No More Dependent Extension Of Stay If The Host Foreigner Has A Retirement Extension Of Stay Permit

It was mentioned in an earlier post re a farang couple doing the split year renewals, at least three months apart and simply transferring the 800K between one and others bank for renewal of retirement visa - is that viable for the future?

They would have to transfer the funds out of the country after the 1st permit was granted and then transfer it in the second applicants name. They would have transfer fees and exchange rates to deal with but it could be possible.

One fly in the ointment, they are granting in some cases now, just one month " under consideration" and then the one year permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

My husband and I have done our renewals 6 months apart for 5 years now in Phuket. We have a joint bank account. Yesterday when my husband went in to do his renewal, the officer requested that I give him copies of MY previous visa extensions (all of them). Then the head honcho, very aggressively demanded to know WHY we had different extension dates. We felt as if we had committed a capital offence. I explained that I was older by 6 months and that we applied for our visas when we separately turned 50 years of age. I was then informed that when I renew my visa next March, that it would be good until September, to coincide with my husband's. The irony is that the money here in Phuket is MINE......I should have told the ?+#@ that since I was older and the money was mine, that my husband is actually my toyboy and that I am the one with the Big Bucks......the question would have been in that case, would my husband's visa be piggybacking on mine????

No mention was made of remedying the situation by having 2 bank accounts and continuing the 6 month split. I feel that they were closing this loophole by basically ordering me to "piggyback" on my husband's visa in order to have the same renewal dates which would preclude the necessity of having 1.6 million Baht in at one time rather than transferring 800,000 Baht between accounts at different times of the year.

What to do, what to do.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can not piggy back. The pending change to order 606/2006 will prevent that. You will both have to qualify for retirement (long stay) visas in the future (as you seem to have been doing). It seems to be a help in your case as you have the required funds and now that requirement will be met at the same time each year (with the 3 month rule that seems to help you). Under your present situation you would have to maintain 1.6 mil for six months of the year.

You can not piggy back. The pending change to order 606/2006 will prevent that. You will both have to qualify for retirement (long stay) visas in the future (as you seem to have been doing). It seems to be a help in your case as you have the required funds and now that requirement will be met at the same time each year (with the 3 month rule that seems to help you). Under your present situation you would have to maintain 1.6 mil for six months of the year.

Ok, now I am confused.........Is it only in Thailand that the new rules (at some places) are being put into effect? Just received a e-mail from a friend in Calif. and he and his wife just received their "OA" retirement visa using only his military pension in LA.. I know or think I understand the basic police/min. actions but this is really out in left field. (email was dated 9/18/07)

Ok, now I am confused.........Is it only in Thailand that the new rules (at some places) are being put into effect? Just received a e-mail from a friend in Calif. and he and his wife just received their "OA" retirement visa using only his military pension in LA.. I know or think I understand the basic police/min. actions but this is really out in left field. (email was dated 9/18/07)

It seems to be that, the actual visa itself poses no problem, but the EXTENSION to the visa.......when the person (people) is/are in Thailand.

A friend of mine is contemplating going home every year (for a visit to his family) and just appying for a new visa year on year in his home countries Thai Consulate

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

retiredusn Posted Today, 2007-09-20 12:35:45
(lopburi3 @ 2007-09-20 09:34:16) *

I tried to be clear but guess I wasn't by saying the "pending change" will prevent this - I am not talking about today or yesterday but to a specific poster and there question of the future. From what we know now piggy back will not be allowed when they would want to use it.

It seems to be that, the actual visa itself poses no problem, but the EXTENSION to the visa.......when the person (people) is/are in Thailand.

A friend of mine is contemplating going home every year (for a visit to his family) and just appying for a new visa year on year in his home countries Thai Consulate

Penkoprod

Isn't the original O/A Retirement Visa only valid for 3 months in order to give you time to open the bank account, transfer the money and apply for the extension?

Penkoprod

Isn't the original O/A Retirement Visa only valid for 3 months in order to give you time to open the bank account, transfer the money and apply for the extension?

One year and then you request extension of stay's.

The O-A is a pre-approved one year permitted to stay stamp on entry with special requirements (police clearance/medical). Many people obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa to investigate retirement options and that provides a 90 day permitted to stay during which they can get money in place. But with the new three month requirement for the money this is not as easy as it used to be.

Yes - what happens here

if you apply in another country and show funds (in the country you are applying)

or

if your visa expires while you are in another country and you reapply - how can they check that you have money in a Thai bank??

The only place you can apply for an extension is at Immigration inside Thailand and that will require funds in Thailand for the previous three months is using 800k method.

The only place you obtain an O-A visa is your home country - you do not obtain on a visit to a Consulate in another country without being a resident.

I have had 3 extensions on my retirement visa and normally show 65K per month (embassy letter).

If I am out of Thailand on holiday for 6 -8 weeks (to early to get visa extension) then does my visa expire and I have to get another ?

If I have to apply for a new visa in another country then would i need to show money in the bank or 65K PM in my resident country?

thanks

If you have plans/tickets out immigration will likely renew your extension early - they do this often.

If not your extension of stay will end and you will need a new visa entry and apply for a new extension of stay. Normally being over age 50 should allow the issue of a single entry non immigrant O visa to enter with - especially with the retirement extensions you already show in passport. But even a visa exempt or tourist visa entry can be changed by Immigration at an extra 2,000 baht charge.

The only place you obtain an O-A visa is your home country - you do not obtain on a visit to a Consulate in another country without being a resident.

we did obtain that visa Lopburi, but that was 4 years ago. we had already established a bank account in Thailand and could prove that the necessary dough was transferred.

Everything is status quo as before Sept 1st 2007 at Bangkok Immigration. The higherups had a meeting yesterday and as no new Police Order has been issued in the Royal Gazette, they'll abide with the National Police Order 606 starting as of today.

Good news for the extension of stay dependents based on retirement as of today. Possibly bad news for parents under 50 years old, because everything is the same until a new police Order comes out( if it ever will ) As of today the window is back open for applicants of dependents and Bkk Immigration is going to follow Police Order 606 even if it is in conflict with the Immigration Act and Ministerial Regulations.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com