed that our children had ruined his meal and that he was leaving.

He went and sat in his car while his apologetic Thai wife spoke to our thai wives about his heart problem.

Our kids were not making a noise and were only laughing. Thier laughter was at a lesser volume than the usual background pop that they

My point is that he thus ruined MY meal and I am now fuming at the fact that I did not respond rudely.

One of the joys of living here is surely that we can take our children out to restaurants,

Looks like you are the First member to know exactly what Weho looks like. :D:D Please give a bigger description :D:o

Thanks for replies everyone - Today I feel a bit better and am warmed to see that the majority of members agree with me. This guy was definitely a Weho/ Victor Meldew clone and it was pathetic that he sulked in his car while his long suffering wife paid the bill. The restaurant which might be called Norboos, a Tibetan cook, was excellent and the staff very pleasant. It is open at the front hence the kids playing. My son grew up in France where, like Thailand, children are welcome in restaurants whereas Mr. Grumpy was obviously english. :o

This is one of the more amusing threads.

Kids play. However there is a time and a place and that's what your kids did. They weren't in the resto getting in the way, they were outside. A 1 hour dinner is excruciating torture for some kids. Cripes, it was bloody hel_l for me. Instead of squirming about, fidgeting, interrupting, and bothering folks they were outside burning off the energy. If anything you get the gold star for parenting.

I don't think this has anything to do with national customs. I think what you had there was a chap who was physically ill and it had an impact upon his mental health. He could have been stressed or it could have been a side effect of his medications. Many meds can cause visible iritation and outbursts. If he had heart disease, he may have very well had circulatory problems with the CNS and this can bring on unpleasant behaviour.

Anyways, don't sweat it. And if your kids give you guff on eating right, you can remind them of the old crank and tell them to eat properly or they'll end up like him with clogged arteries.

Sorry but I am not kid friendly.. I think parents tend to have a far higher tolerance for kids noise and thier distractions while at play and in turn force others exposure to it under the basis that they dont mind or dont notice.

Maybe he was a grump, maybe he over reacted, maybe you are not aware of actually how much they were infringing on others.

As to the comment that a 1 hour dinner is torture for some children.. Then why take them !!!

As to the comment that a 1 hour dinner is torture for some children.. Then why take them !!!

Because parents are people too and have the right to go out as a family. Some parents actually like to spend quality time with their kids. Shocking I know. Although I am a grouchy a single male that dislikes kids, I remember what it was like sitting for more than 30 minutes. I defy anyone to tell me they didn't get antsy at the dinner table. I also know that it was cool to go to dinner with the grownups. If kids are not socialized and acclimatized in this manner they grow up to be miserable selfish people that don't know how to behave in a resto. Jeez. What's next we yell at them for enjoying life? Tolerating noisy children is part of our obligation as a society. Besides, I'm sure the resto owner would rather have a family than some grump that is rude to the staff and doesn't tip.

Edited by geriatrickid

We rarely go out to eat anymore for this very reason.

I have a boy who will be 2 in 2 more months.

He is not so sociably trained in the art of proper etiquette while eating. Especially in restaurants.

The last time we went out, my wife took care of him while i ate and then it was my turn while she ate.

Well, since the food took 30 minutes to get there and me 10-15 minutes to eat, he had had enough by this time.

I even tried walking around the block but it started raining, he was crying and ready for bed so........

My wife, said, let's just get my food to go and go home and put him to bed. I said I could handle it and she should enjoy her dinner out but she insisted.

Right when we were packing everything it takes to go out with the boy, he started crying again.

We left in a bit of a rush because i felt bad about disturbing diners.

About half way home, my wife noted that she forgot her food that they had boxed up for her.

We turned around and went back, only to find out that they had already thrown it out.

So, 700 baht for an evening out for a good dinner at a great restaurant turned into her cooking at home at 9 pm that night.

We haven't been out since. It's not easy but that's ok. (we chose to have our child and are glad we did)

Like someone said: Mai Pen Rai

Cities like Phuket are major tourist resorts, and the punters should not have to be confined to places like McDonalds just because they have children. If the grumpy old bastard has a problem point him to eat in his favourite bar and/or salavate over some underage gogo girl.

Because parents are people too and have the right to go out as a family. Some parents actually like to spend quality time with their kids. Shocking I know.

Well thats entirely dependant on WHERE they go out to.. Theres plenty of non child friendly locations. You wouldnt tolerate or defend seeing a family with a young child in an agogo bar ?? So they dont have the right to go out as a family anywhere, they have the right to go to places where children are tolerated. I would say that many restaurants are not suitable for young children.

What about my right as a customer to enjoy a peaceful meal in a nice restaurant ?? Especially when I am a paying customer who is paying for that nice atmosphere. Why does a parents right to be with thier children trump my right to peace ??

Tolerating noisy children is part of our obligation as a society.

Did I miss a meeting ?? I dont remember seeing this particular obligation pointed out at any time. Is not my standard and I will not have any simply as I do not wish to tolerate noisy children in my life. What happened to the seen and not heard rules of public behaviour I was raised under ?? If parents want to raise little ruffians with no respect for others under the banner of 'freedom of expression' etc then I think parents have an obligation to pick where they do so. I find I am continually amazed at how much non parents are supposed to tolerate and forgive based on other peoples desires to over populate the planet. Long haul flights are often made a nightmare thanks to noisy unbearable children who travel at half price tickets. Parents letting Jnr run up and down the isles. Kids who are not stopped from sitting and kicking the chair in front of them. Its not cute, I wasn't there at the conception then I dont want to know about them thanks.

Besides, I'm sure the resto owner would rather have a family than some grump that is rude to the staff and doesn't tip.

The restaurant is a business.. Its owner wants the easiest way to make a living with the lowest hassle for best reward.. If a family comes in and scares off his customers, stops people coming back, then I am sure he doesnt want them there.. Similarly if a grump is a pain the arse to his staff and means its harder to have a happy workforce then I am sure he doesnt want him there either. Some restaurants are relaxed places and many would be able to handle children in a daytime sitting. Many places would not welcome a noisy bunch of children in an evening when other diners are expecting a different experience.

I should point out, I am neither old nor a grump, I dont mind kids in the right environments, but not knowing the restaurant I dont agree that is should have been tolerated for sure. I think very often parents seem to assume the whole world is entertained by thier cute little ones at play and far more often parents infringe on the rights of non parents than the other way around. When did we last come and wake you up on a long haul flight etc ??

If the grumpy old bastard has a problem point him to eat in his favourite bar and/or salavate over some underage gogo girl.

Why should he be forced out to a bar tanks to Jnr being a noisy disruptive bundle of energy ??

And the fact that you need to instantly make out he needs to be salivating over some gogo girl when the OP clearly points out he was there with his wife just shows how little argument you really have.. Kinda pathetic !!

As a non parent, why should I automatically be expected to have to be subjected to the drawbacks of children that are nothing to do with me ??

Some places its expected, some environments it would be grumpy to deny groups, families, children.. An evening dinner service ?? Seems disrespectful to me.

I would say that many restaurants are not suitable for young children.

I agree and so do many parents.

Why does a parents right to be with thier children trump my right to peace ??

No one said it did, but peace is relative.

Tolerating noisy children is part of our obligation as a society

Did I miss a meeting ?? I dont remember seeing this particular obligation pointed out at any time.

Yes, it's called civilization and being part of a community. Those little kids grow up to be tax payers and community supporters if raised correctly. When a community marginalizes a segment, the community eventually pays a price.

Is not my standard and I will not have any simply as I do not wish to tolerate noisy children in my life.

That's your perogative. I don't like the sight of drunken lager louts stumbling about Bangla Rd., so I avoid the strip. You can avoid places where children are likely to be. If the restaurant allows families it is the business owner's decision and you have the option of not going there.

What happened to the seen and not heard rules of public behaviour I was raised under ??

I think it went out sometime in the 1800's, about the time they stopped; hanging & flogging small children for mischief, being sent to work houses if they were abandoned and given gin to keep them quiet.

Just remember that when children are neither seen nor heard, that is when the trouble arises. I'd rather a bunch of noisy kids playing ball in the soi near my house then doing yaba quietly and burglarizing homes sight unseen.

Ultimately, other people's kids are a pain in the arse. It all depends on how much their parents allow them to be a pain in the arse. I make no judgment in this case as I wasn't there.

There was a girl opposite me the other night with a toddler, who was screeching to her heart's content for about an hour. The parent was obviously oblivious to the annoyance this was causing - and there is something particularly irritating about children shrieking. To the parent, her daughter was just enjoying herself, and has obviously become immune to the annoyance. To the rest of us, it was fingernails down a blackboard time.

Dog owners are not dissimilar to some parents in not understanding the effect their "lovely little doggy-woggy" has on the rest of the population - as a child, I was traumatised on a daily basis by my best mate's sister's German Sheppard, who would put its front paws on my shoulders and growl an inch away from my face for as long as it liked. "Isn't he sweet? Don't worry, he won't hurt you", she'd say, as I quivered in a heap. I can't deal with dogs to this day, even small ones.

Kids and are a pain, so are old people. Don't get me started on how irritating my young nephews and elderly parents are!

It is truly sad when some expats here become bitter and tend to have a complaint to say about anything and everything and walk around in the Land of Smiles with a frown.

I pity them.

:o

To be fair, everyone moans about the place they live in. Right now, I bloody love England, and won't hear a word against it. When i'm back in the cold, miserably and grey UK, I'll slag it off with venom, and will go all misty-eyed over LOS.

Same same.

We rarely go out to eat anymore for this very reason.

I have a boy who will be 2 in 2 more months.

He is not so sociably trained in the art of proper etiquette while eating. Especially in restaurants.

I work in a high class Italian resturant on weekends and we had some children in that didnt really have any 'training' so to speak.

But like the father said to me:

"You have to start somewhere, dont you?"

To be fair, everyone moans about the place they live in. Right now, I bloody love England, and won't hear a word against it. When i'm back in the cold, miserably and grey UK, I'll slag it off with venom, and will go all misty-eyed over LOS.

Same same.

Thats understood. Everyone has to have a moan once in a while. It's perfectly normal.

But I'm talking about a different clique of farang that are old, bitter and ###### nasty. I'm sure we all know the type. They usually rant and rave all the time about anything and everything with a beer in one hand and a beautiful young Thai woman on the other arm, and unfortunatley Thailand seems to be home to a lot of that type.

Edited by ZombieQueen

You can never go wrong taking the high road,

The older gentleman may have not be feeling well, medical issues, whatever, small distractions can be amplified, etc.

You should be commended for your control and toleration. :o

Edited by cobra

Ultimately, other people's kids are a pain in the arse. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kids and are a pain, so are old people. Don't get me started on how irritating my young nephews and elderly parents are!

This would have to rate as one of the most disrespectful statements I have read on this forum. Were you were the perfect kid with the shittiest parents and family? Please stay away from here and enjoy the hole you live in. Have a nice life into you own retirering years. :o

where exactly in Rawai is Norbus? would be interested in a good steak sometime