Driving From Bangkok To Roi Et

Monkey Fish

Hello,

I've been to Roi Et to see the family three times this year and I don't think I can bear another adventure on the bus or passenger van. I'm thinking that I'll just go ahead and get a Thai driver's license (I've got a work permit and my 'real' driver's license expired two years ago) and rent a car for the trip.

Is there any reason that this would not be a good idea? It seems pretty straight-forward to me, but Thailand has surprised me before.

Also, I'm curious about the procedure at the numerous police checkpoints that I've seen on the way. What's the standard operating procedure? How much do you expect to pay per trip? Also, do you ever vary your route to avoid/minimize checkpoints?

Thanks for your help.

Given you do not currently have a valid license (expired), getting that Thai drivers license might not be as easy as you think so you need to sort that out first.

As far as check points, there are two permanent ones. Both seem to be Army rather than police checkpoints. One is on the way to Korat and another north of Korat about 100km. I have never been stopped so don't think you will have a problem. You will encounter several traffic police check points along the way using radar guns to catch speeders. If you keep your speed below 100km between Bangkok and Phi Mai you should have no trouble. Watch out between Baan Phi (where you turn right to Roiet) and Roiet as they strictly enforce the 90km per hour limit. The roads are very good. Four lanes all the way except for the last 20km.

Edited by roietjimmy

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I just got back from the hospital with my health certificate (the doc gave me a color blindness test, so hopefully it's the right kind) and I'm reading all the relevant posts in the driving forum now. One of my students mentioned that they administer a computer test in English now, but only give the lecture in Thai, so I'm a little worried about that. Re the driving test, I speak some Thai, but if the bureaucrats here are anything like they were at home... I guess I'd better bring a friend along.

Since I've always been in the bus or van, we were stopped at every checkpoint and I incorrectly assumed that happened to everybody. Good to know it's not that bad.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I just got back from the hospital with my health certificate (the doc gave me a color blindness test, so hopefully it's the right kind) and I'm reading all the relevant posts in the driving forum now. One of my students mentioned that they administer a computer test in English now, but only give the lecture in Thai, so I'm a little worried about that. Re the driving test, I speak some Thai, but if the bureaucrats here are anything like they were at home... I guess I'd better bring a friend along.

Since I've always been in the bus or van, we were stopped at every checkpoint and I incorrectly assumed that happened to everybody. Good to know it's not that bad.

Yes buses and vans do get stopped especially since the coup. I believe the purpose of this was to prevent/restrict large groups (Thaksin supporters) from making their way to bangkok to "cause trouble".

Drivers tests are available in English but as you say be sure and take a Thai speaker with you.

Yes buses and vans do get stopped especially since the coup. I believe the purpose of this was to prevent/restrict large groups (Thaksin supporters) from making their way to bangkok to "cause trouble".

Drivers tests are available in English but as you say be sure and take a Thai speaker with you.

It is a route that many westerners drive without too many problems. However you should be aware that the road between Salaburi and Khorat is one of the most accident prone in the kingdom. Problems that I have had with the police on the route usually seem to involve spot checks near Khorat. They are basically looking fo ra handout of about 200baht.

Edited by citizen33

I've noticed on the forums that 200 seems to be the going rate when stopped (actually, the thread I'm thinking of concerned Pattaya), but every Thai I ask says they pay 100. I was curious if this was the same in Isaan.

Contributions to the "policemans retirement" fund are based on ones perceived ability to pay. If you are a poor farmer riding a motorbilke with no helmet, no registration, no lights, no license you will not even be stopped. If you are a very rich well connected Thai driving a Benz, have impressive badges on your car grill you will not be stopped even if you are speeding at 200Km per hour. Every one else in between these two extremes is subject to being stopped and encouraged to contribute to the retirement fund.

Some tips on keeping your contributions to a minimum are:

First and most importantly, keep your speed within or close to the posted speed limit. Except on the elevated toll road leaving Bangkok where I have been stopped for no reason, if I don't speed I have never been pulled over.

Keep your drivers license and a 100 baht note plainly visible inside the car. If you are stopped the first thing the cop will ask for is your license. Do not have it in your wallet as he will be looking to see how much money you have and adjust the amount of your contribution accordingly.

If you are stopped, payment of some sort will be inevitable. No matter how good your Thai is I advise you say nothing just smile and act dumb. Assuming you have a Thai with you, let them do the negotiations. Once you are in Isaan, you should never have to pay more than 100 baht.

Frankly, I believe you are far to concerned with the issue of how much to pay or if you will be stopped. Stay within the speed limits, enjoy the trip and you will have no problem.

I've noticed on the forums that 200 seems to be the going rate when stopped (actually, the thread I'm thinking of concerned Pattaya), but every Thai I ask says they pay 100. I was curious if this was the same in Isaan.

Contributions to the "policemans retirement" fund are based on ones perceived ability to pay. If you are a poor farmer riding a motorbilke with no helmet, no registration, no lights, no license you will not even be stopped. If you are a very rich well connected Thai driving a Benz, have impressive badges on your car grill you will not be stopped even if you are speeding at 200Km per hour. Every one else in between these two extremes is subject to being stopped and encouraged to contribute to the retirement fund.

Some tips on keeping your contributions to a minimum are:

First and most importantly, keep your speed within or close to the posted speed limit. Except on the elevated toll road leaving Bangkok where I have been stopped for no reason, if I don't speed I have never been pulled over.

Keep your drivers license and a 100 baht note plainly visible inside the car. If you are stopped the first thing the cop will ask for is your license. Do not have it in your wallet as he will be looking to see how much money you have and adjust the amount of your contribution accordingly.

If you are stopped, payment of some sort will be inevitable. No matter how good your Thai is I advise you say nothing just smile and act dumb. Assuming you have a Thai with you, let them do the negotiations. Once you are in Isaan, you should never have to pay more than 100 baht.

Frankly, I believe you are far to concerned with the issue of how much to pay or if you will be stopped. Stay within the speed limits, enjoy the trip and you will have no problem.

Agree in general, but in my experience the bypass around Khorat is one place where you may be stopped for no real reason. I was pulled with the accusation 'wing laow', when I was only doing about 60kph (having spotted a figure lurking under some trees in the distance). Of course, some would say that Khorat is not really Isaan. I've also fallen foul of one Khon Kaen officer who insisted on 200 rather than 100 baht (for stopping beyond the white line at a traffic light junction in a grid- lock situation). A number of Thai friends have advised me that it is best to appear to speak no Thai in these encounters, since there would be the hassle of the paperwork etc if it was decided to charge you. In my opinion the exception may be if you have a reasonable public sector job, where solidarity within the 'luang' (civil service) may cut in. When I worked in a Thai university I escaped payment on several occasions by saying that I was on my way to teach.

Old member but first posting 'baan nok' with this sort of thing, but on a slow learning curve so expect more from me. For now just wanted to say a friend and I in a pickup truck were stopped en route Roi-et to Mukdahan. Police demanded 200 baht but accepted the 100 my friend offered. Would add that we were not guilty of any infringement.

Thanks for everybody's posts. This reminded me of a time I was pulled over while in Chiang Mai. Helmeted, not speeding, the cop that I stopped by looked me over, then took a walk around the bike where he found what he needed. "Motorcycle.... no good." With pointing I was made to understand that the bike's registration was expired.

"Sorry. It's my friend's motorcycle." Smile.

"Motorcycle friend you?"

"Yes, sorry." Smile.

The he said something in Thai/English to the fact that the bike should be properly registered. I agreed that the bike's registration was certainly in a sorry state of affairs, no doubt impugning my friend's good character in the process. Finally the conversation lapsed into awkward silence. I was ready to pay a hundred or two, but he never asked and I never offered. Finally, with a wry grin, he waved me on my way.

I've been stopped more times than I care to remember. I have never paid more than 100 baht and I never speak a word of Thai. Someone before mentioned the posted speed limit. I probably have but don't thnk I remember seeing a speed limit sign, but I've had cops tell me they will give 120 on tollways and 110 on divided roadways. I usually keep it on 110 and even then apparently when their money is short they get me for driving in the passing lane too long, like 1 second after I have just passed a truck. TIT

I found the trip from BKK to Roi-et to be a pleasure to drive. However, i don't think i would be tempted to drive it at night.

What appears to be an open road in front of you, may not be :o

Or maybe i'm just a chicken :D

Regards

Jaiyenyen