I Want To Send 10000 Gbp To Bangkok Bank

Hi

I want to transfer £10000 from my UK bank account to a bangkok bank account in thai.

I want to know if that amount is ok to send without any hassle and hidden charges from bangkok bank? Or is there a maximum amount you can send? I know i will have to pay my UK bank about £17 and bangkok bank between 200 to 500 baht to accept.

Also i guess i get the telex rate stated in this link on the day the money gets to the beneficary bank.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...tes/default.htm

many thanks

I am with HSBC and i do this all the time to my account in Thailand (Kasikorn Bank) they charge me around 900 baht for the service. I transfered 10000 not long ago and got a little worried when it had not came into my account 2 days later as it usually

only take's 1 day. I called the bank custumer service center to ask what the problem was, they said that they had recieved the money but i was required to go to the bank where my account was and sign for it. They say this has now got to be done for any transfer over 20.000 dollars or equivilent in other currencies.

Yes you will get the telex transfer rate.

Geordie

The money is going to my missus aunties account who lives in thailand.

I know about kasikorn bank requiring what you said about transfers of 20000 but i want to know if its the same with bangkok bank?

I guess if so then my wifes auntie has to sign for it??

Tomuk76, there’s only this I would like to add:

1. When giving your UK bank your payment order, which I presume you are doing online, indicate the reason for the payment in the field labelled “message for beneficiary” or “purpose” or something like that.

2. Because unfortunately that message often is not included in the communication that your UK bank’s computer sends to your Thai bank’s computer, you may still be required by your Thai bank to provide information about the purpose of the remittance.

3. Bangkok Bank’s fee is indeed “between 200 to 500 Baht”, as you said. Specifically, it is 0.25% of the remitted amount but minimum 200 Baht and maximum 500 Baht.

--

Maestro

Tomuk76, there’s only this I would like to add:

1. When giving your UK bank your payment order, which I presume you are doing online, indicate the reason for the payment in the field labelled “message for beneficiary” or “purpose” or something like that.

2. Because unfortunately that message often is not included in the communication that your UK bank’s computer sends to your Thai bank’s computer, you may still be required by your Thai bank to provide information about the purpose of the remittance.

3. Bangkok Bank’s fee is indeed “between 200 to 500 Baht”, as you said. Specifically, it is 0.25% of the remitted amount but minimum 200 Baht and maximum 500 Baht.

--

Maestro

4. Don't let the bank talk you into converting into baht in the UK before transferring. Insist on a Sterling transfer as the Thai banks' exchange rates are always better than the greedy western banks.

I would split that into two transactions as at current rate of exchange it is over $20,000 and would require intervention to avoid 30% going to the Bank of Thailand for a one year interest free rest. As you are not in Thailand and family likely not aware of such requirements they could be strung around by bank employees and to me the extra fee involved would be worth it. If I were in Thailand and sending to myself believe I would still pay the extra fees rather than depend on bank looking out for my best interests.

• 3 weeks later...