Whats Do The Thais Really Think Of Us Farangs

Grover

If we break the Thais down into low, middle and high class, and the Farangs into rich, normal and "farang kee nok" class, and from all these different angles/permuntations, what do the Thais really think of us ?

Or if that is too complex, what do they think of us ? What are the stereotypes and whats behind the smiles ? :o

NOT A LOT !pauldaniels2.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we break the Thais down into low, middle and high class, and the Farangs into rich, normal and "farang kee nok" class, and from all these different angles/permuntations, what do the Thais really think of us ?

Or if that is too complex, what do they think of us ? What are the stereotypes and whats behind the smiles ? :o

The well educated ones are very jealous of what we have.

Money. They just can’t stand it, it eats them up.

If some old, fat, bald, ugly Farang has a load of cash,

it does them in. they think you don’t deserve it, even if you have worked twice

As hard and twice as long as they ever will.

Take the money issue out of the equation and the Thais are lovely people

------------------------

I personally like this evaluation the best.

However, having traveled to Thailand since 1971 and having been married to a "upper middle class"

Thai Chinese woman for close to eight years, my conclusion is that we are nothing more than "back round music" for them.

Kind of like what you hear in an elevator. They couldn't be interested less in what we say or think.

And yes they do think most of us are smelly and generally loud and gross.

If they didn't think that we are nothing more than walking wallets they would be lovely people.

These days I've only got one use for them and that doesn't even count right now because I've got a very nice girlfriend.

Don't kid yourself we are simply canon fodder.

At best we are cattle to be bled slowly then slaughtered. Hopefully in a quick fashion.

Among other Asian women Thai woman have the reputation of being the most mercenary to seek out and destroy their farang partners.

Hey I don't make this stuff up it's just what I've been told... :D

I think their is often a feeling that it is unfair that a farang can have more money than them for doing so little except being Farang (no matter how nice / stupid / clever / clean! he or she is) - even for those who do realise that Mr Rich Tourist only appears rich in Thailand and back home is a peasant........

My proof?.........IME a Thai does tend to enjoy a Farang landing on his (or her) a#se......a bit TOO much........kinda like the Canadians and the Yanks (before the Yanks became the poorer of the 2 :o ).

The well educated ones are very jealous of what we have.

Money. They just can't stand it, it eats them up.

If some old, fat, bald, ugly Farang has a load of cash,

it does them in. they think you don't deserve it, even if you have worked twice

As hard and twice as long as they ever will.

Take the money issue out of the equation and the Thais are lovely people

------------------------

I personally like this evaluation the best.

However, having traveled to Thailand since 1971 and having been married to a "upper middle class"

Thai Chinese woman for close to eight years, my conclusion is that we are nothing more than "back round music" for them.

Kind of like what you hear in an elevator. They couldn't be interested less in what we say or think.

And yes they do think most of us are smelly and generally loud and gross.

If they didn't think that we are nothing more than walking wallets they would be lovely people.

These days I've only got one use for them and that doesn't even count right now because I've got a very nice girlfriend.

Don't kid yourself we are simply canon fodder.

At best we are cattle to be bled slowly then slaughtered. Hopefully in a quick fashion.

Among other Asian women Thai woman have the reputation of being the most mercenary to seek out and destroy their farang partners.

Hey I don't make this stuff up it's just what I've been told... :D

perfect answer

"It’s clear that Bangkok seems to engage a lot of people on some genuinely emotional level, and that it pisses some of them off deeply whenever anyone says anything about the place that differs in even the slightest from their own personal perceptions. A remarkable number of foreigners here see themselves as the self-appointed guardians of ‘the truth about Bangkok,’ and they sneer loudly at anyone who sees things differently or who may have a different perception of the place. They swell up at you like you’d insulted their girlfriend. I don’t get it. Really I don’t. This is a great place to live for a lot of reasons, and I’m very fond of it, but I don’t intend to marry it. "

~~~~Jake Needham

Why is everyone so "class obsessed".

EARRGH

I think their is often a feeling that it is unfair that a farang can have more money than them for doing so little except being Farang (no matter how nice / stupid / clever / clean! he or she is) - even for those who do realise that Mr Rich Tourist only appears rich in Thailand and back home is a peasant........

My proof?.........IME a Thai does tend to enjoy a Farang landing on his (or her) a#se......a bit TOO much........kinda like the Canadians and the Yanks (before the Yanks became the poorer of the 2 :o ).

Yeah, well, let's face it -- if most of us were born in Thailand instead of in our respective countries, how well would we do? In farangland, it's easy to live off the "fat of the land" -- there is so much, if you make a modicum of effort, you'll do ok. If you come from a country with any kind of social security, by doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you are already better off than most of the world's population, and things can only improve if you work, invest, are clever. It's much harder to succeed in a poor country with little infrastructure, bad education, corruption, etc.

I drive on safe roads that I've never built, I have free medical care that I've never fought for, I can vote, get abortions, go to good schools, I have political and personal rights, there's currently no war in my backyard -- really, none of these have anything to do with my personal merits.

Not to take away from anyone's success, but I have no illusions that so much of what I have is simply by virtue of winning a genetic lottery this time around. I don't blame people for thinking this is unfair -- it is. Of course, people improve or worsen their situation by working hard, being smart, being strategic, innovative -- whatever, but this is ever so easier if you're starting with five million dollars, figuratively speaking, than with five cents.

It's not about feeling guilty, guilt doesn't help anyone. But I can't help but think that farang in Thailand could benefit from adopting, perhaps not a noblesse oblige attitude, but at least a certain graciousness, compassion and generosity that befits those more fortunate.

Edited by canadiangirl

Many're full of themselves and often time overestimated their self-worth or self-importance in the eyes of many thais outside the entertainment industry.

---------------------------

Well said... :o

PS

Outside of beautiful temples and nice monks, there is nothing outside the "entertainment industry"

At least not for any more.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned what they are taught to think about us, as that is how the majority form their opinions before they have a chance to meet a Westerner, if they ever do, other than seeing one of us in a shopping mall or walking past us in the street.

It's overwhelmingly negative I'm afraid.

---------------------------------

YA THINK!... :o

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned what they are taught to think about us, as that is how the majority form their opinions before they have a chance to meet a Westerner, if they ever do, other than seeing one of us in a shopping mall or walking past us in the street.

that might be, but who the EFF cares?

that might be, but who the EFF cares?

------------------------------

I've found we usually like each other better without clothes on... :o

So if you were Thai, how would describe the stereotypical farang to your children ?

Many here describe Thais in a very stereotypical manner, so how would Farangs be seen in a stereotypical manner ?

Yeah, well, let's face it -- if most of us were born in Thailand instead of in our respective countries, how well would we do? In farangland, it's easy to live off the "fat of the land" -- there is so much, if you make a modicum of effort, you'll do ok. If you come from a country with any kind of social security, by doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you are already better off than most of the world's population, and things can only improve if you work, invest, are clever. It's much harder to succeed in a poor country with little infrastructure, bad education, corruption, etc.

I drive on safe roads that I've never built, I have free medical care that I've never fought for, I can vote, get abortions, go to good schools, I have political and personal rights, there's currently no war in my backyard -- really, none of these have anything to do with my personal merits.

Not to take away from anyone's success, but I have no illusions that so much of what I have is simply by virtue of winning a genetic lottery this time around. I don't blame people for thinking this is unfair -- it is. Of course, people improve or worsen their situation by working hard, being smart, being strategic, innovative -- whatever, but this is ever so easier if you're starting with five million dollars, figuratively speaking, than with five cents.

It's not about feeling guilty, guilt doesn't help anyone. But I can't help but think that farang in Thailand could benefit from adopting, perhaps not a noblesse oblige attitude, but at least a certain graciousness, compassion and generosity that befits those more fortunate.

I am very happy for you CC,for having been able to live off the "Fat of the Land",having made a modicom effort,and are now doing OK.I agree its harder in a poor country, where the population does not fight to better their lot.This is not a Farang problem.Maybe you should of made a greater effort in your own country by giving it service,in joining the military for a few years instead of taking everything for granted.Maybe you should to have had a job as a laborer to help to pay for your schooling,as I did.Isn't it smug to contemplate your free health care, which you had to do absolutely nothing for.In my country(USA) this is not available,even for us who did military service.It must also be wonderful to get a start in life with 5 million,figuratively speaking of course.Unfortunately I didn't have the 5 cents your speaking of.As a young man, I thought many times that such a thing is unfair,then I grew up.You should by all means feel guilty,and adopt a noble and obliging attitude,with a compassionate and gracious generosity,which will benefit those less fortunate than you.Please get back to us and let us know how your doing,with these new goals in your life.

They couldn't be interested less in what we say or think.

SPOT ON!

I think they view us a dog excretement,as long as they see it and can walk around it it s not a problem, if they step in it it causes some some discomfort and embarrasment,.I remember once a thai ladys 2-3 year old was crying and the mother says to the baby, stop crying or ill send you off with the farang !,..However on a serious note, i have ridden off road motorbikes all over thailand for fun and in competition and i find the people out in the country to be very nice and unlike the milking machines seen everywhere in bkk /pattata these people will give you anything with no thought of return,.im afraid it is pattaya and the likes that cause these usually good people to turn bad, the same as happens to most of the farang that stay there,.dont forget these country girls that have had no education,never been anywhere and generally have no common sense are accused of taking all are usualy taking off a well travelled educated ,travelled farang, so who really is the stupid one ?,...again in pattaya a well known thai saying is "farang stupid ",.im afraid in most cases im inclined to agree,i have a friend ( word used loosely )that has been coming to thailand for 7 years, he has never been anywhere other than pataya,and all he does is run the thais down,he has reached the age of 62 and is still an @sshole im afraid basing his judgements on pattayas inhabitants,..IM afraid of nearly all the farang ive met in and around pattaya id rather mix with thais,.

Another self-conscious, touchy-feely, "what do they really think of us" introspection thread then? Great.

Does anyone really care what they think??? :o

I do, it keeps me awake at night .

Brit when are you back in Pattaya, lets get hammered with Roger in Soi 6, I love that Soi!!

<br />
They couldn't be interested less in what we say or think.<br /><br />SPOT ON!
I think they view us a dog excretement,as long as they see it and can walk around it it s not a problem, if they step in it it causes some some discomfort and embarrasment,.I remember once a thai ladys 2-3 year old was crying and the mother says to the baby, stop crying or ill send you off with the farang !,..However on a serious note, i have ridden off road motorbikes all over thailand for fun and in competition and i find the people out in the country to be very nice and unlike the milking machines seen everywhere in bkk /pattata these people will give you anything with no thought of return,.im afraid it is pattaya and the likes that cause these usually good people to turn bad, the same as happens to most of the farang that stay there,.dont forget these country girls that have had no education,never been anywhere and generally have no common sense are accused of taking all are usualy taking off a well travelled educated ,travelled farang, so who really is the stupid one ?,...again in pattaya a well known thai saying is "farang stupid ",.im afraid in most cases im inclined to agree,i have a friend ( word used loosely )that has been coming to thailand for 7 years, he has never been anywhere other than pataya,and all he does is run the thais down,he has reached the age of 62 and is still an @sshole im afraid basing his judgements on pattayas inhabitants,..IM afraid of nearly all the farang ive met in and around pattaya id rather mix with thais,.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Too true but I wouldnt say "all" in Pattaya. MY wife's friends see farangs in a generally positive way maybe because like you say they dont mix with the Pattaya crowd.

Another self-conscious, touchy-feely, "what do they really think of us" introspection thread then? Great.

Does anyone really care what they think??? :D

I do, it keeps me awake at night .

Brit when are you back in Pattaya, lets get hammered with Roger in Soi 6, I love that Soi!!

Nov - Only if we drag Gary along..... :o

Edited by britmaveric

it doesn't have to be like that, just want to know what we are up against, information is power....

C'mon Groover, it ain't that bad in Thailand.

If you have lived in Thailand for a signifigant period of time you will become jaded, I understand that, I'm the same, but it's still a good place to go and I don't know any better alternatives.

IMO, the guys that appreciate it the most are those that work in Jobs that send them away for a 2 - 3 months, then they get time off 6 weeks - 2 months, they appreciate Thailand more plus earn the money to have a choice of destinations.