Home Made Meat Loaf

thaigerd

Couple of weeks ago I've bought 2 slices of meat loaf from a (farang) butcher but not very happy with his product.

So I started looking around this week to get the ingredients for making my own meat loaf, here is my result:

I've used:

Pork neck, 1,8 Kg

Beef(local), 200g

Ice cubes 400g

Nitrite brine salt, 2%

Meat loaf spice, 10g

Cut the meat in cubes, marinate with the salt and meat loaf spices for a couple of hours.

Mince the meat, put into a blender with adding the ice cubes.

Bake for 45 minutes at 160* heat, finish.

gallery_2733_531_123237.jpg

gallery_2733_531_147635.jpg

gallery_2733_531_346108.jpg

gallery_2733_531_307786.jpg

gallery_2733_531_215780.jpg

gallery_2733_531_299730.jpg

gallery_2733_531_339883.jpg

gallery_2733_531_124362.jpg

gallery_2733_531_107459.jpg

gallery_2733_531_115691.jpg

May be I start teaching my wife to do meat loaf and than 1 day per week selling them freshly baked some where :o

180.- for a 500g piece freshly baked is ok?

Gerd

Meatloaf is an extremely versatile dish. The ground meat is frequently mixed with breadcrumbs, small pieces of bread soaked in milk (or red wine or another liquid), wheat germ, or oatmeal, and eggs in order to make it more dough-like. Salt, herbs and spices (such as parsley), as well as chopped vegetables (such as onions, green peppers and celery), may also be added. Another variety of meatloaf is prepared by frosting it with mashed potatoes, drizzling it with a small amount of butter, and browning in the oven. Some people like to add strips of bacon on top. Furthermore, meatloaves may be filled with eggs, cheers, vegetables, herbs, mushrooms, or a combination of these ingredients. Meatloaf is best eaten with some kind of sauce or relish. The dish can be considered Italian (it is a cousin to the meatball), or even soul food.

They look good! You should have tried this long before you got some' bad stuff from that butcher.

180 bhts for 500g. Hmm. For me, I'll buy as long as it's as good as its look.

Looks good to me TG, but I have one question for you.... You're so good and intense about making real food for yourself, why would you add a preservative when there is no need for it ? You could make this a whole natural food and put no nitrites in it at all. For your own consumption, a meatloaf can last up to a week or so if refrigerated after cooling down.

I am not one of those that gripes about MSG or most things in food when eating out or buying from a store. But when possible to avoid the addition of such a thing, such as home cooking, why would you add it ? I'm surprised you did this.

Looks good to me TG, but I have one question for you.... You're so good and intense about making real food for yourself, why would you add a preservative when there is no need for it ? You could make this a whole natural food and put no nitrites in it at all. For your own consumption, a meatloaf can last up to a week or so if refrigerated after cooling down.

I am not one of those that gripes about MSG or most things in food when eating out or buying from a store. But when possible to avoid the addition of such a thing, such as home cooking, why would you add it ? I'm surprised you did this.

It's about colour and taste, but I agree with your comments, thanks!

The next one will be without nitrites, promised.

Gerd

Looks great Gerd, I haven't cooked meatloaf for years but my recipe included soft white bread crumbs.

Also had a recipe where it was used as a base in a pie dish, topped with a layer of pasta and good tomato sauce then grated cheese and chopped bacon. The base had to cooked almost to completion first then the toppings added and the whole lot finished in the oven. Almost like a giant pizza.

Must be twenty years now.

This is some kind of weird-azz foreigner meatloaf and it tastes like Spam, not real American style meatloaf. Please don't bother with this fake "meat loaf" unless you are from Europe or some place like that. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

This is some kind of weird-azz foreigner meatloaf and it tastes like Spam, not real American style meatloaf. Please don't bother with this fake "meat loaf" unless you are from Europe or some place like that. :o

15 years experience have given me the insight that besides good steaks there's no edible "american" foodstuff available in the Greatest Nation on Earth™. bread, sausages, cakes = yuckish jokes.

:D

Go to San Francisco and ask someone where Mission Street and 16th is. Buy a super-burrito at any shop in this neighborhood.

Relish some of the best food that you will ever eat in your life!

Afterwards, shoot downtown to any branch of Just Deserts and buy the world's best cinnamon roll with some excellent coffee to dunk it in. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Real meatloaf. Nothing like the hotel variety.

From about.com.

-------------------------------

Meatloaf has long been a standard main dish in America, and according to John Mariani in "Encyclopedia of American Food And Drink," was first seen in print as early as 1899. For many, meat loaf is an ultimate comfort food, bringing back pleasant childhood memories of family meals.

There are many ways to cut the calories and enhance the flavor of ordinary meatloaf, from tasty additions to spicy toppings. Ground round is a great choice if you're using beef for your meatloaf, since excess fat in fattier ground meats is absorbed by breadcrumbs. Use soft bread crumbs in place of dry for a moister meatloaf, or substitute grated potato or carrots for a portion of the meat, which will also eliminate some of the calories. Baking the meatloaf on a rack will keep it out of the fatty drippings. Sharon Tyler Herbst, author of "The Food Lover's Tiptionary," describes a method for making your own meat loaf pan by piercing holes in an inexpensive loaf pan then setting it on a rack in a larger baking pan.

Another great thing about meatloaf is that you can bake it in the oven, microwave, electric roaster, or crock pot. Truly, the only limit is your imagination! If Mom's basic meatloaf has lost its appeal, try one of this recipe

or create your own with some of the tips below.

Enjoy!

Tips and flavor-enhancing ideas:

# For more flavor and a juicier meatloaf, add about 1/4 cup of tomato juice, wine, or broth for each pound of meat.

# Bake in muffin tins or mini-loaf pans for individual servings.

# Use leftovers sliced in sandwiches or crumbled in sauces or chili.

# Replace some of the liquid in the recipe with red wine or dark beer.

# Add a cup of grated or shredded cheese to the meatloaf and top with more cheese about 10 minutes before it's done.

# Replace liquids with red wine or dark beer.

# Make the finished meatloaf extra fancy by frosting with mashed potatoes and topping with cheese; return to the oven and cook until the cheese is melted.

This meatloaf is packed with flavor, and it's delicious served with salsa.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 pound ground beef, lean

* 3/4 to 1 pound ground veal

* 1 egg

* 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs

* 1 can (approx. 4 1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives

* 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chili pepper

* 1 cup corn kernels

* 1/2 cup salsa, plus more for topping

* 1 teaspoon onion powder

* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

* 1/8 teaspoon pepper

* 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients except topping in a bowl and combine until blended. A wire potato masher works well for mixing meatloaf. Pack into a loaf pan and bake at 350° for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Serves 8.

No need for some german wired hazelsomethingorother, or ice cubes. This is the real meatloaf. I may do it with ground pork, as the wife does not eat beef. So I make two. A small one for her with pork and a large one for me.

Enjoy!

Edited by El Taco Loco

Real meatloaf. Nothing like the hotel variety.

From about.com.

-------------------------------

Meatloaf has long been a standard main dish in America, and according to John Mariani in "Encyclopedia of American Food And Drink," was first seen in print as early as 1899. For many, meat loaf is an ultimate comfort food, bringing back pleasant childhood memories of family meals.

There are many ways to cut the calories and enhance the flavor of ordinary meatloaf, from tasty additions to spicy toppings. Ground round is a great choice if you're using beef for your meatloaf, since excess fat in fattier ground meats is absorbed by breadcrumbs. Use soft bread crumbs in place of dry for a moister meatloaf, or substitute grated potato or carrots for a portion of the meat, which will also eliminate some of the calories. Baking the meatloaf on a rack will keep it out of the fatty drippings. Sharon Tyler Herbst, author of "The Food Lover's Tiptionary," describes a method for making your own meat loaf pan by piercing holes in an inexpensive loaf pan then setting it on a rack in a larger baking pan.

Another great thing about meatloaf is that you can bake it in the oven, microwave, electric roaster, or crock pot. Truly, the only limit is your imagination! If Mom's basic meatloaf has lost its appeal, try one of this recipe

or create your own with some of the tips below.

Enjoy!

Tips and flavor-enhancing ideas:

# For more flavor and a juicier meatloaf, add about 1/4 cup of tomato juice, wine, or broth for each pound of meat.

# Bake in muffin tins or mini-loaf pans for individual servings.

# Use leftovers sliced in sandwiches or crumbled in sauces or chili.

# Replace some of the liquid in the recipe with red wine or dark beer.

# Add a cup of grated or shredded cheese to the meatloaf and top with more cheese about 10 minutes before it's done.

# Replace liquids with red wine or dark beer.

# Make the finished meatloaf extra fancy by frosting with mashed potatoes and topping with cheese; return to the oven and cook until the cheese is melted.

This meatloaf is packed with flavor, and it's delicious served with salsa.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 pound ground beef, lean

* 3/4 to 1 pound ground veal

* 1 egg

* 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs

* 1 can (approx. 4 1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives

* 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chili pepper

* 1 cup corn kernels

* 1/2 cup salsa, plus more for topping

* 1 teaspoon onion powder

* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

* 1/8 teaspoon pepper

* 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients except topping in a bowl and combine until blended. A wire potato masher works well for mixing meatloaf. Pack into a loaf pan and bake at 350° for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Serves 8.

No need for some german wired hazelsomethingorother, or ice cubes. This is the real meatloaf. I may do it with ground pork, as the wife does not eat beef. So I make two. A small one for her with pork and a large one for me.

Enjoy!

:o:D :D :D :D wannabeteacher's recipe :bah: :bah: :o;)

My meatloaf (from the tradition mentioned by Taco Loco):

ground pork from Foodland (the cheap stuff--pretty lean already--yeah, the wife is non-beefeater so the half beef half pork recipe has died)

bread crumbs

finely chopped onions

shredded carrots

salt

pepper

Shape into a two humped loaf--looks like a B when you slice it (the middle cooks faster this way and the humps are the size of a slice of bread, more on this later).

Bake in a high oven for 45 minutes to an hour depending on my mood and when the top looks scrumptious and a dog barks twice.

Eat with a baked potato. Gravy optional but nice, specially mushroom gravy.

But the real reason for meatloaf? Sandwiches the next day!!!!!!!! The bestest sandwiches ever in the world. Thickish slices of meatloaf, tomato is a key ingredient, nice bread, lettuce is nice, onion, mustard, nice dollop of mayo but don't go overboard on the extra ingredients--the main players are the meatloaf and tomato with a strong mayo/mustard support.

If you are not impressed by my exact measurements above, drop by my house on meatloaf night (I have a feeling it's coming soon because of this thread) for more detail.

Go to San Francisco and ask someone where Mission Street and 16th is. Buy a super-burrito at any shop in this neighborhood.

Relish some of the best food that you will ever eat in your life!

Afterwards, shoot downtown to any branch of Just Deserts and buy the world's best cinnamon roll with some excellent coffee to dunk it in. :D

General Grant Sir... with all due respect :o ,

a burrito is not "american" but mexican (although Mexico is located in North America). whether one likes the huge soft cinnamon rolls is a matter of taste. personally i think they contain too much air and not enough "roll". as far as the average coffee -served in "the States"- is concerned it is similar to the liquid i get if i pour hot water in a cup out of which i had real coffee. exception was coffee at Starbucks. i flew quite often Delta and always carried my instant espresso with me, puzzling the flight attendants by asking for a cup and hot water. much later (from 2000 onwards) the brownish liquid served on Delta which was called "coffee" improved and it was somehow drinkable without too much disgust.

of course there is excellent food available in the GNoE™ but what is good is not indigenous. it's still called jewish, mexican, cuban, chinese, german etc.

of course there is excellent food available in the GNoE™ but what is good is not indigenous. it's still called jewish, mexican, cuban, chinese, german etc.

You ever eaten a super-burrito in Mexico?

America is a nation of immigrants, so of course there is no indigenous cuisine other than maybe buffalo stew which is pretty good when you can find it.

It is not the safest of positions, to get between a German and his meat. Even if it's what we would call "mystery meat".

This is some kind of weird-azz foreigner meatloaf and it tastes like Spam, not real American style meatloaf. Please don't bother with this fake "meat loaf" unless you are from Europe or some place like that. :D

It is not the safest of positions, to get between a German and his meat. Even if it's what we would call "mystery meat".

because it could lead to a duel (heavy sabres, sunday at dawn, location my back yard)!

:o

American cuisine is much like Australian, it had a bad reputation up to the the 1970's, very much meat and three veg... overcooked, until people started discovering that the food the migrants cooked actually tasted good and started patronising their restaurants.

A few smart chefs began working on a fusion of a lot of these foods and giving them a new taste with traditional local ingredients and the results in many cases have been amazing.

It's nice to have a meal that is traditionally German, or Italian, or Dutch if you originate from that country but if you spurn all other recipes you're missing out on some real culinary experiences.