Arnt We A Strange Lot! Why Do Phuket People Hate Pattaya

funfun

what is it with us europeans and americans etc we settle here and we go on thaivisa.com and when some one asks about anything say, in bangkok, to vist, all pattaya people will do is slag it off ,as a rats nest and same with us all from samui phucket chang mai etc, we all seem to live in the perfect place and everyone else who dosent live there lives in a sh@thole!

just wondered!

All of the top places: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, and Chiang Mai have both strong negatives and strong positives. By trashing the other places, perhaps this serves as psychological reinforcement to self rationalize/justify putting up with the negatives of their choice? It indeed is not a pretty part of human nature. I love all of those places (maybe my insides are pretty?), but for me, Pattaya is the best fit, by far.

Edited by Jingthing

All of the top places: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, and Chiang Mai have both strong negatives and strong positives. By trashing the other places, perhaps this serves as psychological reinforcement to self rationalize/justify putting up with the negatives of their choice? It indeed is not a pretty part of human nature. I love all of those places (maybe my insides are pretty?), but for me, Pattaya is the best fit, by far.

psychological reinforcement to self rationalize/justify

now am i gonna have to google all that lot! :o

what is it with us europeans and americans etc we settle here and we go on thaivisa.com and when some one asks about anything say, in bangkok, to vist, all pattaya people will do is slag it off ,as a rats nest and same with us all from samui phucket chang mai etc, we all seem to live in the perfect place and everyone else who dosent live there lives in a sh@thole!

just wondered!

Snobs ?

This isn't limited to Thailand.

San Francisco and LA people trash each other.

Same with Sydney and Melbourne, and I am sure numerous other international examples.

Human nature, as Trink used to say, MANURE.

That's why the Aussies invented Canberra! :o

The rest of them are all jealous. They just wish they could live in Pattaya, but they know they can't handle it, so they slag it instead.

Compared to where I am now though, just about anywhere (outside of Iraq, Iran or the Sudan) seems like paradise !

This isn't limited to Thailand.

Agreed jingthing, we were at it all the time in England thumbing our noses up at the different surrouding cities.

Did some one say snobs?????????

Twas me, i can even remember two small towns in devon england 10 miles apart hating each other in the uk,must be an old tribal/terrotorial thing dating back to doomsday !.

The rest of them are all jealous. They just wish they could live in Pattaya, but they know they can't handle it, so they slag it instead.

Compared to where I am now though, just about anywhere (outside of Iraq, Iran or the Sudan) seems like paradise !

Or their wives wont let them live in pattaya :o Edited by mikethevigoman

It can happen between countries too.

Take Aust. and NZ for example, well not a good example as the Aussies do have every good reason to knock the Kiwis, like really...who calls an esky a chilli bin?

Yeah and thongs are sexy underwear but aussie`s try and wear them on their feet. :o

Take Aust. and NZ for example, well not a good example as the Aussies do have every good reason to knock the Kiwis, like really...who calls an esky a chilli bin?

Yeah and thongs are sexy underwear but aussie`s try and wear them on their feet. :D

What..??? :o

Or their wives wont let them live in pattaya :o

I know mine won't. An hour away from Pattaya or BKK is as close as allowed.

Because, truth be told, Phuket has no violence, there is no prostitution, all German restaurants serve fresh food, there is no overcharging and there is no double pricing.

Just like Pattaya then. :o:D

Except that there are also no tattood, beer swilling, shaven headed lager louts in Patters either.

Seriously, I think the reason others slag off Pattaya is that they are desperately trying to distance themselves from the sleazy side of the town. The best way, in their minds, to do that is to slag off the whole place, all it's inhabitants and anyone who visits there. It's like the folks who sound off about the guys who take up with bar girls, they are just protesting their innocense and cleanliness by dam_ning all that do indulge to the eternal fires of hel_l instead of just adopting an "up to them" stance.

I lived there twelve years and, whilst accepting that it aint everyone's cup of tea, loved the fact that there was so much to do around the area. I personally don't like Bangkok but I've never made a posting slagging the place off, well not to my memory anyway. (just in case one of the TV nitpickers searches all my posts to find any slight negative thing I've said about the place).

Here's some more examples at the municipal, provincial and national level:

Laguna Beach vs. Newport Beach (California)

Britain vs. France

California vs. New York State

Czech vs. Slovakia (Republic)

And the list goes on and on and on.....

Can't we all just get along? I have been in well over 60 countries worldwide, and lived for a time in some of them.

Every place has its unique treasures and benefits.....So for Patts, is it Jenny's? :o

Yeah and thongs are sexy underwear but aussie`s try and wear them on their feet. :D

What..??? :o

The Aussie thong...

thongs%20aust%20flag.jpg

Perhaps the thong bikini was named after the part of the thong that hold it on ya foot right?

Doesn't it look just like the bit of the G String that tries to cover the behind?

just wondered!

Because Pattaya people won't even bother to learn how to spell Phuket and Chiang Mai? :o