No More Dependent Extension Of Stay If The Host Foreigner Has A Retirement Extension Of Stay Permit

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope new elected government will change these new rules :o

When, and if, a new government gets elected, I'm afraid you will discover that changes to retirement rules for farangs will be so low on their agenda that it will never see the light of day.

It doesn't matter which part of the political spectrum they come from, no Thai politician has anything to gain by passing laws favourable to farangs. In fact it would be political suicide.

And don't be taken in by Abhisit's pro western stance in his articles. Firstly he is most unlikely to be any part of the next government, and even if he is, he will know which side his bread is buttered and not get involved in such legislation.

I'm sorry but you must face the facts - it will get much worse before it gets better.

Does anyone know who is making decisions such as these within the immigration circus? Is there any accountability that can be traced to an individual. Has the point of the present junta been to score points using the easy Farang target? I fail to see the point or improvement in the lives of Thai people by making these changes which in my opinion would only serve to either break up families or eject law abiding residents who have arrived here with the promise of peace and harmony. I would love to see things the way this individual it always starts with an individual person) is looking at the his job of governance and supervision of the immigration laws in Thailand. More rules more requirements can only serve to produce "wrong doing" "law breaking" people... if those people would like to stay. Wasn't this governments mandate of office given in order to combat corruption? Or.. Is it that Farangs are seen as the source of corruption and therefore to blame? What will be the leading manefesto policy of the government to be in the coming election? Purity of the Thai nation? Or someother minor achievement of ethnic cleansing against the foreign element in Thailand? Does anyone have any idea what they are doing? Or..... Is some action better than no action in their minds?

doesn't affect me directly at this time, but it's a serious impediment for many good people who want to retire, relax, and spend their ample outside money in Thailand.

I don't believe in tit for tat, but Thaksin and thousands of other Thais residing overseas should be sorely glad this type of bureaucratic stupidity doesn't prevail in the countries they now reside in.

I think even the Thai bosses will have to rescind this self-defeating edict - as they have done in the past - when they realize their mistake.

Look folks, get one thing straight.

They don't care about foreigners - in fact many derive a diverse pleasure from pissing us off.

They don't care about the money we bring. They've all got their own personal fortunes and they couldn't give two hoots what happens to the Thai economy.

If every retired farang was kicked out of Thailand tomorrow, it would take years, if ever, for it to have even the slightest effect on the Thai economy.

Get real - they don't want you here, and you aint as important to Thailand as you think you are.

Sorry, all you dreamers out there.... :o

Gee, I wonder if there will be any letters to the Nation or Post about this? :o

I'm sure the powers that be are quaking in their boots, just dreading the day the first letter will appear :D

Edited by Mobi

I sense that there are a growing number of middle-class and upper-middle class Thais who don't like the idea that their city could get a significant number of Western retirees.

They weren't bothered about Pattaya/Phuket/Koh Samui going the way of the some coastal regions of Spain, but 'spillover' into other provincial cities raises hackles.

When they read of surveys that show that the majority of Brits would like to retire abroad, and hear that Spain and Portugal are getting overly expensive, they must worry that Thailand is vulnerable to a big wave of foreign retirees.

Look folks, get one thing straight.

They don't care about foreigners - in fact many derive a diverse pleasure from pissing us off.

They don't care about the money we bring. They've all got their own personal fortunes and they couldn't give two hoots what happens to the Thai economy.

If every retired farang was kicked out of Thailand tomorrow, it would take years, if ever, for it to have even the slightest effect on the Thai economy.

Get real - they don't want you here, and you aint as important to Thailand as you think you are.

Sorry, all you dreamers out there.... :o

I agree with you Mobi. We have far far less impact on the economy than many people on here think.

I do feel very sorry for the people it affects, especially if they have been living here for some time.

It CURRENTLY doesnt affect me, but it's symptomatic of the way things are moving.

My Thai wife asked me when we are going to buy a house here...............I said never. I'll keep buying property in my home country and renting it out whilst living in rented property over here. I feel far far safer doing that.

If you put all your eggs in Thailand's basket, someone could come and stomp on them one day.

As pleasant and desirable as the country may be, there comes a point where Thailand is no longer a cost effective or desirable option and this type of ruling pushes us all closer to that line. Am I alone in thinking that one morning in the future I might wake up to read a post on TV announcing that Immigration has now doubled to 1,600,000 per year the amount of money required for a retirement visa each year and without the benefit of any grandfather clause? Think about it, it's a very real possibility.

As pleasant and desirable as the country may be, there comes a point where Thailand is no longer a cost effective or desirable option and this type of ruling pushes us all closer to that line. Am I alone in thinking that one morning in the future I might wake up to read a post on TV announcing that Immigration has now doubled to 1,600,000 per year the amount of money required for a retirement visa each year and without the benefit of any grandfather clause? Think about it, it's a very real possibility.

You better believe it my friend.... :o

Remember September 1, 2007 as a sad day in the history of Thailand's dealings with its expatriates, right behind the day eleven months earlier. They very well may rescind this absurdly stupid idea, but it remains in history as handwriting on the wall. I pity the men who fell in love with that beautiful non-Thai girl and brought her to Thailand. And in some cases, we should empathize also with the farang men who made Thai babies in Thailand and may have to leave now.

This law does not affect me, and yet it very much affects me. First they came for the backpackers, but nobody objected. Then they came for the visa runners, and nobody wrote the MFA or the Immigration Police. Then they came for these men and ladies, and most of us will do nothing. At this rate, it will affect me directly, at any moment.

Until today, I only thought of returning to Mexico/Latin America as a fallback position in the distant future. Now I will very seriously seek employment and permanent settlement there, in the immediate future. Farang have no future here, none at all beyond the expiration of whatever stamp graces your passport by the questionable generosity of the Thai government.

A sad day in farang-Thai official relationships.

The whole situation with "Visa's for Farang" is to say the least fluid in Thailand. You never know what changes we are going to face next. This latest change will I feel result in a net reduction in the number of retired folks living here.

You can't help feeling if the Thai/Chin ruling class aren't trying to get some sort of pay back (They still blame "Farang" for the crash of 97). I don't think the average Thai is at all anti farang it just seems to be the powers that be.

What next Farang husand-Thai wife rule changes!!!!. If rules are changed that result in the Thai wife of a farang husband losing her fiscal support. Then maybe there would be some interest shown by the Thai people, but I wouldn't be that sure.

I also don't hold out much hope of any changes in the near future to improve the situation. I have lived in Thailand over 20 years and the actions of the government still never fail to prove again that this is "Amazing Thailand".

Remember September 1, 2007 as a sad day in the history of Thailand's dealings with its expatriates, right behind the day eleven months earlier. They very well may rescind this absurdly stupid idea, but it remains in history as handwriting on the wall. I pity the men who fell in love with that beautiful non-Thai girl and brought her to Thailand. And in some cases, we should empathize also with the farang men who made Thai babies in Thailand and may have to leave now.

This law does not affect me, and yet it very much affects me. First they came for the backpackers, but nobody objected. Then they came for the visa runners, and nobody wrote the MFA or the Immigration Police. Then they came for these men and ladies, and most of us will do nothing. At this rate, it will affect me directly, at any moment.

Until today, I only thought of returning to Mexico/Latin America as a fallback position in the distant future. Now I will very seriously seek employment and permanent settlement there, in the immediate future. Farang have no future here, none at all beyond the expiration of whatever stamp graces your passport by the questionable generosity of the Thai government.

A sad day in farang-Thai official relationships.

This law is so stupid, that I hope to god someone at the immigration department reads what he has just written and realises what the hel_l he has just done.

Why are these issues not debated in parliament anywhere?

Peace Blondie, you are spot on. I and others have been saying that the writing was on the wall for the majority of foreigners in Thailand for quite some time. These xenophobic laws are being passed because the powers that be feel that they don't need us anymore. Since no action was taken in the past when Thailand changed the immigration laws to get rid of "undesirable" foreigners, it was clear that they could slowly push the bar up and make more and more of us "undesirable". It's a simply matter of time before most of the "good" foreigners who had their visas "sorted" out are the next on the hit list. I don't expect any change in government to affect these laws and this trend. We are not wanted anymore.

If you are applying for the extension of stay based on retirement. You now need to provide a map from Immigration to your house.

How ridiculous is this? Immigration cant read an address? If someone has a detailed map of my moo ban...please let me know.......I've never found one.

Will a sketch suffice?

Seriously...is this a joke?

In my country if you want to know where somewhere is located you only have to ask a policeman. But then we consider policemen to be our friends.

I notice that the jingoistic Thais who come here are very silent on this subject. Maybe they've gone somewhere quiet to play with themselves over the prospect.

Although I am unaffected by this latest madness I am now making arrangements to visit Cambodia and the Philippines with a view to re-settlement. I shall enjoy reading about the implosion of Pattaya.

Raising the retirement age to 60 or 65 with again, no grandfathering, would have an even bigger effect.

The map is no big deal.

If the maps required for marriage extensions are anything to go by, they will accept a simple hand drawn map, with some key places marked in Thai.

Similar to ones you are asked to provide by any company who wants to make a delivery to your home.

They just want to know where to find you, so they can check if you have complied with any new rules they decide to impose. :o

Make all the laws that apply to foreigners in Thailand apply to Thai people in the countries foreigners have come

from. There is nothing special about Thailand...Nothing at all. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

It is no small wonder why foreign buisness many are opening up corporations in their own names with 100% ownership of all the shares. Thailand is a closed society. They want but they return nothing.

How can anybody live and do business in place they modify the height of the bar constantly. And they wonder why their economy is in the dumps. The only thing that remains constant here is nothing remains constant. What an F’n JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just understood a fundamental Buddhist principle: "Nothing is permanent!"

Some of you say that Thai economy is not affected by farang having to leave Thailand.

I live in Chiang Mai and when I compare biss now against one year ago, I would say it is alot less now or better say dramatic. Reasons? Whatever one believes; coup, tsunami, smog, but probably also abandoning visa runners and other anti faranf measures.

Not only in Chiang Mai, but also much more quiet in Pattaya, Phuket and all other southern places so I am told by Thai people.

I say economy will be affected but might be half as bad as I think.

You have to look at the big picture

The stats for this year show that head of the list of retirement visa approvals is CHINA with INDIA and JAPAN close. The farang is way down the list.

So if Thai Officials allow this to continue with Mr Wong and 10 kids all under 800,000 baht retirement scheme, then the future looks grim for Thailand.

UNfortunately in the big net gets caught the small fish and so I feel for those that planned for their retirement -

Somethings in life are certain - tax, death and changes to the law.

TRY Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia :o

Remember a few months ago when many rejoice that Thailand was finally taking the necessary steps to get rid of "the scum backpackers, fake English teachers and tax-evaders"? Some warmed those gloating and goose-walking that Immigration might come after them next....

Here we go...

[sandy]

Yeah, it's tough getting discriminated against.

Payback is a b1tch.

Probably someone in power has had a relative or themselves discriminated against in another country.

Sad.

Not too many comments about the map.

I wonder if my hand drawn map would suffice or will they require a govt. issued one (google earth?)

I too have not met a Thai who can read one.

Once when i was explaining to someone in Issan how to drive to Bangkok and using my map for a reference to all of the turns, the Thai lady said to me: "Where can i get one of those picture things with the town names on it?" I told her you had to go to Bangkok to get one.

I keep trying to get my wife to learn to read one but she still can't figure out which way is her home when we are at the beach. She points the wrong way more than 75% of the time! Perhaps the immigration officials are smarter.

What the new rules mean is that a foreign husband with a foreign spouse or dependant living in Thailand will have to prove that both parties are financially independent.

A retiree who was required by the imposed rules to hold 800000 baht for a Non Imm visa, now as a couple has to show double, 160000 baht.

Fair enough, Thailand is not a welfare state and foreigners wishing to stay here should be prepared for such changes prior to coming over to Thailand or other countries.

There are foreigners that are and have been abusing the immigration rule system here for years. Examples, claiming to work for friend's company, friend obtaining work permits but reality is they are giving false statement, not actually working for friend's company. Working illegally, avoiding Immigration with visa runs, marriages of convenience to Thais for business purposes and property controlling.

Immigration are fully aware of what's going on, meaning more tighter rules and difficulties for the bide by the rules legitimate long-term residents.

Discontinue the visa runs, clamp down on permanent tourists.

Edited by distortedlink

You have to look at the big picture

The stats for this year show that head of the list of retirement visa approvals is CHINA with INDIA and JAPAN close. The farang is way down the list.

So if Thai Officials allow this to continue with Mr Wong and 10 kids all under 800,000 baht retirement scheme, then the future looks grim for Thailand.

UNfortunately in the big net gets caught the small fish and so I feel for those that planned for their retirement -

Somethings in life are certain - tax, death and changes to the law.

TRY Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia :o

The Malaysians with their "Retire to Malaysia" program must be laughing their heads off

Raising the retirement age to 60 or 65 with again, no grandfathering, would have an even bigger effect.

Yes but the trend was bringing it down wasn't it? I believe it was higher than 50 only a few years ago? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have only recently got my retirement visa and thankfully over 50 so not affected (yet) but this is truly dreadful news for a lot of people.