1st 90 Day Border Run

Hi all i,d like to ask the prosededure for my 1st 90 day border run to Muckdahan it expires 19/11/07, i have a Multi "o" have my own transport & going with my Thai Girlfriend, i do not want to visit Loes on this visit, only live about 2.5 hrs away in Roi Et, is it as simple as exit immigration & return or do you acctually have to enter loes & get a visa etc. :o

Thanks Shaun

Shaun, you'll have to park the ride at the bus station or somewhere and take a tuk-tuk

over the bridge. Friendship bridge 2 spans a considerable distance. From the point where

you get your Thai exit stamp to the Lao entry side is not something you can walk. Most

folks take the international bus but they are travelling onwards. To just go over and come

back you might want to get your own tuk-tuk. Lao visa-on-arrival is available and price

depends on your nationality. Unfortunately, border-run implies "crossing". :o

http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/

Shaun, you'll have to park the ride at the bus station or somewhere and take a tuk-tuk

over the bridge. Friendship bridge 2 spans a considerable distance. From the point where

you get your Thai exit stamp to the Lao entry side is not something you can walk. Most

folks take the international bus but they are travelling onwards. To just go over and come

back you might want to get your own tuk-tuk. Lao visa-on-arrival is available and price

depends on your nationality. Unfortunately, border-run implies "crossing". :D

http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/

Hi Cali have you any idea of cost of tuk tuk as i here they overcharge if they can, also i can not get info off Los website how much is visa for los i,m UK, i take it expires before my next 90 day visit :D so i take it immigration remove departure card from PP & you fill in new one when you come back just as you would at suwanabumi airport :o Sorry to ask what are probaly obvious questions its just we can,t afford any hold ups as we need to be back for kids from school if we can. I,m taking PP photos house book etc i beleve i can get a doc to show were i live good for purchase of car etc. Next year we marry so thankfully this only as to be done once a year if i,m approved? the rest is done by post so i understand ie 90 day reporting.

Anyway thanks again Shaun

Shaun,

To do a border run means you have to leave Thailand, enter the neighbouring country (therefore you have to buy a visa) and return straight back after you entered (got stamped-in) that country.

Here is a run down. You drive to Mukda Han and just before Mukda Han you make a left hand turn to the Friendship Bridge and park your car before the bridge itself.

From the parking lot you walk to the large building in front of you. There you buy a single bus ticket (if I remember correctly it is THB 50 and there are no return bus tickets available). Then you proceed to the Thai border booth and you will be stamped out there. After that you get onto the bus that brings you over the Friendship Bridge to the Laos side. There you fill-in the Laos visa form, pay THB 1500 or US $ 35 (that fee may differ from nationality to nationality approx. US $ 5). At the same time you also fill in a Laos arrival/departure card and the Laos officers there may ask you THB 20 pocket money for that form. Do not argue and loose time about THB 20, just pay it. You will get a 30 day visa for Laos and then stamped-in into Laos.

After that you just make a U-turn to the other side of the bridge. Buy a single bus ticket back to Thailand. You can pay in THB again. Then proceed to the Laos border booth and get stamped out of Laos and these Laos guys may ask you again THB 20. Pay it, it is just not worth bothering.

After that take the bus back to Thailand and at the Thai border booth present your passport and your arrival card, that you obtained previously from the bus people when you left Thailand. You will get a new Stamp to Stay. Check it as its date should read 90 days from the date you do that border run.

Do not worry, you will be an expert the moment you have done this once. Do not forget 1-2 passport pictures and have small money denominations ready.

By the way if your actual Stamp to Stay says 11/19, then I suggest you do that border run on 11/18 (latest) and your Stamp to Stay would then read 08/02/15.

Shaun,

To do a border run means you have to leave Thailand, enter the neighbouring country (therefore you have to buy a visa) and return straight back after you entered (got stamped-in) that country.

Here is a run down. You drive to Mukda Han and just before Mukda Han you make a left hand turn to the Friendship Bridge and park your car before the bridge itself.

From the parking lot you walk to the large building in front of you. There you buy a single bus ticket (if I remember correctly it is THB 50 and there are no return bus tickets available). Then you proceed to the Thai border booth and you will be stamped out there. After that you get onto the bus that brings you over the Friendship Bridge to the Laos side. There you fill-in the Laos visa form, pay THB 1500 or US $ 35 (that fee may differ from nationality to nationality approx. US $ 5). At the same time you also fill in a Laos arrival/departure card and the Laos officers there may ask you THB 20 pocket money for that form. Do not argue and loose time about THB 20, just pay it. You will get a 30 day visa for Laos and then stamped-in into Laos.

After that you just make a U-turn to the other side of the bridge. Buy a single bus ticket back to Thailand. You can pay in THB again. Then proceed to the Laos border booth and get stamped out of Laos and these Laos guys may ask you again THB 20. Pay it, it is just not worth bothering.

After that take the bus back to Thailand and at the Thai border booth present your passport and your arrival card, that you obtained previously from the bus people when you left Thailand. You will get a new Stamp to Stay. Check it as its date should read 90 days from the date you do that border run.

Do not worry, you will be an expert the moment you have done this once. Do not forget 1-2 passport pictures and have small money denominations ready.

By the way if your actual Stamp to Stay says 11/19, then I suggest you do that border run on 11/18 (latest) and your Stamp to Stay would then read 08/02/15.

Fantastic discription, yes i,m going this friday 16/11 my visa expires 7/2/08 so it works out great for last 3 months my flight home is 2/05/08 were i,m getting a new o visa from hull should be no problems there they like there £100 :D then back to marry we have just bought a rice harvester & truck together with family runing it, its going ok she wants to make me a kept man :o & just if anyone is wondering i,m bein seen 2 which i fully understand out here, its 50/50 thing as far as finance goes so i hope i have a good 1 here lol :D .

Shaun,

Do you know the name of paperwork i can ask for from immigration for proof of address i believe i read about this before in the forum.

Thanks Shaun

Do you know the name of paperwork i can ask for from immigration for proof of address i believe i read about this before in the forum.

Thanks Shaun

Are you talking about a Resident Confirmation? Such paper you will only get downtown at the Immigration office in Mukda Han.

Thanks Shaun

Are you talking about a Resident Confirmation? Such paper you will only get downtown at the Immigration office in Mukda Han.

Ok thanks i,ll see if i can nip in while i,m there its not to important right now.

Shaun,

Hi gzu88bv, i have questions and hope you or anyone in this forum can help me.

I come from Singapore and wish to stay here for a long period, perhaps like 1 yr or more. I travelled to M'sia and entered Thailand on the 24 Oct 07. I do not have any kind of visa and enter Thailand with my passport only. When crossing the customs at Thai/M'sia border at Padang Besar, i filled up a slip of paper and now together with my passport is only a piece of departure card. On my passport was stamped with 24 Oct 07 until 22 Nov 07.

Here are some questions:

1. Do i have to do the visa run as you mentioned? Is it so easy like you say, all i have to do is to leave Thailand and go to Malaysia then back to Thailand and i can stay for another 30 or 90 days?

2. I read some of the threads and saw things like going to Penang to do the visa run? What is the difference here?

3. I am still feeling lost about the type of visa i have now. Also what type of visa i need to stay in Thailand for longer period of time.

I sincerely need help here. Thank you in advance.

Lee

With a multi entry visa you must exit the country - enter another country and then return for a new 90 day permitted to stay stamp. Those that report to immigration every 90 days are doing so to report there address as they have one year extensions of stay.

Shaun,

I come from Singapore and wish to stay here for a long period, perhaps like 1 yr or more. I travelled to M'sia and entered Thailand on the 24 Oct 07. I do not have any kind of visa and enter Thailand with my passport only. When crossing the customs at Thai/M'sia border at Padang Besar, i filled up a slip of paper and now together with my passport is only a piece of departure card. On my passport was stamped with 24 Oct 07 until 22 Nov 07.

Here are some questions:

1. Do i have to do the visa run as you mentioned? Is it so easy like you say, all i have to do is to leave Thailand and go to Malaysia then back to Thailand and i can stay for another 30 or 90 days?

2. I read some of the threads and saw things like going to Penang to do the visa run? What is the difference here?

3. I am still feeling lost about the type of visa i have now. Also what type of visa i need to stay in Thailand for longer period of time.

Lee

1. You can go to Malaysia and return to obtain a new 30 day permitted to stay stamp - but only to a total of 90 days in any six month period.

2. You would obtain a visa in Penang, tourist, that allows a 60 day stay that can usually be extended 30 days and is not subject to the above 90 days in six month rule (but may be limited in number issued).

3. You have a visa exempt entry stamp. Unless you have business/retired/married to a Thai/or student a Thai a tourist visa may be all that you can obtain. It is not designed to living in Thailand.

Here are some questions:

Lee

1. You can go to Malaysia and return to obtain a new 30 day permitted to stay stamp - but only to a total of 90 days in any six month period.

2. You would obtain a visa in Penang, tourist, that allows a 60 day stay that can usually be extended 30 days and is not subject to the above 90 days in six month rule (but may be limited in number issued).

3. You have a visa exempt entry stamp. Unless you have business/retired/married to a Thai/or student a Thai a tourist visa may be all that you can obtain. It is not designed to living in Thailand.

1. So by 22 Nov, i must leave Thailand and come back again in order to stay for another 30 days. (Understand that max can do this for 90 days in 6 mths period)

2. Other than Penang, where can i obtain this particular visa? Can i do it myself?

Thanks Lopburi3 for the prompt answer. Appreciates your help a lot.

1. Yes - but best to leave on the 21st as the word used is "until" rather than "through" and that could mean leaving the proceeding day.

2. KL, Singapore, Vientiane, Savannakhet are other options.

Thank you very much again.....

Abt doing the visa thing, can i do it myself? Can teach me how to do it? The detailed procedures.... So the nearest to Southern Thailand will be Penang or KL to do it right?

You visit Consulate in morning with photo, copy of your passport data page, passport, fill out application and pay the fee. Next business afternoon you return to pick up passport with the visa. You enter Thailand and get stamp for 60 days - if you want to extend you visit immigration a few days before it expires with photo/passport page/passport and TM.7 form with 1,900 baht to obtain. In Penang many people use a travel office or other agents to submit the paperwork for them at a nominal cost (about the same as taxi fare).

You visit Consulate in morning with photo, copy of your passport data page, passport, fill out application and pay the fee. Next business afternoon you return to pick up passport with the visa. You enter Thailand and get stamp for 60 days - if you want to extend you visit immigration a few days before it expires with photo/passport page/passport and TM.7 form with 1,900 baht to obtain. In Penang many people use a travel office or other agents to submit the paperwork for them at a nominal cost (about the same as taxi fare).

Really got to thank you again for this impt info... Thanks alot.

With a multi entry visa you must exit the country - enter another country and then return for a new 90 day permitted to stay stamp. Those that report to immigration every 90 days are doing so to report there address as they have one year extensions of stay.

Hi Lopburi when/if i get my 1 year extention i understand about reporting for address confirmation every 90 days but i thought you can do by post/phone, but it sounds like you still have to go to nearest imm office? :o ok no border crossing to do, but this means still have to travel every 90 days? :D & i think Muckdahan is nearest imm office to me i,m from Kaset Wisei Roi Et just so i understand fully. Any one who Knows of a nearer imm office to me would be much appretiated.

Thanks Shaun

Hi Lopburi when/if i get my 1 year extention i understand about reporting for address confirmation every 90 days but i thought you can do by post/phone, but it sounds like you still have to go to nearest imm office? :o ok no border crossing to do, but this means still have to travel every 90 days? :D & i think Muckdahan is nearest imm office to me i,m from Kaset Wisei Roi Et just so i understand fully. Any one who Knows of a nearer imm office to me would be much appretiated.

Thanks Shaun

You can do it by post

You should be able to do by post to Bangkok. My post was to x9lee to explain what he mentioned as visiting immigration every 90 days - not that it was required that everyone visit immigration every 90 days. However, some people are reporting that they are being told they can no longer report by mail to upcountry office and must make a personal visit. We have not seen any such official word; and hope that we do not.

You should be able to do by post to Bangkok. My post was to x9lee to explain what he mentioned as visiting immigration every 90 days - not that it was required that everyone visit immigration every 90 days. However, some people are reporting that they are being told they can no longer report by mail to upcountry office and must make a personal visit. We have not seen any such official word; and hope that we do not.

Ok thanks Lopburi i,ll ask any more questions on extention of stay as i get nearer to applying, i read posts most days to keep up with news so i,ll keep reading & learning, again thanks for info great service from all.

Shaun