Thai Driving Licience

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but where can I apply to get a Thai driving licience from and would it benifit me seeing as I already have a international one.

if you are on a non-immig. O or A visa then the international is no good, so you will need a Thai drivers license,I don't know where you are so I can't tell you where to go, but it is the DMV license office.

by already having a int. license there is some of the test that you will not have to take,I can't tell you which part because anytime you go to do anything here it is up to them what you have to do,,but you will need a doctors Ok on a medical form.Your passport and your visa. and a certification of your place of residence.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but where can I apply to get a Thai driving licience from and would it benifit me seeing as I already have a international one.

if you are on a non-immig. O or A visa then the international is no good

To expand on what Kevin says, an international driving permit (IDP) may be no good for insurance purposes :o . Rumours have it (but I have no evidence) that if you make an insurance claim for damages to your vehicle, the insurance company may tell you to "go away" if you don't have a Thai driving license. It is not too difficult to get, especially if you have an IDP, as Kevin says - having the IDP enables you to NOT take the driving test, but you do have to take the colour blindness test (which is 60 seconds of recognising numbers in a book).

I got both licenses recently (motorcycle and car), but could not have done so without the help of my Thai g/f as the application forms are written in Thai.

Use the "Search" button on this forun - lots of threads. :D

Does this mean that color-blind folks (such as myself) can't get a license? In the US, if you fail the "book" test, they ask you you separate small pieces of cloth by color, red, green and yellow predominate this test (which I can pass). Is there something similar in Thailand? Thanks.

Does this mean that color-blind folks (such as myself) can't get a license?  In the US, if you fail the "book" test, they ask you you separate small pieces of cloth by color, red, green and yellow predominate this test (which I can pass).  Is there something similar in Thailand?  Thanks.

I'm afraid I just don't know what happens if you fail this test. Maybe someone else can let us know? :o

Does this mean that color-blind folks (such as myself) can't get a license? In the US, if you fail the "book" test, they ask you you separate small pieces of cloth by color, red, green and yellow predominate this test (which I can pass). Is there something similar in Thailand? Thanks.

When you get a medical certificate for the D/L don't go to a 'good doctor'. Doctors at Bumrungrad etc will do a real color vision test and will not issue a medical certificate even if you show them that you can distinguish between red/green/yellow etc. I went to three Bumrungrad doctors who refused to give me a medical certificate because my color vision is slightly defect.

The test at the DMV is (or was a few years ago) just a big board with red, green and yellow dots of varying sizes that you had to correctly identify. I think some asshat doctors interpret the law differently than the DMV.

Anyways, aside from Thailand I have never heard of a country where you need perfect color vision to drive a car.

Does this mean that color-blind folks (such as myself) can't get a license?  In the US, if you fail the "book" test, they ask you you separate small pieces of cloth by color, red, green and yellow predominate this test (which I can pass).  Is there something similar in Thailand?  Thanks.

I'm afraid I just don't know what happens if you fail this test. Maybe someone else can let us know? :o

I can't speak for everywhere in Thailand but in Chiangmai they use a version of the "Ishihara" colour test.

It is a large white board with a round section with a whole lot of coloured dots.

You stand about six paces from the board and they use a pointer to indicate a particular dot which you then have to identify the colour of.

I was having some difficulty (and have an identified degree of "colour blindness")

They had the board facing away from the windows so I was looking at the board and also into the light from the windows.

I told them (politely this time) that it was a poor set up, so they allowed me to go into the area where the board was positioned and they turned the board so that it was now at right angles to the window.

Now (with a bit of luck on my side) I managed to get the colours right.

The test of using pieces of cloth is much more realistic and one in which the majority of guys (colour blindness being very rare amongst the other half i.e. females) would pass without difficulty.

My comment is that like most everything else in the kindom this is an antiquated and outdated means of determining ones level of colour perception.

Just another case of TIT

Furthermore I have (or have had) drivers licences in New Zealand, Australia, Middle East, Caucasas region and Thailand is the only place requiring a colour vision test.

And the whole business (requirement) of having the colour test is a bit of a joke because 50% of the traffic lights are not functioning anyway.

And when they are they usually have the red one at the top, amber in the middle and green at the bottom so whats the point of (need for) a colour test anyway :D

"if you are on a non-immig. O or A visa then the international is no good, so you will need a Thai drivers license"

I know you need a Non-O to get the thai license, but is it required to get one? Every country I've been to may issue you a license but they don't require it if you have a valid IDP. I've also been a couple of places, the PI and Panama, where the cops knew that your own countries license was much more important to you so they wanted it, vice the IDP, because if they held onto it they hade more power over you.

"an international driving permit (IDP) may be no good for insurance purposes . Rumours have it (but I have no evidence) that if you make an insurance claim for damages to your vehicle, the insurance company may tell you to "go away" if you don't have a Thai driving license."

The insurance companies have absolutley no say in whether your IDP license is "good or no-good" The Thai Govt decides this. That doesn't mean a crooked insurance company wouldn't try any scam they think might save them money to get you to go away.

It would be good to know if, as KevinN say, that if you get a Non-O visa your IDP is no longer valid and you are required to get a Thai license. This could affect quite a few people.

"if you are on a non-immig. O or A visa then the international is no good, so you will need a Thai drivers license"

I know you need a Non-O to get the thai license, but is it required to get one? Every country I've been to may issue you a license but they don't require it if you have a valid IDP. I've also been a couple of places, the PI and Panama, where the cops knew that your own countries license was much more important to you so they wanted it, vice the IDP, because if they held onto it they hade more power over you.

"an international driving permit (IDP) may be no good for insurance purposes  . Rumours have it (but I have no evidence) that if you make an insurance claim for damages to your vehicle, the insurance company may tell you to "go away" if you don't have a Thai driving license."

The insurance companies have absolutley no say in whether your IDP license is "good or no-good" The Thai Govt decides this. That doesn't mean a crooked insurance company wouldn't try any scam they think might save them money to get you to go away.

It would be good to know if, as KevinN say, that if you get a Non-O visa your IDP is no longer valid and you are required to get a Thai license. This could affect quite a few people.

I am sure it is not necessary to have a Thai license in order to drive in Thailand - the police should be satisfied that you are carrying your national license.

But a mate of mine read or heard that some insurance companies have a clause in the "small print" that their policy is only valid for drivers with Thai licenses. That's why he got his IDP and subsequently got his Thai license. I did the same to be on the safe side :o

I'll try to track down the source of what my mate told me.

Meanwhile, maybe Kev could tell us why he said that the IDP "was no good". I assumed he meant from the insurance point of view. :D

IDPs are issued by contract countries in accordance to the repsective laws of your own country and the rules of convention on road traffic 1926, 1949 and 1968.

Thailand joined the 1949 Convention on 15 August 1962 as contracting party. Thailand issues the 1949 International Driving Permit. Any 1949 International Driving Permit issued by other contracting parties is valid in Thailand.

However, Thailand's delegate signed the 68-Convention on 8 November 1968 in Vienna, but the Thai Government hasn't ratified it so far. So, as far as I know, IDP issued under the 68-convention are not valid in Thailand.

(Doubt on a casual check any police officer will know the difference, but you never know.)

Another thing, the IDP is only valid in conjunction with your valid national licence.

So in layman speak, it is just a translation of your licence, legagalwise you must produce both. The idea behin is to allow temprarily to drive a car as visitor.

The IDP is issued for a validity of 1 or of 3 years. (Some countries only one)

I don't think the visum as such has something to do with the validity of the IDP, it more depends on your actual status of living in the country. One could imagine, once you initial Non-immigrant visa is change to a long term permission to stay e.g. non imm O or B extented to allow up to one year, than it would be time to get a local licence.

Might be a lawyer could verify this.

I mentioned before, I once was involved in a minor accident in a European country, driving with my hme licence. No problem but a compliment by the prosecutor for my knowledge of the local lingo. He found out that I stayed in the coountry for 3 years, my licence was suspended for 1 month for drinving without a valid one, and I had to take the test to make the local licence. I am sure Thailand has similar laws somewhere.

Some references to driving in Thailand and insurance:

This one says "Some Insurance companies will put in fine print in Thai that you must be the holder of a CURRENT DRIVERS LICENSE which means a THAI DRIVERS' LICENSE not an international to claim insurance if you have an accident":

http://www.asiatradingonline.com/thaidriving.htm

The last post here spreads the same rumour:

http://www.khonkaen.com/english/forum/foru...ID=408&get=last

But in this one, QBE insurance company says that an IDP is OK:

http://www.phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=372

I now remember why I got my Thai licenses - too many conflicting rumours and not enough hard facts!

I will shortly be arriving in Thailand on a Non-Imm-O visa, and currently hold a British (EU) driving license but no separate International License.

I will definitely need to drive whilst living in Thailand, and would appreciate clarification regarding the requirement for a Non-Imm-O visa in order to apply for the Thai Driving License.

Am I right in thinking this must be an extended 1 year Non-Imm-O visa? Or are you able to apply immediately upon arrival in Thailand whilst holding the initial 3 month Non-Imm-O visa?

Thanks

Rags

A non-imm is sufficient for applying. So you can do it immediately upon arrival. Check the Thai Visa main site for addresses of the office in charge for your residence or hotel-address.

Check here for documents required, from that link can also search for the address.

http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

An IDP is required, if you only want to do the color test.

And than, may be you are lucky, first time I applied, the nice lady in white told me, they only accept US- UK and International licences. This is Thailand.

She was not happy when I showed an IDP issued in Hong Kong, but finally accepted.

Thanks Axel

Just to clarify - If applying on the basis of the initial 3 month Non-Imm-O visa, the Thai Driving License issued should actually be valid for 1 year - correct?

As for the colour test, I think that I will try my luck and smile a lot in the hope that they will accept the British License in lieu of the IDP :o

Rags

Thanks Axel

Just to clarify - If applying on the basis of the initial 3 month Non-Imm-O visa, the Thai Driving License issued should actually be valid for 1 year - correct?

As for the colour test, I think that I will try my luck and smile a lot in the hope that they will accept the British License in lieu of the IDP :o

Rags

Yes Rags, first time will be for 1 year.

After that extention for 5 years.

Smile, bring along photocopies of p/port, visa in the passport etc. Must be signed by U. Doctor's cert. and address confirmation.

Always lot's of papers, may be you are lucky.

I don't test when i get my license, get mc, car and tuktuk fom my eu standard card, but I need colourblindtest from a doctor, and a lot of copies of adressconfirmation, passport, drivinglicense, non o visa. Before i get the thai driving licence they check me again with a colour blindtest. The blindtest was a book with numbers. I don't have International drivinglicense, only the eu standar and I have to arguing a little and tell them that my card is a inernational license. They gave me the license after the blindcolourtest. I think it is very easy if you have an International dl.

It also depend where you live. In Isan Is very easy.

I will shortly be arriving in Thailand on a Non-Imm-O visa, and currently hold a British (EU) driving license but no separate International License.

I will definitely need to drive whilst living in Thailand, and would appreciate clarification regarding the requirement for a Non-Imm-O visa in order to apply for the Thai Driving License.

Am I right in thinking this must be an extended 1 year Non-Imm-O visa? Or are you able to apply immediately upon arrival in Thailand whilst holding the initial 3 month Non-Imm-O visa?

1.) An International Drivers Licence must have been issued outside of the country for which it is being used. You get one in Thailand and it is only valid ourside of Thailand.

2.) Yes you can apply upon entering on your initial 90 day Non-Immi "O" Visa rather than waiting for the extension. I did and was approved. :o

I am sure it is not necessary to have a Thai license in order to drive in Thailand - the police should be satisfied that you are carrying your national license.

Definitely NOT correct.

You must have a IDP or a Thai licence, or an Asean country licence to drive in Thailand.

All other national licences are not legally accepted here.

If you have a Non Imm visa then get the Thai licence.

Thai driving licence: You need a non immigrant visa to apply, if you do not have a full licence from your home country plus the appropriate IDP, you must sit all the tests, most of which you can 'buy' help with in completing :o

Driving in a country with IDP: You are legally allowed to drive in a country with your IDP for up to 3 months at a time. If you do not leave whatever country you are in every 3 months, you must obtain a local licence.

Hire car companies are required by law to supply full insurance, plus a right to waive the excess by paying a premium, and you WILL BE COVERED in the event of an accident, if you have been in the country for less than 3 months at the time of the accident whilst driving on an IDP, or you have a local licence.

To get the Thai licence without tests, get doc cert from local clinic, letter of residence from embassy, and your licence, IDP, passport etc, and present yourself at the appropriate DMV for your district. Take someone with you to make things quicker. From memory the bike licence is still 80 baht, car is 120 baht. 5 yr licence is optional for Farangs at 1000 baht? not sure on this as havent been to apply for this one yet!

• 2 weeks later...
Driving in a country with IDP: You are legally allowed to drive in a country with your IDP for up to 3 months at a time. If you do not leave whatever country you are in every 3 months, you must obtain a local licence.

To get the Thai licence without tests, get doc cert from local clinic, letter of residence from embassy, and your licence, IDP, passport etc, and present yourself at the appropriate DMV for your district. Take someone with you to make things quicker. From memory the bike licence is still 80 baht, car is 120 baht. 5 yr licence is optional for Farangs at 1000 baht? not sure on this as havent been to apply for this one yet!

This post confirms what I thought - which is that when you get stamped at the airport (permit to enter), you can drive on the IDP with no issues, and the police have no problem as you're not yet "staying" in Thailand.

However, once you reach the 90 days and go to immigration to extend (permit to stay), you should be driving on a Thai licence, not the IDP as you're now living in Thailand as far as the police are concerned.

Went about 1½ months ago and got mine. Embassy letter, doctor's note, IDP, UK licence, money and photo - and it was fairly painless. - Although it was useful that my wife already knew where the place was (division 4 in Nong Chok - I would never have found it), and you need someone with you who knows Thai... - if only to understand which queue you have to go to next.

Definitely NOT correct.

You must have a IDP or a Thai licence, or an Asean country licence to drive in Thailand.

All other national licences are not legally accepted here.

If you have a Non Imm visa then get the Thai licence.

Thanks astral, I stand corrected. There are three factors that contributed to me believing that a UK license is acceptable in Thailand:

1. Avis (rent-a-wreck) hired cars to me 5 times without ever asking to see an IDP - they accepted my UK license every time

2. Two times I was stopped on a bike - and the men in brown accepted my UK license both times (no tea money required)

3. I can't believe all the tourist farangs I see riding bikes have IDPs!

But you are dead right. Must have IDP or Thai license.

Take someone with you to make things quicker. From memory the bike licence is still 80 baht, car is 120 baht. 5 yr licence is optional for Farangs at 1000 baht? not sure on this as havent been to apply for this one yet!

One year car licence.......105 baht Five year licence.........505 baht

RDN, tourists can use an IDP, which by rules must be supported by the national licence of the issuing country.

Rental companies are happy to rent out a car and most are willing to stretch the rule. The problem you might have is in case of an accident, driving with your home country's licence (without IDP) means legally driving without a valid licence.

The police in LoS accepts nearly every piece of paper, for their own convinience. It does not make it legal.

For your own peace of mind, get a Thai-licence, it is not so difficult.

Somebody said, you better bring a Thai speaker. Since the beginning, years ago, I went by myself. At the entrance of each office is a counter where the girls are very helpful, fill in the application for you and point you to the right counter. Sometimes they ask for 5 Baht, give a bit more, they smile, I smile :o

One thing I really love ion LoS, not only the smile, the willingness to help, even in government offices.

RDN, tourists can use an IDP, which by rules must be supported by the national licence of the issuing country.

I understand Axel, it's just that I didn't think so many tourists would bother getting an IDP before they come here, so I assumed they were riding on their national license. :D

Rental companies are happy to rent out a car and most are willing to stretch the rule. The problem you might have is in case of an accident, driving with your home country's licence (without IDP) means legally driving without a valid licence.

Indeed, and the insurance company may well say you are not covered for insurance purposes when they discover that you don't have an IDP or Thai license.

The police in LoS accepts nearly every piece of paper, for their own convinience. It does not make it legal.

For your own peace of mind, get a Thai-licence, it is not so difficult.

Again, I understand and got both the motorcycle and car licenses recently - 55 baht and 105 baht respectively.

Somebody said, you better bring a Thai speaker. Since the beginning, years ago, I went by myself. At the entrance of each office is a counter where the girls are very helpful, fill in the application for you and point you to the right counter. Sometimes they ask for 5 Baht, give a bit more, they smile, I smile  :D

I took my girlfriend. I've written about my experiences at "Phuket Provisional Land Transport Office" :D on another thread. The biggest problem there was that the staff were completely overwhelmed by the number of people wanting licenses. Why don't they give 10 year or lifetime licenses? Maybe they do, but judging by the number of people there, about 1/365 of all the motorcyclists in Phuket apply every day!

One thing I really love ion LoS, not only the smile, the willingness to help, even in government offices.

Maybe... :o

My Thai drivers licenses are up for renewal next week. Anyone know what  I need to bring to the motor office for renewal?

Bring your most convincing big smile and

Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

Two small photos

Your old Thai driving license.

You should be ok and should get 5 years' licences.

• 2 weeks later...
My Thai drivers licenses are up for renewal next week. Anyone know what  I need to bring to the motor office for renewal?

Bring your most convincing big smile and

Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

Two small photos

Your old Thai driving license.

You should be ok and should get 5 years' licences.

Sorry but this is incorrect information - at least for the Chonburi motor office in Pattaya.

The correct information can be found on the Pattaya City Expats Website

In my opinion IDP's are a scam (at least in UK they are). All you need to obtain an IDP is your original home country licence and a photograph. The reason they were "invented" was to be a translation of your home country licence (i.e. which vehicles you are allowed to drive) and to provide photographic evidence that it is your licence. As far as I am aware, IDP's issued in the UK do not have a Thai translation, therefore are completely useless here if you have your home country licence and your passport.

However, I'm with the majority here - get a Thai licence.

Does this mean that color-blind folks (such as myself) can't get a license?

When I did my test they had a board with lots of coloured spots on it.

They pointed to three in turn and asked me to identify them.

Predictably they were red, yellow and green.

Nowadays they use the numbers embedded in lots of coloured spots.

It was from that that I realised that my stepson is colour blind.

He still passed the test!!