Indian Food

BossHogg

with the earliest balti houses being remembered as having newspapers used instead of table cloths. Indeed some of the more traditional establishments still have a plastic cover over the tables with the menus secured underneath.

Now you have to have been around for a while to remember that.

Indian food never really caught on in Australia but I remember a few fish and chip cafes that had their menus presented thus.

this is what i'd like to get my hands into! pure rice, fish curry, chicken/mutton varuval on banana leaf indulgence. malaysian/ south indian.

too used to northern indian cuisine, love the curries of south india; madrasi, keralite or Goa'n.

yes i am sure she finished it.

When I'm in Singapore i go to my favorite hawker center who do that dish for $5.00 Sing (about 120 baht) superb..

I believe something like that would do really well here.. :o

forgeT Singapore go half price at Kuala Lumpur Malaysia for your next visa run and be mesmerised. Check out all the different reviews on different stalls around KL. Thats where I am at right now for the next 10 days btw :D

I lived in KL (Little India) for 6 months back in 97. You are spot on about that. But i don't go to Singers just for a visa run, more for work. I still prefer my little Singapore gem, as i think their produce itself is better (fresher)..

Making me hungry now. Think I'll go and check out MB's directions and check out the Hinlay Curry joint.. :D

Edited by Austhaied

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a post from MB about adding it to the Tuskers menu.

No my post CB it was a suggestion by Austhaied. May do curry night special on a friday next month though since there seems to be some demand

Curry night at Tuskers? put my name down! sounds a great idea mate.

We tried that around 2 months ago and although it was OK we both tasted the heinz tomato sauce/ketchup in it..

Austhaied, please allow me to remind you of the forum rules:

Dustoff, being a frequent poster and having invested heavily in the Heinz company by being a frequent customer of KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut among other quality food establishments who support the Heinz conglomerate has the right to use any goddamn ketchup he chooses without being subjected to humiliating, degrading comments as to his taste, or lack thereof.

I know where you live - don't make me come over there... :o

I love tomato sauce i swear (Heinz in particular)..but only on meat pies and sausage rolls.. :D

Err honey, let's go out for a while, maybe a year or so...

nah I love Watties tomato sauce, beats the pants off Heinz.

Nowhere else in the world is Tomato Sauce sold in cans, yet this is New Zealand's most popular packaging!

One can of WATTIE'S Tomato Sauce is sold every 11 seconds in New Zealand- amazing considering NZ has a population of only 4 million.

kiwi cusine in a can :D

spacer_white.gif

post-15912-1192862425.txt

Edited by Donnyboy

We tried that around 2 months ago and although it was OK we both tasted the heinz tomato sauce/ketchup in it..

Austhaied, please allow me to remind you of the forum rules:

Dustoff, being a frequent poster and having invested heavily in the Heinz company by being a frequent customer of KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut among other quality food establishments who support the Heinz conglomerate has the right to use any goddamn ketchup he chooses without being subjected to humiliating, degrading comments as to his taste, or lack thereof.

I know where you live - don't make me come over there... :o

I love tomato sauce i swear (Heinz in particular)..but only on meat pies and sausage rolls.. :D

Err honey, let's go out for a while, maybe a year or so...

nah I love Watties tomato sauce, beats the pants off Heinz.

Nowhere else in the world is Tomato Sauce sold in cans, yet this is New Zealand's most popular packaging!

One can of WATTIE'S Tomato Sauce is sold every 11 seconds in New Zealand- amazing considering NZ has a population of only 4 million.

kiwi cusine in a can :D

spacer_white.gif

Is it BYO Watties-in-a-can at a NZ hangi ??

Now theres a great idea for a CM piss-up..

post-31110-1192863138_thumb.jpg

Has anyone tried the Pakistani restaurant off Loi khro? cant remember the name but has a green sign offering Punjab food?

no, but where bouts on loy khroy is it?

sorry to be crap but i dont know the name of the road! anyway, go down loi kro until you get to the crossroads ( imperial mae ping on your right, straight on to the night bazar) turn left and it would be about 100 meters on your left.

Has anyone tried the Pakistani restaurant off Loi khro? cant remember the name but has a green sign offering Punjab food?

no, but where bouts on loy khroy is it?

sorry to be crap but i dont know the name of the road! anyway, go down loi kro until you get to the crossroads ( imperial mae ping on your right, straight on to the night bazar) turn left and it would be about 100 meters on your left.

Down a small soi just after (before?) a temple. Tables are set in a small area in front of guesthouse rooms but very good food.

Hinlay is great and they do masala tea.

I used to go to Royal India along Charoenpratet but it closed. Food was UK style but the place was very grotty. Wipe your feet on the way out type of place.

The 2 in Anusan are OK. I feel the one next to the Irish pub is slightly better. Both go for arabic influenced Indian food.

The vegetarian Indian down soi 9 moonmuang is good for masal dosas but their Thalis are a little bland. i once used the upstair toilet (downstairs is/was really bad) and there was an old blind Indian woman tied to a bed on the first floor. best not to ask questions as my food hadn't arrived yet.

There are undoubtedly people who can produce authentic Indian fare in CM, but possibly the Thai lack of interest in this cuisine (some Thais think it "dirty" :o ) makes a restaurant a difficult business proposition. However it's very evident there are numbers of foreigners hankering for some genuine Indian tucker.

Could one good chef be hired by several different establishments, who could offer "Indian night" on different days of the week ?

I noticed somewhere that The Pub has Indian lunches on offer one day a week.

Edited by WaiWai

There are undoubtedly people who can produce authentic Indian fare in CM, but possibly the Thai lack of interest in this cuisine (some Thais think it "dirty" :o ) makes a restaurant a difficult business proposition. However it's very evident there are numbers of foreigners hankering for some genuine Indian tucker.

Could one good chef be hired by several different establishments, who could offer "Indian night" on different days of the week ?

Many are dirty ..... I think the Thais have watched the backdoor kitchens somehow .

I did in one and it was disgusting to watch , cockroaches walking all over the place .

it really did, maybe that was just a bad example , Indian food can be a nice change .

The last time I ate a very pleasant good Indianmeal was in Vientianne , was a very good looking

little more classy for what you see in Thailand restaurant . yummie .

Many are dirty ..... I think the Thais have watched the backdoor kitchens somehow .

I did in one and it was disgusting to watch , cockroaches walking all over the place .

it really did, maybe that was just a bad example , Indian food can be a nice change .

The last time I ate a very pleasant good Indianmeal was in Vientianne , was a very good looking

If it's class and superb cuisine your after then try any of these 6 restaurants next time you're in Bangkok.

Akbar is my favorite in all of the Kingdom.

http://www.discoverythailand.com/directory...ars_bangkok.asp

Edited by Austhaied

There are undoubtedly people who can produce authentic Indian fare in CM, but possibly the Thai lack of interest in this cuisine (some Thais think it "dirty" :D ) makes a restaurant a difficult business proposition. However it's very evident there are numbers of foreigners hankering for some genuine Indian tucker.

The last time I ate a very pleasant good Indian meal was in Vientiane , was a very good looking

If it's class and superb cuisine your after then try any of these 6 restaurants next time you're in Bangkok.

Akbar is my favorite in all of the Kingdom.

http://www.discoverythailand.com/directory...ars_bangkok.asp

Thanks for the advise and link .

I really appreciate that .

Always good to find out what where is , especially in bangkok , where I do not come often .

Actually I will go in December , so I might have a look at Akbar . :o

Tried Hinlay Curry House today for the first time. Fantastic food in a nice quiet garden setting. The hanglay pork curry was great, the vindaloo even better.

Just when i thought i had given up on Chiangmai for a decent Indian feed. :o

Excellent news.I will be trying it very soon...any Indian beer available? No naan breads i believe? Thats a shame but if its as good a vindaloo as you say i can forgive them. Surprised id never heard of this place before MB suggested it. Perhaps they dont realise how popular Indian food is with falang, ive never seen them advertise. Any more thoughts on a curry night at Tuskers MB?

There are undoubtedly people who can produce authentic Indian fare in CM, but possibly the Thai lack of interest in this cuisine (some Thais think it "dirty" :D )

Yes ive found that with some Thais before.Ive suggested going for Indian with Thai friends before , which resulted in looks of horror and claims that Idian food smells awfull. :o Truth is you can say that about some Thai food too. :D

Kuala Lumpur[/b] Malaysia for your next visa run and be mesmerised. Check out all the different reviews on different stalls around KL. Thats where I am at right now for the next 10 days btw :o

Why not just go down to Penang then for a combination visa run and Indian food binge, the old school visa run before Mae Sai became an option.

For the same price as a trip to Penang you could just stay in CM & try out the restaurant at the Chedi. OK, it's not quite that expensive but the Indian food I've had there was really good, especially the fish tikka. The atmosphere is great too. And as opposed to most restaurants in Chiang Mai (aside from the Duke's), the Chedi at least serves a lot of food - I've left completely stuffed every time I've gone.

...and this Chedi would be where?

go down Sridonchai road.At the bottom when it meets Charoen Prathet you will see The Chedi straight in front of you . Ive never tried the restaurant but will go now i hear they do Indian.....id always been told it was really expensive.Anyone confirm that?

Edited by BossHogg

It is a really expensive hotel, so pretty good chance that the restaurant will be too.

I wouldn't mind paying a lot if I could be fairly sure that I would like it, but every time I get a recommendation for Indian food in Thailand, I go there with high hopes, only to be disappointed. :o

It is a really expensive hotel, so pretty good chance that the restaurant will be too.

I wouldn't mind paying a lot if I could be fairly sure that I would like it, but every time I get a recommendation for Indian food in Thailand, I go there with high hopes, only to be disappointed. :o

I make the assumption the restaurant will be pricey too.....i agree its worth paying more if its good .

UG have you tried the Hinlay ? ive heard good reports of this one.

No, but I want to try there and Le Spice. The problem is that I have been dissapointed so many times in Thailand that it's hard to get up enough enthusiasm to try them out.

I had GREAT luck with Indian food in Hanoi when I lived there for a year and pretty good luck in Luang Prabang and Vientienne.

We took clients there for dinner and it is expensive. The restaurant decor etc was very nice but to be honest I was disapointed with the food. It was well cooked and nicely presented but to my mind quite bland and uninspiring. I don't think it was worth the cost and would not recommend it to anyone as a great restaurant.

CB

At last a truly important forum to an Englishman.

IMO the best Indian in CM was the Rock n Kebab run by a couple of non turban Sikh friends of mine. Very tamada surroundings though although a step up from normally gross India. I gave them suggestions to do it up nicely and it would certainly have been the best in CM but it closed and I still miss the palak paneer and garlic naan. RIP.

THere's another place with desperate surroundings but good Indian food near the hospital just before Wualai. Very nice owner.

I shall look forward to trying Hinlay.

At last a truly important forum to an Englishman.

IMO the best Indian in CM was the Rock n Kebab run by a couple of non turban Sikh friends of mine. Very tamada surroundings though although a step up from normally gross India. I gave them suggestions to do it up nicely and it would certainly have been the best in CM but it closed and I still miss the palak paneer and garlic naan. RIP.

THere's another place with desperate surroundings but good Indian food near the hospital just before Wualai. Very nice owner.

I shall look forward to trying Hinlay.

I rode past Rockin' Kebab the other night on the way home and it looks like it is being closed up or refurbished?

I did't know they did Indian Food there - I got a couple of pizzas there and a kebab but that's all. Nothing remarkable about either.

CB

Clarifying Bold for CB. :o

IMO the best Indian in CM was the Rock n Kebab . . . it would certainly have been the best in CM but it closed . . . RIP.

I rode past Rockin' Kebab the other night on the way home and it looks like it is being closed up or refurbished?

We took clients there for dinner and it is expensive. The restaurant decor etc was very nice but to be honest I was disapointed with the food. It was well cooked and nicely presented but to my mind quite bland and uninspiring. I don't think it was worth the cost and would not recommend it to anyone as a great restaurant.

CB

Sounds like the Whole Earth restaurant. Expensive ingredients and it should be good, but its not quite right! :D