Penang Consulate

From this weeks Pattayatoday,not sure where they got this from.

Penang tightens visa rules again

Reports reaching Pattaya Today’s office suggest that the consulate general in Penang is having one of its periodic crackdowns on farang folk seeking a new Thai visa. One guy, who is married to a Thai and does voluntary work for a well known charity in Pattaya, ended up with a single entry tourist visa although he is used to a multiple entry non immigrant ‘B’ or ‘O’.

Another man was refused any kind of visa at all because, or so he was apparently told, he was ‘living’ in Thailand at the young age of 48. The implication was he was working illegally in Pattaya. However, he can still come in to Thailand by obtaining a 30 days’ stamp at the airport.

In each of the above cases, we are told, the applicant had the usual paperwork – Thai bank book, marriage documentation, letter from the charity or what have you. Old hands say that the new scrutiny reflects recent changes of personnel at the consulate. For all we know, the heavy handedness may be over by the time you read this.

The best advice for Penang is probably to go with a Pattaya tour company which “guarantees” a visa as part of the deal or, if you are travelling independently, to stay at a Penang hotel with a built-in visa service, say the Malaysia, the Waldorf or the Oriental. Regular Penang visa runners also speak well on Sharma Travel. All these are in the town centre: it’s not usually necessary to visit the consulate yourself.

Incidentally, if you must have a non immigrant visa, Penang is still your best bet in south east Asia. The consulates in Laos and Cambodia say they have a policy of not issuing them at all.

First time for a long while I have been to their website,very much improved

http://www.pattayatoday.net/index.php?newsgroup=1

The best advice for Penang is probably to go with a Pattaya tour company which “guarantees” a visa as part of the deal or, if you are travelling independently, to stay at a Penang hotel with a built-in visa service, say the Malaysia, the Waldorf or the Oriental. Regular Penang visa runners also speak well on Sharma Travel. All these are in the town centre: it’s not usually necessary to visit the consulate yourself.

^ Kind of like an advertisement isn't it?

Blimey,you guys having a bad day or what.

I posted it because its a subject that often comes up on this board,and is important to quite a few people who make this run,myself included,and any new info is helpful.So if your to lazy to search for the link on the one I gave you, here it is.

http://www.pattayatoday.net/index.php?acti...ype=news&id=590

You have to go to the bottom of the page to see the article.

chingy_

I don't want to appear thick(though I probably do)but what does MUM mean please.And thanks for putting it straight about the artical,just the writers own views i guess.

I'll be going again soon, so will find out about the situation at the present time.

• 4 weeks later...

I just came back from a visa run to Penang yesterday for a 3 month Non Imm O visa to restart my Thai wife Visa and I had no problems at all.

Can the moderator of this thread tell me if I am allowed to mention the agency which helped me, together with phone numbers, email and photo etc.

I have no connection with them at all other than arriving in Penang on Wednesday and getting my visa done.

The agent I went to took my passport in the afternoon rather than the Thursday morning and returned it to me on Thursday afternoon with the completed visa in 2 days rather than 3 as I went on Air Asia which gets in too late for the first day and leaves too early on the second day.

My visa cost me 200 MYR and I paid another 90 MYR for the service. If I had done it myself it would have taken the correct amount of time and I would have had to take a taxi on a return journey for 2 days and have had to do all the work myself.

There are just over 100 Baht for 10 MYR so it is a reasonable rate.

I stayed in a good hotel at 98 MYR inc breakfast.

If I allowed to post this information I will do so but if not and anybody needs it just PM me and I will give it all for free as it were.

Also this agent can get 3 month tourist visas as well I am told. :o:D:D

The story may sell newspapers, but the experiences detailed in this forum do not suggest that it has credence..

Married to a Thai, but only got a Tourist Visa..............???

Perhaps you should also read the thoughts of Stephen Hawking, posted in another area of the forum, about the way rumour becomes truth.

I too,just came back from a visa run to Penang,had no problems what so ever,was given a triple entry tourist visa,using an agent,could have had it in one day if I wanted(the next day),but had already booked hotel and flight for 3 days.

Stayed at the Sunway Hotel for B950 a night for a deluxe room,they also have rooms with free internet at B1200,nice hotel very clean and well run.

I only started the thread because I found it in the Pattaya mail,and thought it might be of interest,obviously the author got his facts wrong and I have e-mailed the Mail to point this out.

Took my thai girlfriend,but she hated the food,but enjoyed everything else.

billd766: I'm not sure if you mean "visa agent" (in Penang that is) when you mention visa agency. Anyway, there are so many of them so why just mention this one?

You can even have it before noon, you don't have to pay an agent to get it quick (the price for this is 60 ringit, I suppose the actual visa fee isn't included in that price). And it IS possible to catch the flight back to Bkk with Air Asia.

But, as I mention in the Trip to Penang thread, it's better to do it yourself. Even if you have to pay for the taxi. But, why not take the bus? It's not that difficult. Everyone around you are fluent in English and will gladly help you. After the bus trip it's a pleasant walk in a residential neighbourhood. (Ok, I just mentioned this for the guys not willing to pay for the taxi.)

For more information regarding visa trips to Penang, see this splendid thread:

Trip to Penang

Regarding the Bartender's reply, I suppose you mean "Pattaya Today", because that's what you wrote in the first place. Emailing Pattaya Mail won't do any good.

Regards,

Mike

The story may sell newspapers, but the experiences detailed in this forum do not suggest that it has credence..

Perhaps you should also read the thoughts of Stephen Hawking, posted in another area of the forum, about the way rumour becomes truth.

Astral

If you read the post again carefully on line one I said that I went for a Non Imm "O" visa and taht is what I got.

I also said that I had been told about the tousist visa but as I did not go for one I have no experience and cannot say if it is correct or not.

However if you feel that I am not correct in what I said you could always try it for yourself or speak to the Thai Embassy there.

Regards

Billd766

billd766: I'm not sure if you mean "visa agent" (in Penang that is) when you mention visa agency. Anyway, there are so many of them so why just mention this one?

You can even have it before noon, you don't have to pay an agent to get it quick (the price for this is 60 ringit, I suppose the actual visa fee isn't included in that price). And it IS possible to catch the flight back to Bkk with Air Asia.

But, as I mention in the Trip to Penang thread, it's better to do it yourself. Even if you have to pay for the taxi. But, why not take the bus? It's not that difficult. Everyone around you are fluent in English and will gladly help you. After the bus trip it's a pleasant walk in a residential neighbourhood. (Ok, I just mentioned this for the guys not willing to pay for the taxi.)

For more information regarding visa trips to Penang, see this splendid thread:

Trip to Penang

Regarding the Bartender's reply, I suppose you mean "Pattaya Today", because that's what you wrote in the first place. Emailing Pattaya Mail won't do any good.

Regards,

Mike

Micke

Thank you for the information that perhaps I could have used, but basically I am a bit lazy and I spent a lot of my time there just walking around and sightseeing etc.

The only reason I used the agent That I did was that I met a guy on the flight down and later in a bar having a beer and he took me there.

I have had 2 emails since asking for the information which I replied to and I hope that together with your and my information other people may have an easier time.

Thanks a lot.

I see from Bartender 100 that it is possible to obtain a triple entry tourist visa but as I wasn't looking for one I had no concrete information about them.

Billd766

Astral

If you read the post again carefully on line one I said that I went for a Non Imm "O" visa and taht is what I got.

I was refering to the 3rd paragraph of the original post.

Reports reaching Pattaya Today’s office suggest that the consulate general in Penang is having one of its periodic crackdowns on farang folk seeking a new Thai visa. One guy, who is married to a Thai and does voluntary work for a well known charity in Pattaya, ended up with a single entry tourist visa although he is used to a multiple entry non immigrant ‘B’ or ‘O’.

Astral

I was refering to the 3rd paragraph of the original post.

Astral

My apologies.

Billd766

billd766,

Just want to let you know paying 200MYR (visa) + 90MYR (service) is WAY TOO MUCH! I only pay 200MYR + 20MYR. It may sound little but considering its 1MYR=10Baht.. you do your math.

I believe he said that the extra payment was for 'express' service so it was likely 20 normal fee plus 70 overtime pay.

True true, however, I got my visa the following day as well! Handed it in Wed morning and got it back Thurs 2pm - costed me 220MYR. Think I got a bargain here.

Mark

I think you did get a bargain but I arrived on the Wednesday afternoon and saw the agent around 3pm and got my passport back on Thursday afternoon. I assume the extra cash was for "overtime".

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice.

There are a lot of "agents" about and I was happy with the service I got. It was my first time there and with the information that has come about since I think that I would still go back to the guy I went with this time as I was happy with the service I got.

I could probably have walked around and found someone else but I was there on a visa run and to relax for a couple of days. :D:o

I dont understand very well the problem of some folks on the site...

If you are married with a Thai national ( spouse ) you just need to get 400.000 bahts to get a 1 year visa extension in Thailand. Obviously, you dont must work in the country...

They dont want to have poor peoples, they have enough with their poor Thais...

If you want to work in Asia, you must go to the Philippines. Overthere, when you are married with a citizen you can legally work in the country...

billd766

What is the name of the road where the "Visa agent (s) " are located?

I mean to remember to have stayed in a hotel with name Grand Continental or...Continental, but have not been to Penang for at least four years.

But I remember that Shangri-la hotel was near to where I stayed.

Are the visa agents in that area? With other words near "Komtar"

Grateful for info because I probably will do the trip later on.

:o

I dont understand very well the problem of some folks on the site...

If you are married with a Thai national ( spouse ) you just need to get 400.000 bahts to get a 1 year visa extension in Thailand. Obviously, you dont must work in the country...

They dont want to have poor peoples, they have enough with their poor Thais...

If you want to work in Asia, you must go to the Philippines. Overthere, when you are married with a citizen you can legally work in the country...

I understand what you say about needing 400,000 baht to get a 1 year visa extension, however you have to get a Non Imm "O" visa from outside Thailand before you can apply for the Thai Wife Visa.

Also the 400,000 baht is a combination of income and money in the bank.

Also as far as I can understand if you have a Thai Wife Visa you can also work in Thailand as long as you have a work permit.

I did check this out with a friend from the Immigration Dept but he does not work in Suan Plu but out at the airport.

As with a lot of things in Thailand it is sometimes a case of one official differing from another and both believing that they are correct in their own views.

billd766

What is the name of the road where the "Visa agent (s) " are located?

I mean to remember to have stayed in a hotel with name Grand Continental or...Continental, but have not been to Penang for at least four years.

But I remember that Shangri-la hotel was near to where I stayed.

Are the visa agents in that area? With other words near "Komtar"

Grateful for info because I probably will do the trip later on.

:o

You stayed at Grand Continental if near Komtar but the guest house street is Lebuh Chulia which is near the other (North) end of Penang Street (East side). The very last hotel on Penang is Hotel Continental so it makes for a lot of confusion for taxis.

Juz incase anyone's interested - there's alot of new 'western style' guesthouses on Lebuh Chulia. It's also alot cheaper than Hotel Continental, Hotel Malaysia and Oriental Hotel.

Oh and try and avoid Hotel Oriental (the other end of Chulia rd). Stayed there last year, had the 'weirdest' experience there one night... not gonna try scare anyone off with the details.

Hello ,

Billd766 says:

I just came back from a visa run to Penang yesterday for a 3 month Non Imm O visa to restart my Thai wife Visa and I had no problems at all.

Do you know how is it to have a one year Non Imm O visa multiple entry?

I am french 45 y. not married but with 2 thai children. Two years ago I get this visas only showing the birthcertificate of my two sons and the tabien ban of my girlfriend. without showing bank account or anything else.

thanks to help me , I have to go to Penang in a few weaks.

Jacques

Hello ,

Billd766 says: 

Do you know how is it to have a one year Non  Imm O visa multiple entry?

I am french 45 y. not married but with 2 thai children. Two years ago I get this visas only showing the  birthcertificate  of my two sons and the tabien ban of my girlfriend. without showing bank account or anything else.

thanks to help me , I have to go to Penang in a few weaks.

Jacques

Hi Jacot 22

My case is a little different than yours as I am married (in England) with my Thai wife and I have the certified translation etc to prove it. I also have a copy of my sons birth certificate.

I suggest that you get the Thai consulate in Penang information, see below and email them to see what they can do for you.

PENANG

Royal Thai Consulate-General

No. 1, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman

10350 Penang

Tel. (60-4) 2268029, 2269484

Fax:(60-4) 2263121

E-mail : [email protected]

I spoke to them before I went and they told me what I needed to show and everything went off very well.

I hope that it works for you as well.

billd766