New Visa Rules And Regulations

For you that are complaining about the recent changes to the visa rules and regulations, YOU only have yourself to blame! For over 20 years the rules and regulations pertaining to visa's did not change, or changes were so minor that we did not notice them. Then, 2001 arrives and we have seen constant change in these rules and regulations. Why is that?

When I found ThaiVisa several years ago I thought that this would be my one source for information regarding the many types of visa's, documentation required, monetary considerations, etc. However, as the years went by I found that reading ThaiVisa became a confusing and contradictory mess on 'Visa Rules and Regulations'!

I originally assumed (Yes! I know.) that ThaiVisa would provide the 'official' Thai government visa rules and regulations - which they did and continue to do. BUT that is where the confusion begins! By allowing all the 'expert' (Tom, Dick and Harry's) TV members to present their individual comments about rules and regulations that are not under their control to change; by allowing TV members to 'explain' how they have circumvented the various rules and regulations; by allowing TV members to post their individual likes and dislikes; etc., ThaiVisa 'opened the door' to all the changes that we see today. Do YOU think WE are the only ones that read these postings?

What I find disturbing is that all the 'New' rules and regulations seem to apply only to the Western-European(Caucasian) population of Thailand.

Example: Many months ago I was at the immigration office to gather information. In walks a Chinese gentleman who hands over his passport. He is handed a single form which he enters the required information and hands the form back to the immigration officer. Within 5 minutes he hands over 500 baht, his passport is stamped and returned to him. There was a Thai woman with him. I asked what he was doing. Applying for his 1 year extension she says.

Is this the standard practice or procedure for all non-Caucasians residing in Thailand?

Could it be that OUR collective Western-European(Caucasian)'WE or ME' 'attitude' and 'OUR' collective 'expertise' have created all of 'OUR' own problems with new regulations and new rules by the Thai Immigration department! Many TV members over the years of ThaiVisa's existence, have had their say regarding anything and everything remotely pertinent to Thailand and Thai laws - especially, visa laws/rules. Ever consider that 'EVERY' posting to ThaiVisa is read by Thai officials at many levels of government? Ever consider that we may well be despised by these officials because of our perceived 'expertise' about everything and anything. Ever consider that 'what you say' is affecting ALL of us that have retired or wish to live in Thailand? Ever consider, as far fetched as this may seem (or is it!), that ThaiVisa was set-up by officials of the Thai government?

As has been pointed out many times, we are 'guest' in Thailand and must respect the rule of law of Thailand. If Thailand feels that it is necessary to change rules and laws regarding 'visas', that is their right. Whether 'WE' like the new rules and regulations is not for us to say. WE all want to be made aware of new rules and regulations - BUT we 'should not be writing' these new rules and regulations. By 'OUR' suggestive comments and 'OUR' expressed desire to find ways around the visa rules, 'WE' are collectively writing the new visa rules and regulations. What is the answer? Try keeping 'OUR' collective mouth shut! 'Stop shooting ourselves in the foot' - sooner or later it will start to hurt.

I hope that Admin and George will read this in a positive way. Did ThaiVisa inadvertently 'opened a can of worms' by allowing people to post their comments regarding the Thai visa rules and regulations?

This section of ThaiVisa should only be a closed forum and only used to provide 'official' information regarding 'Visa rules and regulations;' 'blocking all comments' regarding these rules. I firmly believe that the new rules and regulations of the recent past are the direct result of comments made in ThaiVisa. And, allow no comments regarding visa rules and regulations in any other sub-forums.

Not allowing comments regarding Thailand visa rules and regulations would defeat the purpose of ThaiVisa! Not at all. "Official' Thai Rules and Regulations should/must be posted so that we are all made aware of changes (BUT no comments - Please!). There are many other sub-forums that have information that is unique to Thailand and very informative.

With respect to chiangrai57020 I can agree with much of what you say but surely the strength of a forum such as this is open debate. There are many rule changes in Thailand that appear to affect "some of the people, some of the time."

TV is a good place to ask for clarification and share experiences with other people who also "have retired or wish to live in Thailand". I have certainly learned much from it but always "consider the source". There are cetain knowledgeable people who, when they post, I sit up and take notice.

As for the matter of who reads the Forum, I beleive that as long as one is respectful and courteous, it really shouldn't matter if those in Government know what I think. I will stand by any posting of mine and happily show it to the authorities because I am either asking for information or replying in what I hope is a positive and polite manner. If there are those who wish to "flame" or abuse, then the Moderators can do their job - as they do. Having said that, I will admit that it must be a daunting task keeping up. Thank you Mods! :o

So IMHO, please keep up the good work TV and to chiangrai57020 I say "I may not share your opinion, but I defend your right to hold (and air) it."

Edited by VBF

Could it be that OUR collective Western-European(Caucasian)'WE or ME' 'attitude' and 'OUR' collective 'expertise' have created all of 'OUR' own problems with new regulations and new rules by the Thai Immigration department! Many TV members over the years of ThaiVisa's existence, have had their say regarding anything and everything remotely pertinent to Thailand and Thai laws - especially, visa laws/rules. Ever consider that 'EVERY' posting to ThaiVisa is read by Thai officials at many levels of government?

What is the answer? Try keeping 'OUR' collective mouth shut! 'Stop shooting ourselves in the foot' - sooner or later it will start to hurt.

You're loosing your nerves.

I mean : what is this paranoid rant ?

Do you really believe (well apparently yes you do) that the guys at the Immigration are reading ThaiVisa in order to get some new ideas ?

I mean : a bit of humility. And common sense.

And furthermore, they don't need us to know what to do. It seems that they follow a plan, on the long term, to reduce the number of foreign residents in Thailand.

But I really don't believe it's because of what we write or not write here...

Interesting theory....

On the other hand an optimist might say they read the postings see the dissatisfaction and try and make it better. Depends whether you think people are inherently good or bad. Let's face it, though ... if they're out to get you, they're out to get you. It won't just be because of what you say, it will be because of how you look, and how you act, or maybe someone smiled at you and made them jealous...

Just extending your theory a little...

Nobody say anything. Nobody write anything. Nobody communicate anything. Then the world won't change... You hope

Would you also consider hiding yourself away in a cave away from daylight where no-one can find you...

Thai visa does not nor has never encouraged the circumventing of rules or any laws in Thailand. An I am member 400 and something.

That is not the point as far as I can see.

TV is a very useful forum as it tells people what their rights are, and aren't and to share experiences in accordance with the laws. While we have a few disapointed souls here, in the main people get clarity here as to how to navigate a complex bureacracy, and probably taken a load off immigration folk who were constantly having to explain things to poor punters.

As for Thai visa rules not changing, oh boy have they changed a lot from 1980 until now - mostly for the better.

By allowing all the 'expert' (Tom, Dick and Harry's) TV members to present their individual comments about rules and regulations that are not under their control to change; by allowing TV members to 'explain' how they have circumvented the various rules and regulations; by allowing TV members to post their individual likes and dislikes; etc., ThaiVisa 'opened the door' to all the changes that we see today. Do YOU think WE are the only ones that read these postings?

I agree with you wholeheartedly. So much of what is written in the various TV forums is so disparaging of Thais, Thai government officials and Thai immigrations regulations that you would have to be extremely naïve to assume that none of it filters back to the people who set regulations and to those who implement policy. And yes, people have commented about getting around rules and finding loopholes and abusing relaxed implementation of visa rules in these forums.

Quite aside from that, obviously there are Thai people who read things posted here, whether they are officials or not. So many comments that are made are blatantly racist and must be offensive to them. The same people who make these comments also claim they feel unwanted or unloved in Thailand. Big mystery there. If you think this way about Thais and Thailand, it undoubtedly shows in your attitude and behaviour. That people resent you, or at least that you perceive yourself to be resented, can hardly be a surprise.

There may be some value in allowing people to report their experiences when dealing with Immigrations, in addition to posting official information, but all the emotional commentary that follows serves no purpose. If someone goes through the process for extending a retirement visa, then reporting the experience, without histrionics, benefits readers. If that message is then followed by all sorts of negative comments and contradictory advice from people who haven’t a clue, it may be a form of entertainment for them, but it’s hardly worthwhile.

Even posting unsubstantiated rumours about changes that may happen really serves no purpose, other than to ramp up negative comments, since more often than not the rumours prove to be nothing more than that.

Definitely the abuse of visa runs and the games people played with the B800,000 in the bank have resulted in changes. Most likely those changes, and others, were implemented more quickly thanks to all the "experts" and commentators on TV.

If you think some obscure forum is having an effect on the direction and implementation of visa policies in a sovereign nation it is time to remove the tin foil hat and reassess your position on the planet. Often times, a president or prime minister is unable to redirect a governmental bureaucracy even in positive manners. To think that a bunch of computer literate geeks that make up less than 1% of the farang population could cause change simply beggars belief.

The reason that this forum has exploded with discussion about conflicting and obscure regulations is because there has been an explosion of conflicting and obscure regulations. If I were to guess, it is because the leaders of the country fell out of power about two years ago and the country lost overall direction. When that happens, the fiefdom chiefs all interject their personal inanity into applying the regulations and chaos ensues.

We are seeing chaos everywhere in the government, from the airport administration to visa rules to the commerce ministry. For almost two years it has been chaos theory in action, and you want us to believe that some computer literate fluent english forum geek at the top of Thai Immigrations wants to put the screws to all farangs in Thailand because of some idiotic ranting by the permanently strange posters here on Thaivisa? Bit of a stretch what?