Penang Consulate

I dont understand very well the problem of some folks on the site...

If you are married with a Thai national ( spouse ) you just need to get 400.000 bahts to get a 1 year visa extension in Thailand. Obviously, you dont must work in the country...

They dont want to have poor peoples, they have enough with their poor Thais...

If you want to work in Asia, you must go to the Philippines. Overthere, when you are married with a citizen you can legally work in the country...

I understand what you say about needing 400,000 baht to get a 1 year visa extension, however you have to get a Non Imm "O" visa from outside Thailand before you can apply for the Thai Wife Visa.

Also the 400,000 baht is a combination of income and money in the bank.

Also as far as I can understand if you have a Thai Wife Visa you can also work in Thailand as long as you have a work permit.

I did check this out with a friend from the Immigration Dept but he does not work in Suan Plu but out at the airport.

As with a lot of things in Thailand it is sometimes a case of one official differing from another and both believing that they are correct in their own views.

Your information is correct Bill. Go for it. :o

lopburi3

You stayed at Grand Continental if near Komtar but the guest house street is Lebuh Chulia which is near the other (North) end of Penang Street (East side). The very last hotel on Penang is Hotel Continental so it makes for a lot of confusion for taxis.

Probably right. Any recommendations for a good hotel in Lebuh Chulia ,and are this visa agents really legal?

I mean, is it sure you don’t get any problems with the visa you get next time you need to use your passport/visa for official use or next time you leave Thailand!

Thanks & Regards

:o

Lebuh Chulia has no good hotels IMHO. Stay on Penang at Hotel Continental or one of the other real hotels if you want more than basic guest house accommodations. It is only a five minute walk or less. Cititel and Merchant Court should also be good hotels on Penang around the 1,000 baht mark and close to Chulia.

I dont understand very well the problem of some folks on the site...

If you are married with a Thai national ( spouse ) you just need to get 400.000 bahts to get a 1 year visa extension in Thailand. Obviously, you dont must work in the country...

They dont want to have poor peoples, they have enough with their poor Thais...

If you want to work in Asia, you must go to the Philippines. Overthere, when you are married with a citizen you can legally work in the country...

I understand what you say about needing 400,000 baht to get a 1 year visa extension, however you have to get a Non Imm "O" visa from outside Thailand before you can apply for the Thai Wife Visa.

Also the 400,000 baht is a combination of income and money in the bank.

Also as far as I can understand if you have a Thai Wife Visa you can also work in Thailand as long as you have a work permit.

I did check this out with a friend from the Immigration Dept but he does not work in Suan Plu but out at the airport.

As with a lot of things in Thailand it is sometimes a case of one official differing from another and both believing that they are correct in their own views.

Your information is correct Bill. Go for it. :o

Thanks Dr Pat

At least I got smething right for a change.

are this visa agents really legal?

I mean, is it sure you don’t get any problems with the visa you get next time you need to use your passport/visa for official use or next time you leave Thailand!

Thanks & Regards

:D

Missed the second part of your question. Yes, the visa expediters are fine unless they are not and then you have a problem. :o

What we know and avoid are the visa agents who take your passport and send it across international borders to obtain a visa without you doing any travel. This is not legal and has many dangers, not just to you but for security of countries. Never allow your passport to leave country without you having control of it.

The visa expediters you find around Penang and other locations just act as a delivery service to/from Consulate and 99% are fine and the visa you obtain will be fully legal and valid. And as you are the one taking the passport across boarder that stamp you know is legal.

Once in a blue moon there could be one of these who thinks it cheaper to make the stamp himself rather than pay Consulate; or has your passport over a weekend and lets someone cross a border with it. The risk is very small but not zero percent. It is really best to do it yourself.

are this visa agents really legal?

Thanks & Regards

:D

Missed the second part of your question. Yes, the visa expediters are fine unless they are not and then you have a problem. :o

What we know and avoid are the visa agents who take your passport and send it across international borders to obtain a visa without you doing any travel. This is not legal and has many dangers, not just to you but for security of countries. Never allow your passport to leave country without you having control of it.

The visa expediters you find around Penang and other locations just act as a delivery service to/from Consulate and 99% are fine and the visa you obtain will be fully legal and valid. And as you are the one taking the passport across boarder that stamp you know is legal.

Once in a blue moon there could be one of these who thinks it cheaper to make the stamp himself rather than pay Consulate; or has your passport over a weekend and lets someone cross a border with it. The risk is very small but not zero percent. It is really best to do it yourself.

Way way best.

Lebuh Chulia has no good hotels IMHO. Stay on Penang at Hotel Continental or one of the other real hotels if you want more than basic guest house accommodations. It is only a five minute walk or less. Cititel and Merchant Court should also be good hotels on Penang around the 1,000 baht mark and close to Chulia.

The Cititel was decent. It cost me around 1400 baht last Jan. It is very clean and cockroach free. I don't think you can say that about anything along Chulia St. It looked downright filthy and sleazy gazing at the accomodations along that lovely road