No More Dependent Extension Of Stay If The Host Foreigner Has A Retirement Extension Of Stay Permit

Tai people in the region have been given a very bad impression of farangs over the centuries.

The Brits took neighbouring Burma and Malaya, and the French took neighbouring Laos and Cambodia.

The Brits forced themselves upom Siam with the Bowring Treaty.

Their underlying view of farangs is:"Farang's are aggressive and we are not, and so we are vulnerable to them."

We farangs really do have to accept that the praiseworthy view of our nations, with which we were brainwashed in our childhood, is not held by the people of this region.

And we should not be surprised that those of the Tai people who are now living within the nation state of Thailand don't want us here.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The number of posts where ThaiVisa members wrote "it doesn't affect me" is specific for the fahrangs and the fahrang community.

Only "PeaceBlonde" made the right analyzis of the situation and has got the guts to write it down:

"First they came for the backpackers, but nobody objected. Then they came for the visa runners, and nobody wrote the MFA or the Immigration Police. Then they came for these men and ladies, and most of us will do nothing."

Today it's them, tomorrow it can and it will be YOU who is affected.

The fahrang community should unite, write to their specific governments abroad about these laws, and publish this racist behavior in foreign newspapers.

That would hurt the Thai economy right where it hurts the most and make them think twice about such laws.

As pleasant and desirable as the country may be, there comes a point where Thailand is no longer a cost effective or desirable option and this type of ruling pushes us all closer to that line. Am I alone in thinking that one morning in the future I might wake up to read a post on TV announcing that Immigration has now doubled to 1,600,000 per year the amount of money required for a retirement visa each year and without the benefit of any grandfather clause? Think about it, it's a very real possibility.

You better believe it my friend.... :o

Raising the retirement age to 60 or 65 with again, no grandfathering, would have an even bigger effect.

Yes but the trend was bringing it down wasn't it? I believe it was higher than 50 only a few years ago? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Emphasis on was. The change from 55 to 50 happened ten years ago or so if memory serves. In case you hadn't noticed, the current "climate" is a bit different than it was then. :D

I may be wrong, but I think that there are many more retirees here who have Thai wives or girlfriends than there are Farang couples. I don't think that this change will lead to a mass exodus directly, at the most, a couple of thousand people may pack up and go.

Far more disturbing is the general trend of the imm. laws! While the number of people directly affected by this change will be relatively small, the real question is: Who's next?

Now, as for the economic effects of this sort of thing, most of Thailand is outside of the 'Farang ghetto'. While a Farang exodus would have some effect in Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai, it wouldn't be noticed in Pichit or Lampang or Trang!

Tai people in the region have been given a very bad impression of farangs over the centuries.

The Brits took neighbouring Burma and Malaya, and the French took neighbouring Laos and Cambodia.

Their underlying view of farangs is:"Farang's are aggressive and we are not, and so we are vulnerable to them."

We farangs really do have to accept that the praiseworthy view of our nations, with which we were brainwashed in our childhood, is not held by the people of this region.

And we should not be surprised that those of the Tai people who are now living within the nation state of Thailand don't want us here.

Its THAI and not Tai

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this, but do the terms "extension of stay" and "renewal" in this case meanthe same? I am spouse to a retired husband. We renew each year based on this status. I am still quite a nember of years away from qualifying myself for retirement. I could qualify as custodial parent of a student, but that means another 800,000 baht on the bank each year at renewal time and I for one don't like bringing 800,000 baht in the country to sit in the bank what with how unstable things are here now, let alone 1,600,000 baht.

Make all the laws that apply to foreigners in Thailand apply to Thai people in the countries foreigners have come

from. There is nothing special about Thailand...Nothing at all. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

It is no small wonder why foreign buisness many are opening up corporations in their own names with 100% ownership of all the shares. Thailand is a closed society. They want but they return nothing.

If somebody dropped a stack of dimes to CBP in LA, you wouldn't find a single Thai restaurant open the next day. More Thai 'students' make their living, and stay indefinitely (or at least until they can find a 'green-card marriage') working illegally as wait staff in Thai restaurants than are there legally.

Still, I don't advocate 'tit-for-tat' either. I just marvel at the hypocrisy and utter disregard for the lives of people who have chosen to legally (until today) settle here, bring and spend their retirement funds, and raise their children...

I guess the 1 Sept. 2007 effectivity is designed to sort things before the 23 Dec. 'election'...

Oh, and neither am I affected, although I have a ticket back to the US for the end of this month...actually, I hope no one does retaliate, because the only krapow I'll be eating any time soon will be in Thaitown...

Sateev

Does anyone on this board honestly think that the Thais have less of a right to control who comes and stays in Thailand than all the countries that the winging and moaning people on this forum come from ????

Look at the retirement/residence options that the UK, Western Europe etc. provide for non EU/UK residents - I am Australian and come here two weeks per month for business. I have NO desire to live here long term as I would rather live in Oz. However I do like Thailand and the people but also respect their sovereign right to determine who comes and goes.

I work in the finance and IT industries and we employ 12 full time and 20 part time Thais. We have never had any problems getting multiple entry visas and two of us have work permits. In my experience the Thai's are appreciative of businesses that develop the country and farangs that help them do so. However I know they are embarrassed about the faring enclaves in Pattaya and other such places and don't really put such developments in the "desirable" category.

The Thais have much bigger problems than worrying about the effect of their immigration policies on the farang "retirement" population (no one should be retired at 50!!) eg. poverty in the NE, AIDS, insurgency in the south, lack of a democracy etc. etc.

Isn't it just Western arrogance that we should assume that The Thais care about the ups and downs of westerners trying to stay here?

Also the amount of moaning about Thailand I see on this board makes me wonder that why people want to stay at all. Maybe that should all go back to "Sunny" England or wherever they come from.

As of Sept 1st, no more dependent extension of stay permits will be issued if the foreigner has a extension of stay based on retirement. This includes any "grandfather" cases where the dependent applicant had the extension of stay before Sept 1st 2007.

Not being affected myself, I think that will be very bad news for many families currently living in Thailand. I can understand their decision to not accept new applications, but virtually kicking out those who are currently living here under the regulations they made is very very bad.

:o

Well !! Having just returned from my hols in Issan and viewing the current falang Thai relationship thing, all was well up in reality land. Now this revalation by our sponsors just shows how insular these city people have become.

Normally I would not respond to the banter that we all love to read on this site, but this one seems to have pushed my button. I think we all love Thailand and Her people and tollerate much administrative mischief by the ruling powers in the city, as I beleive most of us are law abiding genuine people, living as guests of his Majesty in the Kingdom.

I did consider retiring in Thailand, having a wife step daughter and a baby of 15 months. Now this mischief has happened, and having assessed just what the adminastrative regulations offer my family and myself for a life to retire and be part of the structure here have all but dissapeared.

Without going into too much detail, my miserly income of 2 million p/a will be going elsewhere to build my childrens future in a more accomodating civilised society. Being a westerner thankfully this will not be too much hassle.

Som nom 4 the beurocrats.

Its THAI and not Tai

Actually, 'Tai' is correct, since the OP refers to historical times, before the renaming of Siam to Thailand, or even the unification of the Tai people into Siam. Tai is an ethnic name, and refers to the race of people inhabiting what is now Thailand.

I think, unless I am giving the OP more credit than due, his post is spot on. His grasp of the history of the region seems pretty good...

Sateev

The number of posts where ThaiVisa members wrote "it doesn't affect me" is specific for the fahrangs and the fahrang community.

Only "PeaceBlonde" made the right analyzis of the situation and has got the guts to write it down:

"First they came for the backpackers, but nobody objected. Then they came for the visa runners, and nobody wrote the MFA or the Immigration Police. Then they came for these men and ladies, and most of us will do nothing."

Today it's them, tomorrow it can and it will be YOU who is affected.

The fahrang community should unite, write to their specific governments abroad about these laws, and publish this racist behavior in foreign newspapers.

That would hurt the Thai economy right where it hurts the most and make them think twice about such laws.

I am all in favor of some form of action, despite the fact that I do not necessarily believe it would be effective. Writing to foreign newspapers is certainly a way to start and will be interested to read if anyone else has other useful ideas. I know, we could all get together and and have a march in Bangkok on the government offices, that way we could all get kicked out together and save the anxiety of waiting for the inevitable and demonstrate our solidarity for other farangs. Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Its THAI and not Tai

The Tai were an ethnic group who were driven out of southern China a long time ago and settled in among other places the country which we now know as Thailand

This country becomes more of a joke as the days roll by. Even my wife agrees that they are becoming a global embarrassment. This just reinforces my decision to treat this place as a NON (O) holiday place in a rented condo. People are right in saying don't burn your bridges, I could make a fortune by selling my home overseas and buy something here, but now that would just seem to be idiotic. It is still financially better for me to stay here, but I think soon that may be reviewed, after all, cheapness was pretty much all this place had going for it.

I feel very sorry for the people affected and hope they didn't burn their bridges at home.

Of course, this is the daily surprise behind the BIG SMILE. I am not effected by this new,, out of the blue,, rule but I am going to regret the day I decided to live in Thailand. What is next ??

The property market -/- 50 % sales comparing to 2006 will sufer at least another 20 %. :o

As pleasant and desirable as the country may be, there comes a point where Thailand is no longer a cost effective or desirable option and this type of ruling pushes us all closer to that line. Am I alone in thinking that one morning in the future I might wake up to read a post on TV announcing that Immigration has now doubled to 1,600,000 per year the amount of money required for a retirement visa each year and without the benefit of any grandfather clause? Think about it, it's a very real possibility.

Shuuuch ! Don't give them any ideas-

So how do we prove the spouse as her OWN 800,000 bht. I mean is a document presented that states the money is hers, and the husband had nothing to do with the money, did not provide etc...

Much like buying land (swamp) in Thailand? Does the wife have to show she has had the money in a bank account for x amount of time....

DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Its THAI and not Tai

Actually, 'Tai' is correct, since the OP refers to historical times, before the renaming of Siam to Thailand, or even the unification of the Tai people into Siam. Tai is an ethnic name, and refers to the race of people inhabiting what is now Thailand.

I think, unless I am giving the OP more credit than due, his post is spot on. His grasp of the history of the region seems pretty good...

Sateev

my apologies - I thought we were discussing issues of 1st September 2007

Isn't it just Western arrogance that we should assume that The Thais care about the ups and downs of westerners trying to stay here?

No, it is the presumption in law in civilized countries that a husband and wife have a right to live together. The word "humanity" is noticeably absent from your rather pompus rant hence I would suggest that you examine the problem from the position of what is normally expected in civilized countries in these circumstances.

Does anyone on this board honestly think that the Thais have less of a right to control who comes and stays in Thailand than all the countries that the winging and moaning people on this forum come from ????

Look at the retirement/residence options that the UK, Western Europe etc. provide for non EU/UK residents - I am Australian and come here two weeks per month for business. I have NO desire to live here long term as I would rather live in Oz. However I do like Thailand and the people but also respect their sovereign right to determine who comes and goes.

I work in the finance and IT industries and we employ 12 full time and 20 part time Thais. We have never had any problems getting multiple entry visas and two of us have work permits. In my experience the Thai's are appreciative of businesses that develop the country and farangs that help them do so. However I know they are embarrassed about the faring enclaves in Pattaya and other such places and don't really put such developments in the "desirable" category.

The Thais have much bigger problems than worrying about the effect of their immigration policies on the farang "retirement" population (no one should be retired at 50!!) eg. poverty in the NE, AIDS, insurgency in the south, lack of a democracy etc. etc.

Also the amount of moaning about Thailand I see on this board makes me wonder that why people want to stay at all. Maybe that should all go back to "Sunny" England or wherever they come from.

Fabulous.

So, let me get this straight:

You don't want to live here.

You do enjoy spending time here, doing 'business', and, presumably, enjoying the natural wonder that is Sukhumvit Road.

You fail to see that, if they are actually making these changes, there IS a body of "Thais [who] care about the ups and downs of westerners trying to stay here." They just prefer the 'downs'

And, finally, the issue is not Thai immigration policy, per se, but rater the caprice and apparent instability of the policies.

Sure, people are understandably concerned about how this affects them, but there are many of us who are not affected, who still see that this is bad for Thailand, as well as possibly disastrous for people who had reason to believe that, as long as they played by the rules, they were safe.

Yes, yes, I know: you don't want to live here. But there are many of us who have done so, and would like to continue...

Don't worry, though, Nana will still be there every two weeks, at least for a while.

Sateev

Over the last ten years I've noticed that every time farangs get worked up over a perceived change in any aspect of life here in Thailand, there is a "henny penny the sky is falling mentality" and a rush to predict a mass exodus, forced or voluntary, from Thailand. Life goes on, and more and more farang keep coming. I really don't see anything but more farang in our future here. My advice is to be patient and pleasant and enjoy some aspect of nature and fellow man and watch how things just sort of resolve themselves.

Their underlying view of farangs is "Farang's are aggressive and we are not, and so we are vulnerable to them."

Does you infinite wisdom see any particular reason why our aggressive and non-praiseworthy nations should continue granting the Thais in our homecountries all the things which they deny us in theirs?

Its THAI and not Tai

Sateev

You deigned to correct someone's post, and were ignorant of the facts.

Rather than a sarcastic retort, what I think you are fumbling around to say is: "Sorry for the ignorant reply. Thanks for clearing it up."

Sateev

Ah well, another fantasy gone west - marrying a Filipina or cambondian gal and retiring to Thailand. Like many Thai laws, it does seem that people over fifty are welcome over here as long as they are willing to hand over their dosh to their Thai girl/boyfriend, and as long as this redistribution of wealth goes down all is well.

To be fair to the Thais, if you go to Auckland or parts of the UK you will find that thoughtless immigration policies can actually ruin the whole character of a place and judging by the jam-packed nature of the main immigration office in Bkk, they are not, as someone else mentioned, too happy at certain nationalities bringing over whole armies of relatives on their retirement visa (and most likely working illegally).

The real killer on this though, is its sudden, without any warning, implementation (and the lack of grandfathering)!

Their underlying view of farangs is "Farang's are aggressive and we are not, and so we are vulnerable to them."

Does you infinite wisdom see any particular reason why our aggressive and non-praiseworthy nations should continue granting the Thais in our homecountries all the things which they deny us in theirs?

Good point, all my Thai friends in the UK do very well thanks to the generosity of our country and the welcoming nature, were it not for this they would be struggling like the majority of working class Thai people.

As soon as people accept that life here is not fair and the outlook here is retarded at best the sooner you can treat it like the country it is, god for a bit of fun but not much more, like the bars and restaurants in the evenings with the pretty lights and nice colours that in the cold light of day are stinking shacks with cockroaches, rats and the stink of sewers.

It is such a mad pace and this is the attraction to mist of us I think, but would you really want to stay here for ever and deal with all the nonsense? And who in theor right mind would want thei kid growing up with the values promoted here, the blinkered outlook etc.?

Its THAI and not Tai

Sateev

You deigned to correct someone's post, and were ignorant of the facts.

Rather than a sarcastic retort, what I think you are fumbling around to say is: "Sorry for the ignorant reply. Thanks for clearing it up."

Sateev

sorry I made another mistake this is 1st September 2550 and its Tai

hows that!

Over the last ten years I've noticed that every time farangs get worked up over a perceived change in any aspect of life here in Thailand, there is a "henny penny the sky is falling mentality" and a rush to predict a mass exodus, forced or voluntary, from Thailand. Life goes on, and more and more farang keep coming. I really don't see anything but more farang in our future here. My advice is to be patient and pleasant and enjoy some aspect of nature and fellow man and watch how things just sort of resolve themselves.

Give me a nickel (or 2 baht) for every time I've heard this tripe.

So, in other words, your visa situation is sorted (for now), so why should you care if Mr. and Mrs. Farang have to rethink their retirement, perhaps with few alternatives. Yeah, I know, maybe it was naive for them to think they could follow the rules, and spend their retirement in peace. Which is exactly the point.

As for '..every time...", at least for the last ten years, this move is relatively unprecedented, so it doesn't quite have the smell of working itself out, especially for people who will be displaced.

So enjoy whatever aspect of nature and fellow man you can, until it's your turn...

Sateev

"Not I, said the duck"

I think that all the countries that farangs come from should apply the same rules to all the Thai people living there. Only fair and just. They are there earning money most of which is sent back to Thailand to support their families. Which the Thai government do not do.

So let them put a stop to that! Use the same thought process of the Thai government that if you don't like it - GET OUT and GO HOME