Farang Food Tout

N47HAN

walking down rat u thit the other night and watched an english guy touting the punters to eat in a restaurant .

Now personally my opinion on this is , good luck to him and hope he brings the punters in , was in a strange way ok to be asked by a brit if i wanted to eat their as opposed all the thais .

Now im guessing there is no wp availiable to him , so is he the owner or just reckons hel_l be ok ?

Won't be long before neighbouring Thai owned resturants report him to police & immigration. I would guess he will be in a whole heap of trouble, even if he has a WP (which is unlikely).

Yes, won't last a week. probably without WP, and even with WP: it won't cover touting.

Well if you ever happen to eat in a certain newish restaurant in Soi Sansabai then a certain British lady - if she happens to be there - will probably speak to you (perhaps suggesting the establishment's delicious desserts) . Thereafter, she will almost certainly collar you for another meal if you happen to look her way when walking past. She does it in the friendliest way, though, and is obviously getting away with it. I must admit that I had those same WP thoughts but I didn't have the heart to say anything to her because she is so pleasant; maybe I was doing the wrong thing by her in not discussing the issue with her?

BTW for those who contributed to the 'best roast' thread, I noted that the Islander was mentioned and suggest that, when in Soi Sansabai, you try Sheila's Restaurant for a comparison both on price and quality (next door to Yorkshire Inn, which also does a very good roast, albeit now a bit pricey).

An Indian in a turban wanders around Chalong handing out business cards for his Mr. India restaurant.

If the English guy is legal and pays taxes why shouldn't he "advertise"

Had a leaflet from him yonks ago.

I frequent Mr India, not bad actually.

I go to Chalong 3 - 4 times a year from NZ.

So restful, laid back, compared with other Phuket places.

I hire a scooter for 150 baht a day, reg customer......LOL

Most of the dive places are farang run, owned.

My nephew owns one, bin there 20 years.

could it be possible these people have pr or even thai citizenship?? I recal several years ago seeing a (40's) farang women cooking corn near kaoh san road. was a funny sight as she was with a bunch of thai women vendors but seemed to fit in. And a couple of months ago was at the new airport & an older american bloke was checking in for a flight with a thai id card, didn't speak a word of thai either by his own admission!

could it be possible these people have pr or even thai citizenship?? I recal several years ago seeing a (40's) farang women cooking corn near kaoh san road. was a funny sight as she was with a bunch of thai women vendors but seemed to fit in. And a couple of months ago was at the new airport & an older american bloke was checking in for a flight with a thai id card, didn't speak a word of thai either by his own admission!

Correct Boo, some farangs are just simply real Thai. Born here and by so Thai :o

Correct Boo, some farangs are just simply real Thai. Born here and by so Thai :o

What are you on about ?? Being born in Thailand doesnt confer you Thai citizenship !!!

You need one parent to be Thai to get Thai nationality and then your not 'farang' are you ?? Luk Krung at least.

I suspect that any farang completely fluent in Thai & Thai customs & well known to the locals, would be more likely to be accepted in the community, and 'get away' with many activities that other farangs could not even think about.

Let's not forget the Pie Man who used to go up and down Bangla every night with foam coolers full of British Pies asking "Can I interest you in a pie"..He did it for years and made good cash in the process without getting hassled by anyone. I heard he passed away though..

do you know her donna? could have been chicken when I saw her but I just wonder why she does it!

i dont know her as such, but she is certainly the odd one out with all the ladies at the end of the street. not sure why she does it. could be a need to fit in, could be a financial thing(?). dunno really.